Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Spaeth Article

Legend

User Info Menu

Good Spaeth Article

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_569622.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 69622.html[/url]

Steelers' Spaeth gains strength, confidence
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Buzz up!

Matt Spaeth is a lot more confident, and not just because the second-year tight end has a better grasp of the Steelers' playbook.
    At this time last year, Spaeth was not only learning a new offense, he also was trying to regain the strength he had lost after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery after his senior season at the University of Minnesota.

"This is probably the best I've felt in a long time," Spaeth said Tuesday after a Steelers' OTA practice at their South Side facility.

Spaeth, a third-round pick in 2007, started six games as a rookie, but the Steelers used the 6-foot-7, 270-pounder primarily as a blocking tight end.

He finished the season with just six catches (though three of them were for touchdowns) for 41 yards, and he is hoping to become a bigger part of the passing game this season.
    "I'm just going out here every day and trying to prove myself and show them I can do different things," Spaeth said, "and do them well so, hopefully, my role will be expanded."

I think if Ben would use Mille5r and Spaeth more, the number of sacks would drop significantly. I didn't know Spaeth had surgery before the season last year. Hopefully he is dominant this year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Good Spaeth Article

Nice read. I dunno how you can't be excited about our offense this season. The only problem I see is we have so many weapons we can't get them all on the field at the same time. Well the OL is a problem too but hopefully that won't be an issue this year...
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully the increased strength will help him continue developing as a blocker. With all of the other options on offense, I'd be shocked if he tops 25 catches. This isn't a dig -- I think that his size and his presence will at least force defenses to account for him, especially in the red zone. But Hines, Santonio, Sweed, Heath, Mendenhall, Moore -- lots of options in the passing game. I think that Spaeth will need to really continue his development as a blocker to contribute more, but I also look forward to him developing as another weapon in the receiving game, even if he is one that isn't used a whole lot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Hopefully the increased strength will help him continue developing as a blocker. With all of the other options on offense, I'd be shocked if he tops 25 catches. This isn't a dig -- I think that his size and his presence will at least force defenses to account for him, especially in the red zone. But Hines, Santonio, Sweed, Heath, Mendenhall, Moore -- lots of options in the passing game. I think that Spaeth will need to really continue his development as a blocker to contribute more, but I also look forward to him developing as another weapon in the receiving game, even if he is one that isn't used a whole lot.
    I'm hoping he gets 20-22 catches and 6TDs.

Legend

User Info Menu

His size forced teams to account for him last year, but, our offensive, offensive coordinator didn't use him enough. Spaeth had his three TDs in the first 2 or 3 games (IIRC) and then nothing. Catching them in the beginning means that Ben was looking for him. The only explanation for lack of output after that has to be the OC. I can't believe that after 2-3 games that other teams started focusing on him and he couldn't get open.

The Steelers really need Arians to do a better job this year.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I didn't know Spaeth had surgery before the season last year.
    Me either.This could explain why he was so terrible at blocking last season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    His size forced teams to account for him last year, but, our offensive, offensive coordinator didn't use him enough. Spaeth had his three TDs in the first 2 or 3 games (IIRC) and then nothing. Catching them in the beginning means that Ben was looking for him. The only explanation for lack of output after that has to be the OC. I can't believe that after 2-3 games that other teams started focusing on him and he couldn't get open.

Pappy
    I agree on the Arians sentiments and lord knows he's not noted for being the best in-game strategist for making adjustments. But if memory serves me correctly, Spaeth pulled that hammy that had him sidelined for a bit. Just seemed to nag him all year.... like Timmons, absorption of playbook+rookie year+nagging injury = limited play time.

J_C_Steel

He's ridiculously slow, so we can never expect a lot of yards after the catch with Spaeth, but he can certainly use his big body and long arms to present a nice target in the red zone and at the chains.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel
    He's ridiculously slow, so we can never expect a lot of yards after the catch with Spaeth, but he can certainly use his big body and long arms to present a nice target in the red zone and at the chains.
    As long as he catches what's thrown his way I'm fine with no YAC,we have other WRs that will provide the YAC. Spaeth's biggest role will be a chain mover and TD maker and there isn't anything wrong with that.

By the way, your sig is the absolute best so far. I wish I had thought of it.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon

Pappy
    I'm not so sure that it was Arians and not Ben falling into the Ben mindset of looking for a big play downfield, hence holding on to the ball and taking sacks. Before I cleared out my DVR I had the two games still on it and rewatched. I counted at least half a dozen times that Spaeth broke open against a LB and Ben held the ball and eventually either threw deep or took a sack. Ben needs to look for his TEs more often and sooner if he is going to become the QB he has the ability to be.