Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 Simple Stat to keep in mind for this year

Pro Bowler

Re: 1 Simple Stat to keep in mind for this year

It appears those ratings mean diddly, pooh, squat. I would not put to much stock into them.

[quote=Mr Smartmonies][quote="Les 74":1df4dd2k]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":1df4dd2k
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    That's not a stat...It's another power poll. Luckily, the NFL ain't the BCS.
    stat, record, what makes the difference. And please spare me that it doesn't mean much.
    Go to the sagarin ratings and check out the REd Wings record against the Top ten teams. Then get back to me. Sagarin is not some dumb power poll. Don't ever speak about something that your so clueless on. Educate yourself or stay out of the thread.
    MSM,was there really a reason to be so hostile??There's no need for that.[/quote:1df4dd2k]

Well, I posted this so we could havea discussion on the concern of the upcoming tough schedule with the Steelers inability to beat a good team in the past 2 years. But as soon as Ruthlesburger blew it off to being some power poll, I knew the thread was shot.
    but if course I'm not carrying pom poms and anything negative with regards tothe Steelers will be immediately blown off by someone who apparently doesn't have a clue.
    Hence, no true discussion will take place. Then you got Oveido posting in every one of my threads saying "stats lie." Yea, you guys are right about one thing. Same ol Stuff over here.[/quote:1df4dd2k]

First, I agree with you. The Steelers have indeed had problems against the tougher teams the past two seasons. The reason? Well, partly it's a lack of a running game that can sustain drives, OL/DL and the pass rush. I believe 2 of the 4 will be MUCH better (RB and pass rush). The DL suffered due to the A Smith injury. The OL...well it can't be much worse than it was last season. I think this boils down to not being able to beat the better teams if you can't control the trenches and pressure the QB.

As for all the rest of the stuff...MSM it's a freaggin message board...people will always disagree. You of all people should know throwing out personal nonsense only weakens your credibility. I think in the future it might help just to stick to the facts. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    That's not a stat...It's another power poll. Luckily, the NFL ain't the BCS.
    stat, record, what makes the difference. And please spare me that it doesn't mean much.
    Go to the sagarin ratings and check out the REd Wings record against the Top ten teams. Then get back to me. Sagarin is not some dumb power poll. Don't ever speak about something that your so clueless on. Educate yourself or stay out of the thread.
    So this should predict the outcome of future games? Or is this a formula that shows past results and why they occurred?

It looks likes its based on team records, but what will it tell me in week 4?

You say it shows that we haven't beaten a Sagarin top ten team in the last 2 years, but we were 18-14 over that time frame. Were those teams that we lost to in the Sagarin top ten at the time of the loss, or did they end up in the Sagarin top ten because of beating us?

I'm not sure I see the usefulness of his rankings other than ranking the teams after they finished the season, but I think I might have failed stats once or twice in college, so maybe I don't fully grasp the concepts.

On the otherhand I used to use past performance stats with a few rules averaged into the Beyer speed ratings to win a lot of money at the track for a few months, but then I went into a slump and decided that most past performance formulas were BS and I was just lucky for a while.

See Y'all later. Not sure why I was asked to post here but I don't have the time
    for the aggravation. Good luck to the Steelers this season.

See Y'all later. Not sure why I was asked to post here but I don't have the time
    Well, that makes two of us. Glad to see that it didn't take long for you to validate your membership in the LoD.

Goodbye MSM...you'll be missed.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

And just like that,he's gone.One argument and POOF!!!

Do we hold some kind of memorial? I mean one time somebody disagrees and he's gone. I don't think that kind of tenure of douchebaggery commands much of a memorial.

Anyway, I jokingly give the guy a hard time every so often, but I usually enjoyed reading some of his stuff.

Oh well, that's it. I have a feeling he will be back, but if not here's a friendly tip: Don't let the door hit you in the arse...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

BIG FAN

[quote=Les 74]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":1xvtepeg
    And just like that,he's gone.One argument and POOF!!! [/quote:1xvtepeg]

Smartmovemonies.

Dont let it hit you in the ...

I was just saying to Shawn how I have nothing against MSM and enjoyed his particular perspective of the game. I never found him to be abrasive or spiteful. How could you come and post something on a message board and get upset about a little ribbing or disagreement. I guess he left to get his diaper changed.

First, MSM is not a douchebag nor a member of the LoD. He is a solid poster with some ego issues...much like some other members I know. I'm personally not sure why there is so much hate for the guy. Even if I don't agree with him I find his posts interesting.

With all of that said, MSM to let a few guys who don't like you...run you off...well that's a biotch move. It's weak, immature and I would think that a person who places himself in a public position would be used to criticism.