User Info Menu

Timmons Dime LB

Timmons picks up pace
    Lawrence Timmons (Gene J. Puskar/AP)
    Lawrence Timmons (Gene J. Puskar/AP)

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 29, 2008

Things are starting to fall into place for Lawrence Timmons. The Pittsburgh Steelers' first-round pick from a year ago is putting his knowledge to use on the practice field. Read Jim Wexell's story for details.

PITTSBURGH – To the surprise of the reporters milling around Lawrence Timmons after practice the other day, his move inside to the Mack linebacker position was made early last season.

Therefore, the position – behind Larry Foote – is not new to Timmons. But this is: “He’s finally gaining an understanding of what he needs to be doing,” said defensive captain James Farrior.

Farrior knows how important it is to gain an understanding of the Steelers’ defense. He spent his first season – in 2002 – as the Buck (strong-side inside) linebacker and admitted he didn’t know what he was doing. He sees the light turning on for Timmons now.

“He’s starting to realize what the other players on defense are doing,” Farrior said. “That’s the biggest key. When you’re playing our defense, you want to know what everybody else is doing. He’s starting to get a grasp of that.”

At Thursday’s practice, Timmons dropped into the flat to cover the running back, who was the checkdown receiver on the play. Quarterback Jared Zabransky looked deep, saw the primary receiver covered, and threw to the back. The pass never got there. Timmons intercepted it for a touchdown.

“I was just doing my job, that’s all,” Timmons said.

He couldn’t even do that last year at this time. Timmons, the first-round pick, stood on the sideline all spring with a groin injury. The Steelers wanted to do so much with him, too. They wanted him to learn some outside linebacker, some inside, some dime, some special teams. He learned little and saw only limited playing time throughout the season. But now he’s back at spring drills and he's healthy and he's feeling like a vet.

“Like a vet? Not quite,” he said. “Three more weeks and then I won’t be a rookie anymore.”

Go ahead and tell Timmons that he didn’t really miss much last spring. He’s still counting the days to make up for it.

“He is making up for it,” Farrior said. “He’s playing well.”

Timmons, though, remains the second-team Mack backer behind Foote. But Timmons is the first-team dime backer, and that’s his main focus right now. The Steelers are now using two inside backers – Timmons and Farrior – in their dime.

“It looks like the old nickel, but there’s a difference,” Timmons said.

Timmons was asked if he’ll soon have to learn the Buck position.

“The Mack and the Buck pretty much run off each other, so it wouldn’t be difficult,” he said. “But I’ve got to learn the dime a whole lot more before they do anything else with me.”

Thursday's interception proved he’s doing just that.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Timmons Dime LB

Sounds like a good offseason for Lawrence T. so far. First it was resported that he was able to keep up with Santonio Holmes on a deep route, and now he is picking off passes intended for running backs and running them back for TD's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This statement could lend quite a bit of insight as to the perceived "lack" of presence by him (Timmons) last season....

Farrior knows how important it is to gain an understanding of the Steelers’ defense. He spent his first season – in 2002 – as the Buck (strong-side inside) linebacker and admitted he didn’t know what he was doing. He sees the light turning on for Timmons now.
    Hey SN..... Great read!...... How does one get the "Insider"....

Starter

User Info Menu

While I'm glad Timmons is improving, it would really be a disappointment if he starts his second season as a dime package player.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's a bust...what were they thinking???

:P

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    While I'm glad Timmons is improving, it would really be a disappointment if he starts his second season as a dime package player.

I have a feeling that Timmons will wrestle the starting job from Foote. He surely is more athletic than Foote. Thanks for the post Nation1. The read is very exciting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting how the switch inside took place early last year. If he's got talent worthy of his first round selection, then he should have the Mack job sewn up by the opening week with that much time at the position. I'm not going to be too critical if he's at least the starting dime 'backer and making plays for us, but at some point this year he has to claim the full-time job, or I think it's safe to say we reached on him. Foote is a pretty decent linebacker, so it won't be easy and ought to make for one of the most intense battles to keep our eyes on.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s

I have a feeling that Timmons will wrestle the starting job from Foote. He surely is more athletic than Foote. Thanks for the post Nation1. The read is very exciting.
    Dick L. finally appears to have some weapons to work with, our linebackers should be very exciting this year. I have to admit my expectations are high.

Another AS masterpiece.

Backup

User Info Menu

There are no reports on Timmons that will satisfy me. I want to see him make a play
    with my own eyes in a real game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    There are no reports on Timmons that will satisfy me. I want to see him make a play
    with my own eyes in a real game.
    ....I'm with you on this Msm.... But remember, alot of folks said the same thing about Troy after his first season....