Thread: Timmons Dime LB

Hall of Famer

Re: Timmons Dime LB

[quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":331fisjm
    IMO Farrior will not get a big multi-year contact from the Steelers. He may be playing at a high level, but one injury can change that dramatically and the organization would be foolish to lock themselves in for several year. I could see him getting a good bonus with a cap friendly one year salary. This is what Bettis did and I think it is the smart way to do business.
    I agree. That is exactly how I think the Steelers will look at it. The guy is an important part of the Steelers success. He could help the young guys out in ways you can't coach. He is still playing at a high level. But...There is a risk to signing him to a multi-year deal...That is all I'm saying. God forbid, Farrior gets a serious knee injury his 1st year of his new contract. He misses that season and never will be fully recovered until he is 36. It isn't right how things get handled at this point in players careers because the business aspect becomes more evident. If it was money coming out of my pocket, It would be a one year deal or a 2 year deal with the "Hometown Discount" with incentives...Just like you said O! If Farrior does "Set The Example" and take the discount like AA & FLASTEEL said...He will gain new respect from me. I'm sure allot of Steeler fans feel the same way!

I said quite awhile ago on the old board that with everything you hear about Farrior you just get the sense that being a coach may be in his future. The Steelers were smart enough to groom Dungy, maybe Farrior?
    I haven't ever considered that in my thought process. Good point. With his experience and production in the NFL...Coaching might be next!
    Coaching hours are insane, though. Guys with as much money in the bank as Farrior would probably prefer to spend quality time with their family after their playing days are over instead of arriving at the facility before the sun rises every day, and staying until well after the sun sets.[/quote:331fisjm]

Very True. Those guys put in allot of hours. Some guys have that "Itch" and have to be around the game even after their playing days are over. However, some players don't have anything to offer in the coaching ranks. I think Farrior might have a future there if that is the road he chooses!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY][quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3hklue74
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3hklue74
    I said quite awhile ago on the old board that with everything you hear about Farrior you just get the sense that being a coach may be in his future. The Steelers were smart enough to groom Dungy, maybe Farrior?
    I haven't ever considered that in my thought process. Good point. With his experience and production in the NFL...Coaching might be next!
    Coaching hours are insane, though. Guys with as much money in the bank as Farrior would probably prefer to spend quality time with their family after their playing days are over instead of arriving at the facility before the sun rises every day, and staying until well after the sun sets.
    Very True. Those guys put in allot of hours. Some guys have that "Itch" and have to be around the game even after their playing days are over. However, some players don't have anything to offer in the coaching ranks. I think Farrior might have a future there if that is the road he chooses![/quote:3hklue74][/quote:3hklue74]

There aren't many Pro Bowl caliber players that decided to become coaches (Mike Singletary is one...Kenny Anderson is another). Of the coaches who have been NFL players, most had only marginal careers at best (like Cowher or Jeff Fisher).

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    There aren't many Pro Bowl caliber players that decided to become coaches (Mike Singletary is one...Kenny Anderson is another). Of the coaches who have been NFL players, most had only marginal careers at best (like Cowher or Jeff Fisher).
    I wonder why that is...Interesting? You can say some went into broadcasting or some other form of entertainment. Some just continue on with their lives totally isolated from the game. Maybe the great ones need to become detached from the game all together because it really bothers them not to be out there playing anymore. I have always found that the technicians or less athleticly gifted players make better coaches. They study and learn the "Ins & Outs" of the game because they need to get by on preparation, technique, and motivation. A guy who needs to work harder to achieve their goals is more knowledgeable than a guy who is blessed with pure ability.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I wonder why that is...Interesting? You can say some went into broadcasting or some other form of entertainment. Some just continue on with their lives totally isolated from the game. Maybe the great ones need to become detached from the game all together because it really bothers them not to be out there playing anymore. I have always found that the technicians or less athleticly gifted players make better coaches. They study and learn the "Ins & Outs" of the game because they need to get by on preparation, technique, and motivation. A guy who needs to work harder to achieve their goals is more knowledgeable than a guy who is blessed with pure ability.
    Dude you nailed it. Look at the NBA. Magic tried coaching and sucked. Bird had mild success but couldn't get into it. I don't know what you call Isaiah Thomas' effort, not really coaching. But then you get these guys like Rudy Tomjonovich or Phil Jackson and I guess Doc Rivers (even though he is still confused alot of the time) that have some pretty good success. I'm sure NBA theory could be proved wrong, but from my decent NBA knowledge it sound right, and coincides with your NFL theories.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

[quote=Iron Shiek]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1cvjfqov
    Dude you nailed it. Look at the NBA. Magic tried coaching and sucked. Bird had mild success but couldn't get into it. I don't know what you call Isaiah Thomas' effort, not really coaching. But then you get these guys like Rudy Tomjonovich or Phil Jackson and I guess Doc Rivers (even though he is still confused alot of the time) that have some pretty good success. I'm sure NBA theory could be proved wrong, but from my decent NBA knowledge it sound right, and coincides with your NFL theories.[/quote:1cvjfqov]

You are right about the NBA. So many talented "Old School" players out there...You would think have a shot at coaching. It is puzzling why it seems the "Great Ones" generally don't have that much success coaching. It is pretty hard to nail down a large group in the NFL, NBA, or NHL. I wonder if it is the success rate or they just are not interested? Baseball seems like it is more of a possibilty to break in to coaching. My theory for football seems like it could used across the board?