Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Timmons Dime LB

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Timmons Dime LB

good article...i'm telling you guys, timmons will be a difference maker...i'm glad we have two young LB's to hold down this D for many years to come...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    good article...i'm telling you guys, timmons will be a difference maker...i'm glad we have two young LB's to hold down this D for many years to come...

If in the next 2 years the starting LBs looked like:

Woodley, Timmons, Harrison, and Davis.... that would be awesome. I have a signature nickname for our new young LBs and I'm waiting to see how their numbers look midway through the season. I wanted something that rivaled Blitzburgh and the Steel Curtain. I'll unveil it this season and I hope it catches on.... and if I make to a home game this year in Pittsburgh.... I'm going to create a huge banner and subsequently leave with a hometown brother from the board, who goes has season tickets.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Woodley, Timmons, Harrison, and Davis.... that would be awesome. I have a signature nickname for our new young LBs and I'm waiting to see how their numbers look midway through the season. I wanted something that rivaled Blitzburgh and the Steel Curtain. I'll unveil it this season and I hope it catches on.... and if I make to a home game this year in Pittsburgh.... I'm going to create a huge banner and subsequently leave with a hometown brother from the board, who goes has season tickets.
    That would be an awesome foursome. I really hope Davis can come on fast because I want to get back to the rush we had with Greene and Lloyd. Our goal should be 50 sacks every year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

That would be an awesome foursome. I really hope Davis can come on fast because I want to get back to the rush we had with Greene and Lloyd. Our goal should be 50 sacks every year.
    Unless Davis comes in this year and flashes the kind of potential that Woodley did, I don't see him competing for a starting job in the next two years. I've already made my point several times about why I believe Farrior won't be going anywhere anytime soon and while Harrison does seem limited in his pass rush capability, he was a beast in his first year starting at OLB.

I really hope that Timmons is able to validate his selection by taking the starting Mack spot and our linebackers would be Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, and Harrison for the next two or three seasons (however long Farrior and Harrison can remain a force). We could have Foote as the primary guy to rotate on the inside, providing us with starting-quality depth and hopefully Humpal can develop there as well. If Davis can show the penchant for rushing the quarterback like he did at UCLA, we would have a trio of guys we could rotate at OLB to keep everyone fresh with no loss of production. That's a deep and potentially very talented linebacking corps and it is highly likely to unfold that way if Davis pans out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Unless Davis comes in this year and flashes the kind of potential that Woodley did, I don't see him competing for a starting job in the next two years. I've already made my point several times about why I believe Farrior won't be going anywhere anytime soon and while Harrison does seem limited in his pass rush capability, he was a beast in his first year starting at OLB.

I really hope that Timmons is able to validate his selection by taking the starting Mack spot and our linebackers would be Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, and Harrison for the next two or three seasons (however long Farrior and Harrison can remain a force). We could have Foote as the primary guy to rotate on the inside, providing us with starting-quality depth and hopefully Humpal can develop there as well. If Davis can show the penchant for rushing the quarterback like he did at UCLA, we would have a trio of guys we could rotate at OLB to keep everyone fresh with no loss of production. That's a deep and potentially very talented linebacking corps and it is highly likely to unfold that way if Davis pans out.
    I hear you, but I don't think Harrision is the OLB we need to take this too the next level. Yes he made the Pro Bowl last year, but when you look at his sacks and take away the one out of the world game he had he was not impact in the other 15 games. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player but his only move is the bullrush and he became less effective as the season went on. In the last eight games of the season he had 2 sacks. I think we need more consistency from the ROLB positon because that is where you attack most QBs blind sides. I think we need more from there sooner rather than later.

I'm also not sure Farrior is staying unless he is will to take a Bettis-like discount. I also think he has a lot in the tank, but the team will not likely invest big dolars in a player his age unless he has a monster season this year. Harrison moving inside does give the FO some leverage.

I'm hoping Humpal can become a ST ace this season. We need playmakers on ST.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hear you, but I don't think Harrision is the OLB we need to take this too the next level. Yes he made the Pro Bowl last year, but when you look at his sacks and take away the one out of the world game he had he was not impact in the other 15 games. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player but his only move is the bullrush and he became less effective as the season went on. In the last eight games of the season he had 2 sacks. I think we need more consistency from the ROLB positon because that is where you attack most QBs blind sides. I think we need more from there sooner rather than later.

I'm also not sure Farrior is staying unless he is will to take a Bettis-like discount. I also think he has a lot in the tank, but the team will not likely invest big dolars in a player his age unless he has a monster season this year. Harrison moving inside does give the FO some leverage.

