Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article on Capizzi

Legend

Interesting Article on Capizzi

Maybe the staff know something we don't and that's why they aren't panicking about the OL like the casual "experts" do.

Game slowing down for Capizzi

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 28, 2008

The Steelers cut Jason Capizzi last year -- reluctantly so -- but got a break when they were able to put the massive offensive tackle back on their roster. Capizzi says the game's slowing down for him, and that could make him the buzz of training camp -- again.

PITTSBURGH – Last summer was a joyride for Jason Capizzi. He was the super sleeper out of IUP, the hometown longshot who captured imaginations as a post-draft steal, a 6-foot-9 offensive tackle with great feet.
    Word had it that Kevin Colbert was talking him up big behind closed doors.

And then Capizzi got cut.

Dream over.

Until now.

While he’s not the fresh name reporters love to discuss, he is drawing raves from behind closed doors. “He’ll amaze you,” said one source with the team.

But this time, this year, Capizzi isn’t getting worked up by the buzz.

“Just trying to get better, man,” was his response yesterday after the sixth Steelers OTA workout.

Capizzi has only been through four of the workouts. He was in a walking boot for a month because of a stress fracture in his foot. But he was in uniform to start last week and has been working at left tackle with the second team. He’s still feeling some pain, and won’t heed the training staff’s caution that he stop for a break, because: “I’ve got to make this team,” he said.

Capizzi was asked about what happened last year.

“I thought I had the team made,” he said. “But nothing’s ever guaranteed in this sport. So, I went out and did my thing. I went out and went against different competition: different schemes, different fronts, different kinds of players.

And I think I got better from it.

“I’m glad to be back now, very glad. It’s nice coming in here, like last year at this time I was definitely afraid of going against James Harrison and this year the game has just slowed down a lot.” Capizzi spent time last year on the practice squads of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs wanted to keep him through the offseason and into this year’s training camp, but the Steelers plucked him off the Chiefs’ practice squad and put Capizzi on their roster for the playoff game after Max Starks got hurt. The Chiefs weren’t pleased.

“They were mad,” Capizzi said. “I actually had my final meeting with Kansas City before I came home for the offseason. But before I left Kansas City to come home I got a call from my agent saying Pittsburgh was picking me up for the playoffs, before I was even on the plane. So it was a nice plane ride home.”

Why were the Chiefs mad?

“My agent told me they were pretty upset, but I was kind of upset with Kansas City. You lost the last nine games of the year and they’re getting their proverbial butts kicked and I thought I was better than some of them and felt they should’ve brought me up off the practice squad. And I knew they had 45 draft picks this year and I knew they were going to bring in every guy known to man, so I didn’t know what my future was like and I kind of knew things better here.”

He’s a new man, a hardened-but-wiser man, a man with a plan.

“Yeah,” he said. “I’m trying to gain not just my coaches’ respect by playing the game, I’m also trying to gain my teammates’ respect, that they can trust me being out there and they know I’m going to be able to get the job done and help them win games and win a Super Bowl.”

The key?

“Everything’s just slowed down,” he said.

Capizzi weighs 330 pounds, about five pounds heavier than the Steelers want him to be in training camp. Will he approach this training camp any differently than his first camp?

“No,” he said. “I’m going to do everything I did last year – work hard. I’m going to be obviously a little better at what I’m doing out there. I won’t be as nervous out there. I’m going to do whatever I can.”

Does he feel more status, more respect from his teammates as he enters his second camp?

“Yeah, a little bit,” he said. “I’m trying to gain it every day.”
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

Re: Interesting Article on Capizzi

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Maybe the staff know something we don't and that's why they aren't panicking about the OL like the casual "experts" do.

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 28, 2008

The Steelers cut Jason Capizzi last year -- reluctantly so -- but got a break when they were able to put the massive offensive tackle back on their roster. Capizzi says the game's slowing down for him, and that could make him the buzz of training camp -- again.

PITTSBURGH – Last summer was a joyride for Jason Capizzi. He was the super sleeper out of IUP, the hometown longshot who captured imaginations as a post-draft steal, a 6-foot-9 offensive tackle with great feet.

