Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photoshopping

Kipper

Re: Photoshopping

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Ok, I posted a test poll on the comments page and here’s the scoop:

Poster is limited to only 10 poll choices. I’m certain board admin can increase that number since there will more than likely be over 10 entries for each contest.

It is possible to limit voters to only 2 choices.

It is possible to limit the number of days votes can be cast.

It is possible to allow re-voting which means posters can change their votes.

It looks like having the number of poll choices increased makes this a very easy contest to score since setting up a poll is so simple even a caveman (or Costanza) can do it!

J/K Costanza!
    The Admin here has the ability to increase the number of Poll choices. For a Photoshop contest, we generally haven't gotten more than 20 on most occasions (at least that I'm aware of, MJG would know what the average is better than me). In any account, the point is that there is the ability to increase the poll choices if someone wants to shmooze the admin.

Sounds like MJG ran this more like a college football bracket. Awarding points for first place picks, basically going with a more overall point system. I have no probloem or see no problem going to a poll system. It makes likfe a heck of a lot easier. Could change it up where there is an overall point system for places. For example if there are 10 choices Then you could give the winner of that particular contest - 10 and the 10th place person - 0. If there's more than 10 that posted a picture, well 11 and so on also gets o and this could be used at the end of the year to figure out who wins overall and also for others to see where they were placed. Could also update the rankings if each person on each new contest thread so people knew where the standings are and what not.

Just throwing out some ideas. MJG did a lot of work from what I can tell but he had to be crafty since there was no poll options at the Trib

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say thanks to MJG for the work and to Costanza for stepping up to fill the void. I'd help, but I'm going back to school in the fall so I'm not going to have a lot of time on my hands.

Thanks guys.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper
    Ok, I posted a test poll on the comments page and here’s the scoop:

Poster is limited to only 10 poll choices. I’m certain board admin can increase that number since there will more than likely be over 10 entries for each contest.

It is possible to limit voters to only 2 choices.

It is possible to limit the number of days votes can be cast.

It is possible to allow re-voting which means posters can change their votes.

It looks like having the number of poll choices increased makes this a very easy contest to score since setting up a poll is so simple even a caveman (or Costanza) can do it!

J/K Costanza!
    The Admin here has the ability to increase the number of Poll choices. For a Photoshop contest, we generally haven't gotten more than 20 on most occasions (at least that I'm aware of, MJG would know what the average is better than me). In any account, the point is that there is the ability to increase the poll choices if someone wants to shmooze the admin.

Sounds like MJG ran this more like a college football bracket. Awarding points for first place picks, basically going with a more overall point system. I have no probloem or see no problem going to a poll system. It makes likfe a heck of a lot easier. Could change it up where there is an overall point system for places. For example if there are 10 choices Then you could give the winner of that particular contest - 10 and the 10th place person - 0. If there's more than 10 that posted a picture, well 11 and so on also gets o and this could be used at the end of the year to figure out who wins overall and also for others to see where they were placed. Could also update the rankings if each person on each new contest thread so people knew where the standings are and what not.

Just throwing out some ideas. MJG did a lot of work from what I can tell but he had to be crafty since there was no poll options at the Trib
    That is very true and will probably work. You are correct in that I did go through some hoops. I would say that we should try it as a poll. Most contests did not go over 20 entries. Only 1 or 2 did (Brady Quinn and Michaell Vick) but I don' think that is a very likely scenario.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am seriously bummed...once the photoshop contests get rolling I will not be able to participate.

My version of Microsoft PhotoDraw is somehow corrupted and will not open.

I've searched through what I thought was the install disc and cant find the setup exe anywhere. I thought maybe I could reinstall it and I can't.

I found a torrent for it that downloads a zip file. I tried installing from there and I keep getting error messages. I really don't know what to do. PhotoDraw was such an easy to use program and I knew it very well. I've tried using the gimp and paint.net but I just can't figure them out. PhotoDraw had a tool that would allow me to trace a line around part of an image to cut it out. From what I can tell that's not an option with either gimp or paint.net. If it is I sure as hell can't find it. The layers in PhotoDraw were also much easier to work with. Basically, it was a very nice program for a novice photoshopper to use.

