Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Sacks don't scare Steelers

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,419

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Good read, man... Thanx!

    We keep hearing how he is more understanding of the system, and better aware... It was the same story last season to an extent (being better aware, taking more control...). While I do agree with it, and understand that it also plays a part in how much dirt he accumulates on his uniform, there are alot of other issues that contribute to him being sacked that this article doesn't go into by design. .... Just sayin'

    I know what your hinting to there, NKy. The Arians factor is on everybody's mind. This will be the single most measurable factor that will impact our offense's success this upcoming season. Let's hope our OC learned to play chess this year. He has the pieces to attain success, how well he moves these pieces is the real story.
    Arians doesn't read the defense and make the decisions. That is all on Ben. Ben has enough experience that he should be able to audible out of any play to get a favorable match up and deliver the ball. Only he can deliver the ball not the OC.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians doesn't read the defense and make the decisions. That is all on Ben. Ben has enough experience that he should be able to audible out of any play to get a favorable match up and deliver the ball. Only he can deliver the ball not the OC.
    No, he doesn't read the defense.... And yes, he should be able to audible out of a poor play.... But he can only work with the personnel on the field, and Arians' lack of adjustments can kill offensive momentum.

    Sheesh AS.... I was actually talking about the O-line and the amount of time Ben is given to work a play.... Man, it's too early in the new season for me to be branded an "Arians basher" (which, I guess I am at this point).....

  3. #13

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians doesn't read the defense and make the decisions. That is all on Ben. Ben has enough experience that he should be able to audible out of any play to get a favorable match up and deliver the ball. Only he can deliver the ball not the OC.
    No, he doesn't read the defense.... And yes, he should be able to audible out of a poor play.... But he can only work with the personnel on the field, and Arians' lack of adjustments can kill offensive momentum.

    Sheesh AS.... I was actually talking about the O-line and the amount of time Ben is given to work a play.... Man, it's too early in the new season for me to be branded an "Arians basher" (which, I guess I am at this point).....
    Hey,there's always room on the S.S. Arianssucks.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!
    Posts
    1,624

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Good read, man... Thanx!

    We keep hearing how he is more understanding of the system, and better aware... It was the same story last season to an extent (being better aware, taking more control...). While I do agree with it, and understand that it also plays a part in how much dirt he accumulates on his uniform, there are alot of other issues that contribute to him being sacked that this article doesn't go into by design. .... Just sayin'

    I know what your hinting to there, NKy. The Arians factor is on everybody's mind. This will be the single most measurable factor that will impact our offense's success this upcoming season. Let's hope our OC learned to play chess this year. He has the pieces to attain success, how well he moves these pieces is the real story.
    In Arians defense, last season was his first as OC. But he comes into his second campaign with virtually no turnover in personnel (outside of Faneca) and a new RB and WR from the draft who both have a chance to be premier players in short order.

    There's something to be said about continuity and unit cohesion. In times past the Steelers allowed players like Lloyd, Gildon, Kirkland and Porter to walk when the time was ripe. There were no regrets from the Steelers end on any of those departures (Porter is only a "possibly" at this point). Faneca is trending toward the same profile upon playing in his "greener pastures".

    Meanwhile, Mr. Arians is still learning how to use all the tools in his tool box, but he has another year under his belt to learn how to avoid what didn't work the year before.

    I'm willing to give Arians the benefit of the doubt. But Ben and his OL must coalesce and drive the number of his sacks down to at least half of what it was last season. That will go a long way toward improving an already efficient offense. Bringing Mendy and Sweed in and letting their individual talents add diversity to the offensive portfolio will only add to that improvement.

    There's a lot to look forward to if the Steelers can get a good measure of health (never a sure thing) and equal measure of heads up play from a well-designed offensive game plan. There's no reason that the Steelers couldn't be an offensive juggernaut if they've done their homework and put in the effort.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,172

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians doesn't read the defense and make the decisions. That is all on Ben. Ben has enough experience that he should be able to audible out of any play to get a favorable match up and deliver the ball. Only he can deliver the ball not the OC.
    No, he doesn't read the defense.... And yes, he should be able to audible out of a poor play.... But he can only work with the personnel on the field, and Arians' lack of adjustments can kill offensive momentum.