Dream over.

Until now.

While he’s not the fresh name reporters love to discuss, he is drawing raves from behind closed doors. “He’ll amaze you,” said one source with the team.

“Just trying to get better, man,” was his response yesterday after the sixth Steelers OTA workout.

Capizzi has only been through four of the workouts. He was in a walking boot for a month because of a stress fracture in his foot. But he was in uniform to start last week and has been working at left tackle with the second team. He’s still feeling some pain, and won’t heed the training staff’s caution that he stop for a break, because: “I’ve got to make this team,” he said.

“I thought I had the team made,” he said. “But nothing’s ever guaranteed in this sport. So, I went out and did my thing. I went out and went against different competition: different schemes, different fronts, different kinds of players.

“I’m glad to be back now, very glad. It’s nice coming in here, like last year at this time I was definitely afraid of going against James Harrison and this year the game has just slowed down a lot.” Capizzi spent time last year on the practice squads of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs wanted to keep him through the offseason and into this year’s training camp, but the Steelers plucked him off the Chiefs’ practice squad and put Capizzi on their roster for the playoff game after Max Starks got hurt. The Chiefs weren’t pleased.

“They were mad,” Capizzi said. “I actually had my final meeting with Kansas City before I came home for the offseason. But before I left Kansas City to come home I got a call from my agent saying Pittsburgh was picking me up for the playoffs, before I was even on the plane. So it was a nice plane ride home.”

Why were the Chiefs mad?

“My agent told me they were pretty upset, but I was kind of upset with Kansas City. You lost the last nine games of the year and they’re getting their proverbial butts kicked and I thought I was better than some of them and felt they should’ve brought me up off the practice squad. And I knew they had 45 draft picks this year and I knew they were going to bring in every guy known to man, so I didn’t know what my future was like and I kind of knew things better here.”

“Yeah,” he said. “I’m trying to gain not just my coaches’ respect by playing the game, I’m also trying to gain my teammates’ respect, that they can trust me being out there and they know I’m going to be able to get the job done and help them win games and win a Super Bowl.”

The key?

Capizzi weighs 330 pounds, about five pounds heavier than the Steelers want him to be in training camp. Will he approach this training camp any differently than his first camp?

“No,” he said. “I’m going to do everything I did last year – work hard. I’m going to be obviously a little better at what I’m doing out there. I won’t be as nervous out there. I’m going to do whatever I can.”

Does he feel more status, more respect from his teammates as he enters his second camp?

I felt the Steelers wanted to put him on the PS but he got snatched away. I thought I read somewhere when KC signed him that KC was considering drafting him in the lower rounds. I thought he showed some potential in the preseason last year. His size is great for a OT and he does have pretty good feet for a big guy. I'm pulling for him!
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 28, 2008

Dream over.

Until now.

Why were the Chiefs mad?

The key?

Hopefully he does become a good/great OT b/c we're going to need it. We cant stay healthy and we have a problem of keeping our RBs and QBs off their backs.

He has the size, the feet, and the grit to be a good LT and honestly last year I thought he deserved a roster spot over some--Essex anyone?!--but it wasn't to be so maybe this year is the year.

Legend

I would have kept him last year too, but I think the Steelers really like him because they got him back. Another sleeper they went out and got back is Cody Boyd at TE. The obviously wanted a second look with him too.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

I had thought about posting this article when it came out. It was a good read but I usually got bitched at for posting insider articles. Glad you shared it with everyone.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Thanks for the article. I'm hoping he makes the team.

And that's all I have to say about that.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

I'll believe it when I see it.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer

Great read, thanx for posting it!..... Personally, like Shawn said, I'll wait and see.... There's always alot of "up-beat" speculation at this time of year.... The time when it's important is thru camp and the regular season.... Hopefully it works out!

Awesome read. At 330.... what a mountain of a man. If his footwork doesn't suffer and he makes this team, why not give this guy a shot. How can opposing defenses even hope to move a man of that size. We need depth on the line and someone of his stature surely would merit consideration. I'm not holding my breath.... after all we do have Zeirline as OLC.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah tell me about it!