Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweed gets special assignment

LasVegasGuy

Re: Sweed gets special assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_569847.html

Sweed seems to be embracing possibly playing on Special Teams. I wasn't high on him going into the draft, but the more I hear the more I like this guy. He seems to have a very blue collar, I'll do anything attitude.

The idea of using Sweed's speed and long arms off the edge to block kicks will be interesting to see.

Maybe this year we see some top talent on Special teams versus marginal back ups.
    That's good and all, but honestly how many blocked kicks really happen. I'd hope in addition to this, they look heavily at adjusting the "coverage" personnel so that we don't give up 99 yd kickoff returns after scoring a big TD.

Blocked kicks usually come from up the middle, only sometimes is a guy fast enough to beat the snap, get around the corner and block the kick. Unless Sweed packs on some serious weight using him on special teams to block kicks is a complete waste of time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why are fans reluctant to have our high picks play special teams? Sure there are risks involved, but Sweed and Mendenhall will only be signed to 4 year contracts. They'll both take a year or maybe two before they are ready to start. I think we need a return on these investments now. If Sweed can block kicks, get him in there. If Mendenhall is effective returning kickoffs, team him up with Moore. It just blows my mind that many want to complain about special teams while simultaneously contending that using key players in the return/kicking game is too risky. We aren't talking about using Ben as a gunner here. Get the kids in there.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe in putting starters in on special teams if your STs can't get it done without them.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    just the possiblity of having a guy like that forces teams to change the way they kick instead of being dictated to by the other team.
    Especially one that has a history of injury to the wrist!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    Especially one that has a history of injury to the wrist!

.................................................. ................D'oh!............................. .....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Why are fans reluctant to have our high picks play special teams? Sure there are risks involved, but Sweed and Mendenhall will only be signed to 4 year contracts. They'll both take a year or maybe two before they are ready to start. I think we need a return on these investments now. If Sweed can block kicks, get him in there. If Mendenhall is effective returning kickoffs, team him up with Moore. It just blows my mind that many want to complain about special teams while simultaneously contending that using key players in the return/kicking game is too risky. We aren't talking about using Ben as a gunner here. Get the kids in there.
    I like the idea of high picks playing special teams but it just sounds like a bad idea to have a wide receiver blocking kicks.

Another AS masterpiece.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Didn't Hines play on ST in the beginning of his career?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by us_steelinfrance
    Didn't Hines play on ST in the beginning of his career?

I was thinking the same thing. So I checked. He logged 17 tackles his rookie, that indicates to me he did cover some kicks most likely. But if you are comparing Hines playing ST to Sweed, I think its apples to oranges. Hines was the slash type just trying to hang around on the team in some capacity. Sweed was "supposed" to be a Round 1 pick. While I don't mind him trying to block a punt in a key situation, I'd hope his body isn't risked too much on ST. Save him for bombs down the middle.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Rookie

User Info Menu

Fair enough, Sheik (and good job actually taking the initiative to look up stats). I just think it's a good sign Sweed will do what is asked of him and not be a prima donna. If he can begin having an impact on ST before emerging as a great WR, why not? If he's kicking butt and impacting as a WR early on, even better.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sorry about spelling your name wrong, Shiek.