Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haselrig Returns To Cage

Hall of Famer

Re: Haselrig Returns To Cage

Haselrig still perfect on career
    The Tribune-Democrat

NEWARK, N.J. — Carlton Haselrig is making a name for himself in the world of mixed martial arts, even if that name is changing between fights.

Haselrig, who now goes by “The Convincer,” was just that in earning his second win in two pro bouts, when his opponent, Carlos Moreno, refused to come out of his corner to begin Round 2 on Saturday night.

Haselrig, a 42-year-old Johnstown native, used the moniker “Don’t Blink” in a convincing first-round victory over Shane Ott during his debut pro bout a few months ago. Haselrig seemed equally in control of Moreno, who is from Elizabeth, N.J., not far from the Prudential Center in Newark where the event was staged.

It was an undercard for a night that included the network television debut of the MMA with EliteXC Saturday Night Fights on CBS.

Haselrig controlled the heavyweight bout from early on against Moreno (5-3), making use of his ground skills just as he had done against Ott on April 19. Haselrig rained blows on Moreno throughout the first round.

The break between rounds gave Moreno a chance to think things over, and he elected not to come out for the second, giving Haselrig the TKO victory.

“It don’t matter, I’m taking them all,” Haselrig was heard saying on a live Web stream broadcast of the fight.

Haselrig is a former Pittsburgh Steelers lineman and was a six-time NCAA wrestling champion during his tenure at Pitt-Johstown.

His opponent for Saturday night had changed multiple times before finalizing a bout with Moreno 10 days ago.

Moreno’s last contest was in October 2007, when he was submitted by highly regarded Kevin Jordan.

Jordan had been mentioned as a possible opponent for Haselrig before Moreno was selected.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want to see Haselrig and Kimbo Slice fight...oh yea that would be
    nice.
    Did you see the Kimbo Slice fight last night? I was just waiting for that ear to pop.
    It was so disturbing, yet so entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I want to see Haselrig and Kimbo Slice fight...oh yea that would be
    nice.
    Did you see the Kimbo Slice fight last night? I was just waiting for that ear to pop.
    It was so disturbing, yet so entertaining.

I used to watch his backyard brawls for cash on youtube. Talk about messing people up. This guy is an animal. Haselrig wouldn't stand a chance with Kimbo. Sorry, Kimbo has youth on his side and what a motor. I would think Haselrig would have a slight chance if he got Kimbo on the ground. Kimbo's been working with a Brazillian Jujitsu instructor since he's been in MMA, but I haven't seen a fight yet, with him on the card.