Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Timmons Dime LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Timmons Dime LB

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    There are no reports on Timmons that will satisfy me. I want to see him make a play
    with my own eyes in a real game.
    ....I'm with you on this Msm.... But remember, alot of folks said the same thing about Troy after his first season....

$$$$$$

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    While I'm glad Timmons is improving, it would really be a disappointment if he starts his second season as a dime package player.

I have a feeling that Timmons will wrestle the starting job from Foote. He surely is more athletic than Foote. Thanks for the post Nation1. The read is very exciting.
    bad word L. finally appears to have some weapons to work with, our linebackers should be very exciting this year. I have to admit my expectations are high.
    Our defensive coordinators name is a bad word???

Legend

User Info Menu

Does it really matter if he takes the starting job to start the year, mid year, or at the start of next year? If he starts playing like Levon Kirkland (yes, bad visual example) by the start of his fourth year, will it really matter that it took four years if he becomes a PB caliber cornerstone of this D?

I agree that at some point you have to be willing to let loose a high pick and accept that he is a bust ('Zo, Coke), but if a high pick matures into the player you expect, then be happy and embrace it, rather than complaining that he did not succeed according to our imaginary timeline.

I'd prefer that Timmons makes the PB this year and is named SB MVP, but if the trip takes longer, it isn't so important, as long as he gets there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Does it really matter if he takes the starting job to start the year, mid year, or at the start of next year? If he starts playing like Levon Kirkland (yes, bad visual example) by the start of his fourth year, will it really matter that it took four years if he becomes a PB caliber cornerstone of this D?

I agree that at some point you have to be willing to let loose a high pick and accept that he is a bust ('Zo, Coke), but if a high pick matures into the player you expect, then be happy and embrace it, rather than complaining that he did not succeed according to our imaginary timeline.

I'd prefer that Timmons makes the PB this year and is named SB MVP, but if the trip takes longer, it isn't so important, as long as he gets there.
    Sorry brother, but if it takes your number one draft choice until his fourth year to break into the starting lineup, then you missed out on maybe two or three years where that player didn't contribute to the level he was expected. There is a general rule of thumb which states that your number one pick should be starting by year two or three at the latest. When you pick in the top half of the first round, you expect that impact to come sooner rather than later. Yes a player can eventually vindicate themselves, but if it takes them that long to contribute, then they shouldn't have been taken in the top-15 and would thus be a reach pick. I didn't say bust and as long as Timmons is able to make plays and prgress as a player, then I would refrain from using that tag.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Sorry brother, but if it takes your number one draft choice until his fourth year to break into the starting lineup, then you missed out on maybe two or three years where that player didn't contribute to the level he was expected. There is a general rule of thumb that you expect number one picks to start by year two or three at the latest. When you pick in the top half of the first round, you expect that impact to come sooner rather than later. Yes a player can eventually vindicate themselves, but if it takes them that long to contribute, then they shouldn't have been taken with a top-15 pick and would thus be a reach pick. I didn't say bust and as long as Timmons is able to make plays and prgress as a player, then I would refrain from using that tag.
    I hear what you are saying Fla, but rules of thumb aside.......

If I told you that Timmons only starts nickel and dime this year, but becomes Farrior of '04 next year, how do you feel? You might not like it today, but midway through next year you won't care how long it took.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe Timmons was a reach regardless of when he becomes a starter. That doesn't mean that he won't be good or great; it just means he was reach at 1.15 in the draft. I'll take the reach that becomes a producer over the BPA that never sees the field.

Of course, Timmons could become that first round pick that never has an impact and then, obviously, he can then officially be labeled a bust. However, the news in the article posted by SN1 is very promising.

We'll see...

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I believe Timmons was a reach regardless of when he becomes a starter. That doesn't mean that he won't be good or great; it just means he was reach at 1.15 in the draft. I'll take the reach that becomes a producer over the BPA that never sees the field.

Of course, Timmons could become that first round pick that never has an impact and then, obviously, he can then officially be labeled a bust. However, the news in the article posted by SN1 is very promising.

We'll see...

Pappy

One hates to shoot their respective expectations low... but what else can you do when wrestling with disappointment. Everybody wants that immediate impact player, with players like Lambert and K. Bell, how could one as a fan not be excited about a first rounder in the LB position. The article is promising, and hopefully the talent will come to fruition and shore up our LB corps.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Sorry brother, but if it takes your number one draft choice until his fourth year to break into the starting lineup, then you missed out on maybe two or three years where that

player didn't contribute to the level he was expected. There is a general rule of thumb which states that your number one pick should be starting by year two or three at the latest. When you pick in the top half of the first round, you expect that impact to come sooner rather than later. Yes a player can eventually vindicate themselves, but if it takes them that long to contribute, then they shouldn't have been taken in the top-15 and would thus be a reach pick. I didn't say bust and as long as Timmons is able to make plays and prgress as a player, then I would refrain from using that tag.

First off Timmons is only 20 years old, so even if he loses 2 or 3 years to learn the system and earn a starting role, he will still have alot years left in him. If you already have a good LB corp, but it is aging, and you have the luxury to groom a great young athlete to fill a starting spot for the future, then you do it. BTW where'd you come up with your "general rule of thumb"? Did you read it somewhere? Or did you just make it up?

BIG FAN

Don't give up.
    He's a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Legend

User Info Menu

Farrior was a seasoned veteran when he came to the Steelers...and he said even his head was spinning trying to learn this defense.

It's hard to make an impact when:
    1) You're injured for most of training camp, essentially losing that year.
    2) Because you lost so much time you don't fully understand what is already a complex defense.