Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FUUUU!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

FUUUU!

[url="http://news.steelers.com/article/88931/"]http://news.steelers.com/article/88931/[/url]

Where Are They Now?

CHRIS FUAMATU-MA’AFALA

Running Back
    1998-2002
    Resides in Hawaii

What is your current job and what does it entail?

I am working with Army Youth Sports. We organize games and different sports for kids in military families. We have different programs for them, have sports games for them. I help put the programs together and implement them. It’s a lot of fun. We are able to do football camps using the military facility. It helps out a lot because it can hold a lot of people. We have had a lot of football camps. It’s awesome.

Did you ever help at football camps for kids while you wee playing for the Steelers?

I did a couple of football camps up there that Merril Hoge and Chris Conrad ran. That got me interested. Plus football is what I have been doing all of my life. That’s what I know and I wanted to give back to the community. Sports are what I do. It’s right up my alley.

What is the reaction you get from kids having a former NFL player helping out?

It’s big, especially me coming from Hawaii. It kind of gives them hope. What has been happening lately is there is a big boom of Polynesian players getting drafted or a shot at the NFL. It’s been good. I never got to visit with any Polynesian professional football players. They usually all stayed on the mainland after the season. I saw them on television but never got to meet them. This is a good way to show them a face and show the kids that they can make it too.

What is the fondest memory from your playing career?

I would have to say when I used to drive to Three Rivers Stadium and I would come in with a broken down car. It was the only old car to pull up. Everybody else had the up-to-date brand new cars but when I would pull in the fans would still be excited to see me. That was huge. I will never forget that. What great fans.

What was your best game?

I didn’t get to play much so that’s hard. I would say a game against Cleveland when I scored. I played a lot on special teams, more than I did on offense. But at the end Amos Zereoue hurt his shoulder and they put me in at the end.

What did you like most about playing for the Steelers?

Everything was like a family. I miss the fans. It wasn’t the same when I went to Jacksonville. Steelers fans are so loyal. The friendships, the city are great. It will always be my second home. I can’t wait to come back and visit. I want to take a trip back.

Did it amaze you the way the fans embraced you?

When you aren’t playing as much you figure you are not going to have a good fan base. But that was not the case for me. The fans in Pittsburgh realize how players play. I know they saw me get knocked out on a kickoff a couple of times, but they knew what they wee going to get when I took the field. I was going to give it everything I had. That’s the one thing I always appreciated about the fans is they could separate the real from the fake. It was awesome.

Who were the teammates you were closest to during your playing days?

Kimo von Oelhoffen, being from Hawaii, and I were close. Troy Edwards, Joey Porter, Hines Ward – we all came in the same class. Deshea Townsend, Alan Faneca, Jerame Tuman. I was close with everyone. There were so many friendships. During training camp we would stay up late and hang out. I really miss that part of the game.

Do you still keep in touch with former teammates?

Oh yeah. Whenever I get a chance I give them a call or text them. I am going to meet up with Jerome Bettis soon. He is coming to Hawaii and we are going to get together. He was a big part of my career coming up.

Was it important to your development to have a guy like Jerome helping you?

That was big. That was huge. Me coming out of college I was raw. I didn’t really understand things. Between the tackles there are a lot of adjustments running backs have to make. Watching him on film and sitting in the meeting room by him he would whisper advice – see what I did here. It was the little stuff that helped me. It helped me in my career. He was a big plus for me.

Do you still follow the Steelers and if so, how closely?

That’s my team. I will never be remembered as a Jaguar. I will always be remembered as a Steeler.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

BIG FAN

Re: FUUUU!

Good post.
    I guess it's like Woodson said, "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler."
    Like what he's doing with those kids too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too bad Fu couldn't stay healthy. he was one of my favorite Steelers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Too bad Fu couldn't stay healthy. he was one of my favorite Steelers.
    I liked him too, thought he was going to be a big bruiser early on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Loved Fu!!! One bad Ma'afala!!!

Who will ever forget his td in the Browns playoff game??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

Just watched that game on my DVR last night. I still get goosebumps on that draw. And to this day, I still don't know how we won that game. I'm only 32, but we had a lot of good teams in my heyday, and a lot of good games were played, but that has to be in my top 3 games watched of all time as a Steelers fan. Quite possibly No. 1 if we hadn't won a Super Bowl.

To echo what others on this thread have commented already, I am very proud of our team and fan base. I'm also proud of guys like Fu. In an era when too many players are out for themselves and will never understand what it means to learn from a teammate, and to play a team concept, this guy got it. To hear him say things like he will always be a Steeler means a lot, especially since he didn;t play all that long here. I know others roll their eyes at me when I say it, but being a Steelers fan means something special, and there are only a short few teams in the NFL whose fans can say that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

Just watched that game on my DVR last night. I still get goosebumps on that draw. And to this day, I still don't know how we won that game. I'm only 32, but we had a lot of good teams in my heyday, and a lot of good games were played, but that has to be in my top 3 games watched of all time as a Steelers fan. Quite possibly No. 1 if we hadn't won a Super Bowl.

To echo what others on this thread have commented already, I am very proud of our team and fan base. I'm also proud of guys like Fu. In an era when too many players are out for themselves and will never understand what it means to learn from a teammate, and to play a team concept, this guy got it. To hear him say things like he will always be a Steeler means a lot, especially since he didn;t play all that long here. I know others roll their eyes at me when I say it, but being a Steelers fan means something special, and there are only a short few teams in the NFL whose fans can say that.

Absolutely $$$. If I had the clapping emoticon, I'd give you a couple of those as well!

Fu was a rock man. I love how appreciative he is of the fans too. Its good to see the players recognize how enthralled we fans are in this team. That's why we are the best fan base in the NFL!!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Looked all over the internet for video of that TD to no avail. If anyone has a link, I'm sure we would all be much abliged. I know I just saw it on my DVR, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher

Looked all over the internet for video of that TD to no avail. If anyone has a link, I'm sure we would all be much abliged. I know I just saw it on my DVR, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    I did a quick google search for the pic and nothing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fu was always one of my favorite players. i really thought he was gonna take over for Jerome... too bad he ended up in jax.