Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sacks don't scare Steelers

Re: Sacks don't scare Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    One thing that even Ben clearly admits in the article is that many of the sacks are on him not the OL. No OL in the league can hold off a pass rush as long as the Steelers OL is asked to do because of Ben's ability to move and extend plays. I hope Ben does get smart and take the easy checkdowns versus trying to be the hero and force a big play.
    Ben isn't going to blame his offensive line. He takes all the blame. Besides, he had 23 sacks his rookie season. If it were all his fault, it would have showed up then. He prevented just as many sacks last year with his ability to break tackles and move, then any amount of sacks that were purely on him.

You know, I think I might stop arguing about this. There is no use. Everyone's answer is checkdowns. But they forget our RB had to stay in and help block that pitiful offensive line. And Parker can't catch anyway. 2004,2005, 8.9 yards per pass, and about 20-25 fewer sacks. Some of you want a quick fix. Oh, it can't be the line. That would mean its time to rebuild. ANd we can't have that. If it weren't for Ben, we would have won 6 games last year. Remember when Batch came in and played the last game? He took no sacks. He got rid of the ball. But his offense PUNTED the ball 8 of the 1st 9 drives. He didn;t have time for his receivers to get open. He threw incomplete passes cause he doesn't have the ability to break tackles and run around and throw like Reothlisberger. Hence , the offense sucked. That's what would have happened if Ben would have thrown sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Good read, man... Thanx!

We keep hearing how he is more understanding of the system, and better aware... It was the same story last season to an extent (being better aware, taking more control...). While I do agree with it, and understand that it also plays a part in how much dirt he accumulates on his uniform, there are alot of other issues that contribute to him being sacked that this article doesn't go into by design. .... Just sayin'

I know what your hinting to there, NKy. The Arians factor is on everybody's mind. This will be the single most measurable factor that will impact our offense's success this upcoming season. Let's hope our OC learned to play chess this year. He has the pieces to attain success, how well he moves these pieces is the real story.
    Arians doesn't read the defense and make the decisions. That is all on Ben. Ben has enough experience that he should be able to audible out of any play to get a favorable match up and deliver the ball. Only he can deliver the ball not the OC.
    yep he sucks. He's terrible at reading defenses. YOu have to wonder how he even managed to win a game in his rookie season with that previous 6-10 team. Ooops, he won 14 games. With a 98% passer rating no less!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    yep he sucks. He's terrible at reading defenses. YOu have to wonder how he even managed to win a game in his rookie season with that previous 6-10 team. Ooops, he won 14 games. With a 98% passer rating no less!
    .....I don't think anyone was saying or implying that in any way... Every player can improve on last season, and that includes your Golden Boy...

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Good read, man... Thanx!

We keep hearing how he is more understanding of the system, and better aware... It was the same story last season to an extent (being better aware, taking more control...). While I do agree with it, and understand that it also plays a part in how much dirt he accumulates on his uniform, there are alot of other issues that contribute to him being sacked that this article doesn't go into by design. .... Just sayin'

I know what your hinting to there, NKy. The Arians factor is on everybody's mind. This will be the single most measurable factor that will impact our offense's success this upcoming season. Let's hope our OC learned to play chess this year. He has the pieces to attain success, how well he moves these pieces is the real story.
    In Arians defense, last season was his first as OC. But he comes into his second campaign with virtually no turnover in personnel (outside of Faneca) and a new RB and WR from the draft who both have a chance to be premier players in short order.

There's something to be said about continuity and unit cohesion. In times past the Steelers allowed players like Lloyd, Gildon, Kirkland and Porter to walk when the time was ripe. There were no regrets from the Steelers end on any of those departures (Porter is only a "possibly" at this point). Faneca is trending toward the same profile upon playing in his "greener pastures".

Meanwhile, Mr. Arians is still learning how to use all the tools in his tool box, but he has another year under his belt to learn how to avoid what didn't work the year before.

I'm willing to give Arians the benefit of the doubt. But Ben and his OL must coalesce and drive the number of his sacks down to at least half of what it was last season. That will go a long way toward improving an already efficient offense. Bringing Mendy and Sweed in and letting their individual talents add diversity to the offensive portfolio will only add to that improvement.

There's a lot to look forward to if the Steelers can get a good measure of health (never a sure thing) and equal measure of heads up play from a well-designed offensive game plan. There's no reason that the Steelers couldn't be an offensive juggernaut if they've done their homework and put in the effort.

