Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Spaeth Article

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Good Spaeth Article

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Hopefully the increased strength will help him continue developing as a blocker. With all of the other options on offense, I'd be shocked if he tops 25 catches. This isn't a dig -- I think that his size and his presence will at least force defenses to account for him, especially in the red zone. But Hines, Santonio, Sweed, Heath, Mendenhall, Moore -- lots of options in the passing game. I think that Spaeth will need to really continue his development as a blocker to contribute more, but I also look forward to him developing as another weapon in the receiving game, even if he is one that isn't used a whole lot.
    His size forced teams to account for him last year, but, our offensive, offensive coordinator didn't use him enough. Spaeth had his three TDs in the first 2 or 3 games (IIRC) and then nothing. Catching them in the beginning means that Ben was looking for him. The only explanation for lack of output after that has to be the OC. I can't believe that after 2-3 games that other teams started focusing on him and he couldn't get open.

The Steelers really need Arians to do a better job this year.

Pappy
    I'm not so sure that it was Arians and not Ben falling into the Ben mindset of looking for a big play downfield, hence holding on to the ball and taking sacks. Before I cleared out my DVR I had the two games still on it and rewatched. I counted at least half a dozen times that Spaeth broke open against a LB and Ben held the ball and eventually either threw deep or took a sack. Ben needs to look for his TEs more often and sooner if he is going to become the QB he has the ability to be.
    The corollary to that theory then is why did Ben see him in the first few games as clear as day and not later in the season? If Spaeth hadn't completely fell off the face of the earth I would be more inclined to go along with the Ben holding it to make a big play or taking sack. However, Spaeth, just disappeared without a trace after the 3rd or 4th game.

Without reviewing the game film as you have I really can't say, but, I'd like to see the packages the Steelers were using in games 1-4 in the red zone and then the packages in games 5-16 in the red zone; that would give us a bit of an answeer to this question.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget that Spaeth missed two or three games with an injury and after that Ben never looked his way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Too many weapons is a great problem to have.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Too many weapons is a great problem to have.
    Good point. Just trying to figure out how Spaeth went from being a target to nothing after a few games.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Assuming that Sweed is ready to play and is working out, I want to see a lot more 3 wr sets. I would rather have a lot more of Hines, Holmes, and Sweed than Hine, Holmes, and Spaeth.

Now, I can see running a lot more 3 WR 2TE sets as opposed to 4WR sets.

Or have him present in short yardage and redzone. But if Spaeth is regularly on the field, then I won't be happy.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Assuming that Sweed is ready to play and is working out, I want to see a lot more 3 wr sets. I would rather have a lot more of Hines, Holmes, and Sweed than Hine, Holmes, and Spaeth.

Or have him present in short yardage and redzone. But if Spaeth is regularly on the field, then I won't be happy.

I'm fine with the instances that we generate plays that use 3 WRs and 2 TEs..... so long as we chip away yards. Spaeth is what he is, a big body with above average hands, he's by no means an option if you want to stretch the field. I would rather have 3/2 sets rather than use our 4 WRs sets... because IMO they weren't very productive last year. Last year I was more confident in throwing a pass to a rookie like Spaeth, rather than seeing the ball go Ced's way. Until we get very competent #3 and #4 WRs that are going to be consistent, I would hope we don't try and execute these feeble attempts at stretching the field using a "spread offense." Like any DC last year said...."Oooh Nate Washington and Ced Wilson need attention because they're dangerous receivers." I think that Spaeth could be an asset as long as we don't try and fit a square peg in a round hole. He'll be great for short staggered curl routes that are 4-5 yards off the line or used in the redzone package.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

I'm fine with the instances that we generate plays that use 3 WRs and 2 TEs..... so long as we chip away yards. Spaeth is what he is, a big body with above average hands, he's by no means an option if you want to stretch the field. I would rather have 3/2 sets rather than use our 4 WRs sets... because IMO they weren't very productive last year. Last year I was more confident in throwing a pass to a rookie like Spaeth, rather than seeing the ball go Ced's way. Until we get very competent #3 and #4 WRs that are going to be consistent, I would hope we don't try and execute these feeble attempts at stretching the field using a "spread offense." Like any DC last year said...."Oooh Nate Washington and Ced Wilson need attention because they're dangerous receivers." I think that Spaeth could be an asset as long as we don't try and fit a square peg in a round hole. He'll be great for short staggered curl routes that are 4-5 yards off the line or used in the redzone package.
    Yes. That is why my premise is "Sweed is good". Then it becomes a question of the 4th WR (I assume Washington) or Spaeth.
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes. That is why my premise is "Sweed is good". Then it becomes a question of the 4th WR (I assume Washington) or Spaeth.

Agreed. If Sweed is everything that's advertised, we won't need to rely on the 4th option.

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth can actually catch unlike the 4th WR.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Spaeth can actually catch unlike the 4th WR.
    Spaeth dropped at least one easy catch (I think against Cleveland or Jax). He was wide open and it would have moved the chains.
    another AA/AS original.