Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Live Music Performances

Hall of Famer

Re: Favorite Live Music Performances

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I've heard that, but no way to know for sure. It's one of those "unless you were there you don't really know" deals. You know what I mean?
    Yea, rumors are rampant..... I was going thru a Burger King drive-thru (while living in Daytona Beach) when I heard the news about the crash... Strange how you remember certain things...

I saw a bunch of local music when workin at Lynagh's Pub downtown Lexington.

Saw 1997 Smokin Grooves tour, Roots opening, Eryka Baduh (sp), Outkast, Cypress Hill, and George Clinton and P-Funk.

That one and Roger Waters - In the Flesh tour at Riverbend were probably my favorites.

I've also seen Megadeth, Testament, STP, and Judas Priest together.

I've seen Obituary, Death, Cannibal Corpse...the Death show was cool because I got to talk to Chuck about teaching him how to read music (RIP).

Saw Government Mule.

Used to dig this band Heavy Weather that came through Lexington...
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I've been to 100+ shows easy and it's impossible for me to narrow it down. Every show I go to is special or unique in some way. Most of the artists' shows I've been to I've seen more than once...with the exception of a few. Seems I'm never disappointed.

Just to name a few...Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in a pouring rain. The Who twice...for the 25th anniversary of Tommy AND for the 25th anniversary of Quadrophenia. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck trading solos at the Milwaukee Arena. Blues Traveler jamming for over 4 hours at the Rave in Milwaukee. A bill of Dave Matthews and Big Head Todd and the Monsters for $25 in 1994 before DMB blew up. Buddy Guy at Summerfest in Milwaukee...coming out into the crowd and eventually stopping in front of a quadriplegic man in the audience...then using the guy's finger to gently pick his guitar. The Allman Brothers before they kicked out Dickey Betts.

But I guess I'd have to say the one nearest and dearest to my heart was Stevie Ray Vaughan's last show at Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy, WI...right near Madison. Such a great show put on by Eric Clapton, Robert Cray and SRV...along with all the guest musicians. Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy jamming along with them. 7 guitar players on stage and each taking a solo during Sweet Home Chicago...the last song Stevie ever played.

Coincidentally, the helicopter that crashed was headed back to Chicago...they were all staying in Chicago and were heading back for a jam at Buddy's bar (Legends) before calling it a night.

RIP Stevie.

Wow! I recall that era, was it 91/92'? I was a junior or senior in HS and the guy that I carpooled with was a guitar player and adored SRV. Our ride to school that morning was very emotional for him. I'll never forget that morning with him.

Legend

8/27/90

Pro Bowler

I have been to many shows in the past 20 years. The shows that stick out to me are the ones with the smallest crowds (2500 or less): Black Crowes (circa 97), Saliva (last Feb).

But one show (80,000+) that will always stick out is the Summer Sanitarium Tour w/Metallica, Korn, Kid Rock, & System of a Down @ Sparta Speedway in KY that happened the summer of 2000. Hetfield was in a boating accident a few days before the show and unable to perform. So, people from the other bands on the bill filled with the rest of Metallica during their set. For instanst, J. Davis from Korn sang "One", Kid Rock sang "Sad But True" and led an all star version of "Jumpin Jack Flash" by the Stones. It's ashame that the true Metallica were not able to perform, but the impromptu show that I saw was a once in a life time experience. There are some clips of this show on YouTube that I check out from time to time.

Hall of Famer

ozzfest 97 at star lake in pittsburgh first time ozzy was back with sabbath. pantera was co headliner. skipped my high school graduation to go. was worth it.
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

motter1975

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Man, you young guys..... .... I'm pushing "the closer side of 50" now.....
    So, A Pirate Looks at 50??

Never woulda guessed you were a Parrothead from your avatar...

Gotta say, Buffett has put on the best concerts I've seen...ever. I've gotten to see him 4 times, once at Starlake, and 3 times at the Va Beach ampitheater. And you're right, each one is different, and all an experience unto themselves.

Then again, I'm a Parrothead from the womb. My Mom's whole family is. Something about his music always puts me in a better frame of mind. In fact, when I was going through my obnoxious teenage years, Mom would put on some Jimmy just to put me in a better mood. Worked every time!

The other concerts I've seen that I've been impressed with...
    Billy Joel (first concert I ever went to, when I was 15, shortly before my first Buffett show) at Star Lake
    Rod Stewart
    Toby Keith (seen him 3 times now, and he puts on a good show every time)
    Rascall Flats

And surprisingly, Styx. I've seen them a bunch of times, as my fiance is a big fan, and actually went to high school with them, not that he know them now or anything, so we make a point to go see them whenever they come to town. They still sound good (a lot of that's 'cause it's mostly not the original members), and I always have a great time at the show.

Pro Bowler

1986 Saw the Ramones in the basement of the Syria Mosque in Pgh (sadly not there anymore). Out of hand fun!! Got tossed around in the pit.

Saw The Replacements when they opened up for Tom Petty. They were notorious for how drunk they got before and during live shows. By the end they were slurring the words and barely able to play. Drunkest I ever saw a band.

Dual headlining show with Joe Cocker and Stevie Ray Vaughn both playing full sets.

Lallapalloza 4 (1994) - The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, and George Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars.

U2 two months after 9-11. Stripped down show where there was nothing but them and a stage. Played tons of the old music and at the end finished with 2 movie sized screens with all of the names that perished. Very moving.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by motter1975
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Man, you young guys..... .... I'm pushing "the closer side of 50" now.....
    So, A Pirate Looks at 50??

Never woulda guessed you were a Parrothead from your avatar...

Gotta say, Buffett has put on the best concerts I've seen...ever. I've gotten to see him 4 times, once at Starlake, and 3 times at the Va Beach ampitheater. And you're right, each one is different, and all an experience unto themselves.

Then again, I'm a Parrothead from the womb. My Mom's whole family is. Something about his music always puts me in a better frame of mind. In fact, when I was going through my obnoxious teenage years, Mom would put on some Jimmy just to put me in a better mood. Worked every time!
    I should incorporate that line somehow!..... (it was also a great book, BTW...) Glad to know there's more of us on here!...

I haven't seen much live music, but I get chills watchin Dave Matthews Band. Been to about 4 or 5 shows now, and it just gets better everytime. The radio does them no justice, they are made to play live, and the show is amazing. Seen em in Columbus several times and Cleveland once. I've got a lot of their live shows downloaded as well from a sharing site devoted to DMB. Really good stuff.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285