I'm with you on the grace period, BH. Everybody was in their rookie season last year and didn't do to bad. Don't get me wrong, this was not an Arians bashing session on my behalf, I was just pointing out the obvious, that Arians will be the main factor in our offensive success this year. I think collectively we can say that he was extremely inconsistent with the calls last year and his in-game adjustments seemed horrid.... but throughout all that and a horrible OL, Ben put up stellar numbers and Willie got a Pro-Bowl berth. Not to shabby.
    I feel pretty much the same way as you guys, although I probably have less confidence in Arians' ability to make the most of his second chance. I've detailed enough reasons why I feel he is a liability as an OC so I won't get into it again, but I too agree with the concepts of continuity and learning from your mistakes. If it were up to me this would be a "step up or step off" year for Arians and I can only hope that Mike Tomlin feels the same way.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

I feel pretty much the same way as you guys, although I probably have less confidence in Arians' ability to make the most of his second chance. I've detailed enough reasons why I feel he is a liability as an OC so I won't get into it again, but I too agree with the concepts of continuity and learning from your mistakes. If it were up to me this would be a "step up or step off" year for Arians and I can only hope that Mike Tomlin feels the same way.

The "slow and steady" philosophy of our franchise would inidicate that Arians will continue to secure his job, as long as the team continues to improve (i.e. multiple pro bowls for several players in the offense, winning divisional title, offensive rankings.....). But how could you look at what we have as far as talent on this offensive squad and not think that we're going to compete in the "All out air-attack happy AFC?" If this OL can just improve, as far as skill positions on offense, I've never seen us this deep and this talented, since our hay day of the 70s. We have a franchise qb that's just now starting to peak with his potential, we have a great mix at WR of veterans and young talent... our backfield on paper looks unstoppable, at TE we have two redwoods with above average catching ability..... that's why (I assume) that most are quite restless with the guy who is in charge of all this talent. I hope Arians really proves us wrong.

Hall of Famer

... at TE we have two redwoods with above average catching ability.....
    Since you mentioned the TE position....... ..... I agree that we have a great talent at the TE position.... Hopefully our OC will find a way to implement them within the weekly gameplan...

Steelers' Spaeth gains strength, confidence
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Matt Spaeth is a lot more confident, and not just because the second-year tight end has a better grasp of the Steelers' playbook.

At this time last year, Spaeth was not only learning a new offense, he also was trying to regain the strength he had lost after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery after his senior season at the University of Minnesota.

"This is probably the best I've felt in a long time," Spaeth said Tuesday after a Steelers' OTA practice at their South Side facility.

Spaeth, a third-round pick in 2007, started six games as a rookie, but the Steelers used the 6-foot-7, 270-pounder primarily as a blocking tight end.

He finished the season with just six catches (though three of them were for touchdowns) for 41 yards, and he is hoping to become a bigger part of the passing game this season.

"I'm just going out here every day and trying to prove myself and show them I can do different things," Spaeth said, "and do them well so, hopefully, my role will be expanded."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ben have alot to say about the play calling last year didn't Arians and Ben work togeather. Now don't get me wrong i'm not putting all the blame on Ben I think there's enough blame to go around to all.I guess I'm just saying shouldn't of Ben have had a pertty good grasp of the plays he helped install

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ben have alot to say about the play calling last year didn't Arians and Ben work togeather. Now don't get me wrong i'm not putting all the blame on Ben I think there's enough blame to go around to all.I guess I'm just saying shouldn't of Ben have had a pertty good grasp of the plays he helped install
    ...Agreed, but the OC sets the plan, and changes it at mid-point if necessary, or within the game. Ben can only work within the constraints presented to him... Hell, he (Arians) refused to go to the shorter passes against Jax, IMHO.... .....

..............................OK, I am gonna stop my madness right now..... It's a new season, and I, as a fan, will also look at it this way....... "Lets' go Bruce".

good point, LETS GO STEELERS!!!!

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The sacks stat on Ben is different than it is for most, if not all other QBs.

For a pocket passer, you can say that the usual alternative to being sacked is throwing the ball away.

For Ben, sacks avoided often turn into huge plays. How many times does Ben escape the grasp of a defender, slide to another area of the field, and find the open receiver for a big play?

IMO, if Ben had the sack total of 14 like Anderson, he would become Anderson, and lose most of the things that make him special. There are many times when he should just throw the ball away and take the sack, and he must get better at that, but if he started throwing the ball away when he got a little bit of heat, we would miss out on a lot of special plays - the kind that give us big victories.

If you don't agree, think back to SB XL. that 3rd and 28 (I think) showed exactly the unique talents that set Ben apart from every other QB in the NFL.