I'm hoping Humpal can become a ST ace this season. We need playmakers on ST.
    I completely agree with all of what you said brother but just so you know, Farrior has already been on record to say that he would take less to stay here. By having Davis in the rotation you are going to keep Harrison fresh and hopefully not experience that drop in productivity you mentioned. I can totally evision Davis coming in as part of our nickel defense or other third-down packages to let him pin his ears back and go after the passer. After a couple or three seasons hopefully he'd be able to take over the starting role. At least that's the way I'd like to see it unfold.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Flasteel][quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY][quote=Flasteel][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":5p4s5zaj][quote=papillon][size=7][b]I believe Timmons was a reach regardless of when he becomes a starter. That doesn't mean that he won't be good or great; it just means he was reach at 1.15 in the draft.[/b][/size] I'll take the reach that becomes a producer over the BPA that never sees the field.

Of course, Timmons could become that first round pick that never has an impact and then, obviously, he can then officially be labeled a bust. However, the news in the article posted by SN1 is very promising.

We'll see...

Pappy[/quote]

I agree...That is the best way of looking at it! If Timmons was picked in the late 20's I don't think anyone would have a problem with his progression. They guy has talent, it is the mental part of the game keeping him off the field. That isn't a knock on him, it is his position. When he is ready, he will play. He plays a position that has allot of responsibility built into the scheme. They need to make sure he understands his assignments before he hits the field. The "Scheme" of the defense depends on it! "Football IQ" starts at the ball and works out! The scheme/assignments are built around the guys in the trenches and the "Conductor" is the QB/ILB. A 3 year window for a "Front 7" player on either side of the ball is understandable. Some players are inserted before they are ready because their talent exceeds any other players production on the roster. Timmons is in a great situation because he could learn before he hits the field. The fact that he was able to watch & learn last year and not be forced into the line-up will pay off in his production & his confidence. Many high draft choices fail because they were inserted into the line-up to soon and lost confidence in themselves and lost interest in the game because of failure. The Steelers have been pretty good at bringing players along and getting them into the line-up when they are ready. We all bash the player and call him a bust but he turns into a productive player. Timmons as the starting Dime LB is not a disappointment. He might earn a starting spot over Foote by mid season or come in because of injury. [b]This is Farrior's last year as a Steeler [/b]and a spot will be there in 2009. I'm not worried yet because I feel WHEN he does get the start inside...He won't ever look back! That I could wait for![/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you said Nasty, but to assume that this is Farrior's last year in a Steeler uniform or even as a starter is flat-out wrong in my opinion. He had his second best season ever last year and shows no signs of letting up. Farrior is one of the most underrated players we've had on defense in a long time and I think he has at least two and maybe even three or four years left on this team.[/quote]

I would love to see him stay but I believe this is the last year of his contract. You answered why I don't think he will be around. He still is playing at a high level and the Steelers are not going to pay a multi-year deal for a 34 year old LB. He is in decline but he still is the best on the team. Farrior would have to take a huge "Hometown" discount to stay here. Farrior will be making $4.5 mil this year and Foote will be in his last year next year at $3.9 mil next year. If you think Farrior will stick around for less than $3.9 mil...You have more faith than me brother! With Timmons in the wings, I would say Farrior needs to take a big pay cut to stay here...Probably like $2 mil! I don't think he will take that.[/quote]

Farrior is already on record saying that he would take a home-town discount.

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557469.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 57469.html[/url]

This is a guy who wants to be here and will do what it takes contractually to make sure that it happens...he's not going anywhere.[/quote:5p4s5zaj]

I would love to see Farrior stay and retire a Steeler. I just don't think it will happen. There has been man Steelers who wanted to stay and said they would play for less. Less in their mind isn't the same as the number the Steelers are thinking. Farrior will not take back-up money to stay. He is in decline but still playing at a high level. 3 of the 4 starting LB will have contract issues in 2009. One, Farrior, won't have a contract. Harrison & Foote both will be in their last year. If you really think the oldest will get a multi-year extension with the Steelers taking 3 LBs in the first three rounds the last 2 years...I guess you just don't see the writing on the wall. I read the article you attached but to me, that was just an explaination of how the Steelers & Farrior's agent structured the contract so he could remain here the full length of the contract being that his last 2 years he would be into his 30's. I don't see Farrior remaining here past this year unless he is willing to take the 1 year deals similar to the contracts Bettis took to stay. Farrior is close to being pushed for his position by young talent and his game declining to the level of other palyers on the roster. Nobody likes to acknowledge it, talk about it, or look at life after a fan favorite...It is just the reality of the game. More importantly, relating to this debate...It is just the Steelers way!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Farrior is already on record saying that he would take a home-town discount.