But no more. I checked eBay and Amazon...the prices for software that has not been available since 2000 (Microsoft stopped development of PhotoDraw) are simply ridiculous. Over $100 for digital imaging software that's been out of development for over 8 years???

If anyone has this program (it was part of windows 2000) or can figure out how to download it and put it on a disc so I can reinstall it I will gladly compensate you (to a point) for your efforts, generosity, etc.

I seriously miss this program and I really want it back. I had so much fun participating in those contests and now I'm screwed.

I really hope someone can help cuz this sucks beyond sucking.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am seriously bummed...once the photoshop contests get rolling I will not be able to participate.

My version of Microsoft PhotoDraw is somehow corrupted and will not open.

I've searched through what I thought was the install disc and cant find the setup exe anywhere. I thought maybe I could reinstall it and I can't.

I found a torrent for it that downloads a zip file. I tried installing from there and I keep getting error messages. I really don't know what to do. PhotoDraw was such an easy to use program and I knew it very well. I've tried using the gimp and paint.net but I just can't figure them out. PhotoDraw had a tool that would allow me to trace a line around part of an image to cut it out. From what I can tell that's not an option with either gimp or paint.net. If it is I sure as hell can't find it. The layers in PhotoDraw were also much easier to work with. Basically, it was a very nice program for a novice photoshopper to use.

But no more. I checked eBay and Amazon...the prices for software that has not been available since 2000 (Microsoft stopped development of PhotoDraw) are simply ridiculous. Over $100 for digital imaging software that's been out of development for over 8 years???

If anyone has this program (it was part of windows 2000) or can figure out how to download it and put it on a disc so I can reinstall it I will gladly compensate you (to a point) for your efforts, generosity, etc.

I seriously miss this program and I really want it back. I had so much fun participating in those contests and now I'm screwed.

I really hope someone can help cuz this sucks beyond sucking.
    Here is a free program (and a cheap upgrade) that isn't bad.

[url="http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PagePlus/default.asp?SP=G305&gclid=CNfu8snn3pMCFQtvGgodcnzh Wg"]http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... GgodcnzhWg[/url]

GIMP is REALLY hard to use. If you have the newest version, there is a (supposedly) good book about it.

paint.net has a lasso tool, but it sucks. There is a trick in one of their forums:

[url="http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15"]http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15[/url]

In particulare, here is the tutorial: [url="http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841"]http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopi ... =15&t=4841[/url]

It still is different getting used to dealing with the layers.

Good luck.
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

MJG - Thanks for the info. I downloaded the free one you posted but I don't see a tool that allows me to trace around an object and cut it out, which is obviously an essential element.

I also tried the method explained in the tutorial for paint.net and gave up after a several minutes of not being able to get the line and the "nubs" where they needed to be.

I WANT MY PHOTODRAW BACK!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MJG - Thanks for the info. I downloaded the free one you posted but I don't see a tool that allows me to trace around an object and cut it out, which is obviously an essential element.

I also tried the method explained in the tutorial for paint.net and gave up after a several minutes of not being able to get the line and the "nubs" where they needed to be.

Serif does. I just reinstalled it to try it. See the picture below. It is the 3rd option from the left under the selection tool. (note the program does crash some, so save your work a lot.

another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

Serif does. I just reinstalled it to try it. See the picture below. It is the 3rd option from the left under the selection tool. (note the program does crash some, so save your work a lot.

How come the version I have looks so different?

And no selection tool???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because you downloaded and installeded PAGEPLUS and not PHOTOPLUS!!!

One other thing - when you use photoplus you don't have to trace around and copy as precisely as you do with photodraw. This is because, with photoplus, you can erase between layers. So you have the ability to trace roughly and then erase out the extra with more precision.

How come the version I have looks so different?

And no selection tool?

another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude...that's because the link you gave me sent me to Page Plus!!! :P