Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall making a positive impression in Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall making a positive impression in Pittsburgh

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2008/wwhi052908.htm"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... 052908.htm[/url]

May 29, 2008

The way we hear it, Steelers rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall looks as though he will be a solid fit in Bruce Arians' offense. Mendenhall has caught the ball well in his brief Steelers career, and he's also shown the speed that helped make him such a well-regarded prospect. Mendenhall and probable third-down back Mewelde Moore are likely to be the first backs off the bench for Pittsburgh, which will have a more versatile backfield than it did a season ago. Mendenhall, who is healthy again after suffering a hamstring injury early in May, will primarily play the role of keeping starter Willie Parker fresh. At the NFL Players Rookie Premiere, Mendenhall told PFW he can learn a lot from the productive Parker simply by "seeing how he works every day, just his attitude about everything. I learned that when I got there, and I just feel like I’m picking up a lot just being under him."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Mendenhall making a positive impression in Pittsburgh

I think a lot of how FWP handles himself came from Bettis. And now he can pass this on to Mendenhall. Good stuff!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And FWP has even said so. What a great person. Can you imagine how hated he would be if he pulled a Favre and said the stuff he did about Aaron Rodgers or whatever. I can't believe he was so untouchable in Green Bay. That $hit would not fly with Pittsburgh fans in my opinion.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our RB stable could be the best in the league! I can't wait to see this kid run during the preseason.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2008/wwhi052908.htm"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NF ... 052908.htm[/url]

May 29, 2008

The way we hear it, Steelers rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall looks as though he will be a solid fit in Bruce Arians' offense. Mendenhall has caught the ball well in his brief Steelers career, and he's also shown the speed that helped make him such a well-regarded prospect. Mendenhall and probable third-down back Mewelde Moore are likely to be the first backs off the bench for Pittsburgh, which will have a more versatile backfield than it did a season ago. Mendenhall, who is healthy again after suffering a hamstring injury early in May, will primarily play the role of keeping starter Willie Parker fresh. At the NFL Players Rookie Premiere, Mendenhall told PFW he can learn a lot from the productive Parker simply by "seeing how he works every day, just his attitude about everything. I learned that when I got there, and I just feel like I’m picking up a lot just being under him."
    I would not jump to quick at the notion that Mendenhall and Moore will be the first RBs off the bench. I could just as easily see Moore taking the Rossum role as a dedicated returner who can get some carries at RB. The "beast" option is Mendenhall and Russell off the bench and even in the backfield at the same time.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

May 29, 2008

I would not jump to quick at the notion that Mendenhall and Moore will be the first RBs off the bench. I could just as easily see Moore taking the Rossum role as a dedicated returner who can get some carries at RB. The "beast" option is Mendenhall and Russell off the bench and even in the backfield at the same time.

I'm with you on this one, O. Call me nostalgic, but this season more than any other as of late, will remind me of the days when we inflicted punishment on teams from both sides of the ball. Our LBs are poised to have a really good season..... and the most asian anticipated aspect of this upcoming season is our backfield. Your termed "beast" option is just that. We really have an opportunity to demolish teams on the ground. I know Arians will want to get very pass happy with Ben and his happy bunch of WRs, but if we have the lead, I say ground and pound them with a relentless running game. We definitely will have the depth and hopefully our OC will see the value in implementing a "concensus backfield" when dealing out the ground game punishment. Give them a healthy dose of Mendenhall and Russell and then a home run with Willie.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

May 29, 2008

I'm with you on this one, O. Call me nostalgic, but this season more than any other as of late, will remind me of the days when we inflicted punishment on teams from both sides of the ball. Our LBs are poised to have a really good season..... and the most asian anticipated aspect of this upcoming season is our backfield. Your termed "beast" option is just that. We really have an opportunity to demolish teams on the ground. I know Arians will want to get very pass happy with Ben and his happy bunch of WRs, but if we have the lead, I say ground and pound them with a relentless running game. We definitely will have the depth and hopefully our OC will see the value in implementing a "concensus backfield" when dealing out the ground game punishment. Give them a healthy dose of Mendenhall and Russell and then a home run with Willie.
    Back to smash mouth football I just hope the steelers don't get stuck in the run,run,pass,punt. mode like in years past.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

May 29, 2008

Back to smash mouth football I just hope the steelers don't get stuck in the run,run,pass,punt. mode like in years past.
    You don't pay your QB what the Steelers are paying Ben just to pass on 3rd down. I expect to see many more first down passes. This offense can really explode this year with the right play calling by Arians and Ben. The real challenge is keeping all your weapons happy with enough touches.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You don't pay your QB what the Steelers are paying Ben just to pass on 3rd down. I expect to see many more first down passes. This offense can really explode this year with the right play calling by Arians and Ben. The real challenge is keeping all your weapons happy with enough touches.

I think its pretty easy to find contentment when your team is winning. We win with consistency then I think all will be happy, regardless of the number of touches.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing I fear is that Russell will get lost in the mix. I just hope for one thing in regards to Russell...that he gets his fair share of carries. If not...I fear he will be a star for a division rival...and we will ALL regret not giving him his due.
    Trolls are people too.