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557469.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 57469.html[/url]

This is a guy who wants to be here and will do what it takes contractually to make sure that it happens...he's not going anywhere.
    I would love to see Farrior stay and retire a Steeler. I just don't think it will happen. There has been man Steelers who wanted to stay and said they would play for less. Less in their mind isn't the same as the number the Steelers are thinking. Farrior will not take back-up money to stay. He is in decline but still playing at a high level. 3 of the 4 starting LB will have contract issues in 2009. One, Farrior, won't have a contract. Harrison & Foote both will be in their last year. If you really think the oldest will get a multi-year extension with the Steelers taking 3 LBs in the first three rounds the last 2 years...I guess you just don't see the writing on the wall. I read the article you attached but to me, that was just an explaination of how the Steelers & Farrior's agent structured the contract so he could remain here the full length of the contract being that his last 2 years he would be into his 30's. I don't see Farrior remaining here past this year unless he is willing to take the 1 year deals similar to the contracts Bettis took to stay. Farrior is close to being pushed for his position by young talent and his game declining to the level of other palyers on the roster. Nobody likes to acknowledge it, talk about it, or look at life after a fan favorite...It is just the reality of the game. More importantly, relating to this debate...It is just the Steelers way!
    The article did discuss the cap-friendly nature of Farrior's current contract, but in no way was that the focal point. The main gist was concerning how letting aging players go isn't necessarily the "Steeler way" and each player must be judged on a case-by-case basis.

In Farrior's case he is not in decline despite your assertion. You might expect him to be at his age, but when you turn in by all accounts, your second-best season ever (following no decline in play prior), you simply can't say that. The article was written in March and obviously the discussion and comments by his agent were reflecting on his next contract, not his current one. His agent (or the writer) flat-out stated that he will take less money to stay here and even detailed the reasons why.

With the way Farrior trains and the phenomenal shape he's in, it's not unreasonable at all to expect three more years of play at a very high level. It would make sense to extend him now for four years with the last year chocked full of incentives tied to playing time, but even if we don't it doesn't mean that he'd be relegated to a series of one-year contracts.

This has nothing to do with not wanting to let go of a "fan favorite" and everything to do with keeping our best linebacker around as long as he's able to contribute. Three years is also a pretty good time-table for a third round pick like Davis to learn the position and defense well enough to provide a smooth transition when the time comes. Right now there is no young talent pushing Farrior and we're going to have to wait and see if Davis can even push Harrison in '09. It makes sense from every aspect you look at to keep Farrior on board with another contract. He's worth more to us than to any other team and he's willing to take less than what any other team may offer to stay here.

Nothing is obviously written in stone, but as far as what's on the wall...I'm reading something entirely different than you brother.

SteelForce

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    While I'm glad Timmons is improving, it would really be a disappointment if he starts his second season as a dime package player.

I have a feeling that Timmons will wrestle the starting job from Foote. He surely is more athletic than Foote. Thanks for the post Nation1. The read is very exciting.
    If he does anything less than wrest the starting job from "Not-So-Fleet-of-Foote", I'll call him a step closer to being a bust. Foote was terrible last year. Plowed through at the point of attack constantly, and getting toasted in coverage to boot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelForce
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    While I'm glad Timmons is improving, it would really be a disappointment if he starts his second season as a dime package player.

I have a feeling that Timmons will wrestle the starting job from Foote. He surely is more athletic than Foote. Thanks for the post Nation1. The read is very exciting.
    If he does anything less than wrest the starting job from "Not-So-Fleet-of-Foote", I'll call him a step closer to being a bust. Foote was terrible last year. Plowed through at the point of attack constantly, and getting toasted in coverage to boot.

Whether it is at the start or middle of the season, if Timmons doesn't crack into the starting rotation, then in my book he will be a bust. #15 overall and isn't a starter his second year? Look at Demeco Ryans of the Texans... second round draft pick '06, immediately started his rookie year and in two years in the NFL has 225 tackles, 6 sacks and 1 probowl appearance. Now that's maximizing your draft pick. Since we are practically devoid of FA acquisitions, the draft is our only outlet for developing our team. Anyone who asserts that we need to give Timmons time.... the time is now and at 1.15 you better start seeing the field with regularity.