    Sheesh AS.... I was actually talking about the O-line and the amount of time Ben is given to work a play.... Man, it's too early in the new season for me to be branded an "Arians basher" (which, I guess I am at this point).....
    I am curious but how do you know that Arians does not make ajustments? I do not understand why people are giving Arians such a bad rap. I think he did a good job last season.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I am curious but how do you know that Arians does not make ajustments? I do not understand why people are giving Arians such a bad rap. I think he did a good job last season.
    Well, since Tomlin won't take my calls, I can't definitively say that, I guess....

    ... But as we went down the stretch last season, starting with the Jets game, it was almost like a broken record when hearing his comments either on-air or in print; "We shouldn't have done that..."; "We should have done ____ instead..."; "We won't make this mistake again..." .... Now yes, alot of us think we know what would work and really don't have a clue. I'm apparently very good at that. But after hearing those lines for the last several weeks of the regular season, then watching the 2nd half against Jax in the playoffs, I do believe it.

    I'm sorry 86... I've been accused of being a "homer", and maybe I am. I do not bash this team or players at all, other than minor issues that are good for banter on the discussion board... But I do not think Arians can produce a winning gameplan that could go any further than the Wild Card round or make late-game changes, just as he did in Cleveland.... It's just my personal opinion, and pet peeve until it's proven otherwise...

    Now I do promise you this, my black-n-gold brother.... If I am proven to be wrong this season I will gladly admit it to you and the whole board in grand fashion.... I would actually welcome that possibility....

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer AngryAsian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,014

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Good read, man... Thanx!

    We keep hearing how he is more understanding of the system, and better aware... It was the same story last season to an extent (being better aware, taking more control...). While I do agree with it, and understand that it also plays a part in how much dirt he accumulates on his uniform, there are alot of other issues that contribute to him being sacked that this article doesn't go into by design. .... Just sayin'

    I know what your hinting to there, NKy. The Arians factor is on everybody's mind. This will be the single most measurable factor that will impact our offense's success this upcoming season. Let's hope our OC learned to play chess this year. He has the pieces to attain success, how well he moves these pieces is the real story.
    In Arians defense, last season was his first as OC. But he comes into his second campaign with virtually no turnover in personnel (outside of Faneca) and a new RB and WR from the draft who both have a chance to be premier players in short order.

    There's something to be said about continuity and unit cohesion. In times past the Steelers allowed players like Lloyd, Gildon, Kirkland and Porter to walk when the time was ripe. There were no regrets from the Steelers end on any of those departures (Porter is only a "possibly" at this point). Faneca is trending toward the same profile upon playing in his "greener pastures".

    Meanwhile, Mr. Arians is still learning how to use all the tools in his tool box, but he has another year under his belt to learn how to avoid what didn't work the year before.

    I'm willing to give Arians the benefit of the doubt. But Ben and his OL must coalesce and drive the number of his sacks down to at least half of what it was last season. That will go a long way toward improving an already efficient offense. Bringing Mendy and Sweed in and letting their individual talents add diversity to the offensive portfolio will only add to that improvement.

    There's a lot to look forward to if the Steelers can get a good measure of health (never a sure thing) and equal measure of heads up play from a well-designed offensive game plan. There's no reason that the Steelers couldn't be an offensive juggernaut if they've done their homework and put in the effort.

    I'm with you on the grace period, BH. Everybody was in their rookie season last year and didn't do to bad. Don't get me wrong, this was not an Arians bashing session on my behalf, I was just pointing out the obvious, that Arians will be the main factor in our offensive success this year. I think collectively we can say that he was extremely inconsistent with the calls last year and his in-game adjustments seemed horrid.... but throughout all that and a horrible OL, Ben put up stellar numbers and Willie got a Pro-Bowl berth. Not to shabby.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    For those of you that are familiar with the Penn & Teller show on Showtime..... BULLSHIT!!! .... When someone doesn't change thier MO when they have said in the past that they will, it doesn't fly.... I'm sorry.

  9. #19
    BigBen2112
    Guest

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Arians if a fuking moron!

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Arians if a fuking moron!
    Welcome back........ Since I agree.........

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •