Thread: June signings?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

June signings?

I didn't realize teams did this. I guess the June cuts have to happen, but I thought Olivea was already a free agent. Who could this mystery team be? I remember seeing alot of posters' off season plans on the Trib board a while back, and a couple of you guys wanted Olivea. I don't think we need him as we have people at least as good if not better than him on our O Line already. But I found this tidbit interesting.

The 49ers have inquired about some possible veteran free-agent pickups. They asked about Shane Olivea recently, but were told that Olivea has already agreed to terms with another club. Olivea, who lost his starting job and fell out of favor with the Chargers, is expected to sign with that team in June.
    Source: [url="http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2206778"]http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2206778[/url]
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

J_C_Steel

Re: June signings?

Olivea has no heart. None. Zip. Nada.

He was kicked off the Chargers just a year or so after signing a big deal because he didn't even play like he CARES. I don't want a guy like that lining up at offensive tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The only June signing that I'd like to see is Anthony McFarland, if he's healthy...

Legend

User Info Menu

Adding Olivea makes no sense for the Steelers because they already need to make decisions on Starks and Smith plus they have Colon.

It would only make sense signing him to back up dollars and see if he could revitalize his career.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel
    Olivea has no heart. None. Zip. Nada.

He was kicked off the Chargers just a year or so after signing a big deal because he didn't even play like he CARES. I don't want a guy like that lining up at offensive tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The only June signing that I'd like to see is Anthony McFarland, if he's healthy...
    I'm surprised that Olivea has had as much of a NFL career as he's had. If the Steelers sign him (they won't), it would strictly be as a backup.

McFarland is intriguing in that he would be a pickup of need. If he's healthy, he's worth the flier and would add depth to a unit that still needs it.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I didn't realize teams did this. I guess the June cuts have to happen, but I thought Olivea was already a free agent. Who could this mystery team be? I remember seeing alot of posters' off season plans on the Trib board a while back, and a couple of you guys wanted Olivea. I don't think we need him as we have people at least as good if not better than him on our O Line already. But I found this tidbit interesting.
    I could be wrong, but I think that teams are allowed to make one cut at any time and designate it as a post June 1 cut. So I'd guess that the mystery team is somebody that already made an early cut, designated it post June 1, and is still right up against the cap. Carolina maybe? Just speculation, but they made a lot of cuts.

With the roster as it is now, the Steelers would have no room for this guy.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel

Agreed, but not necessarily with McFarland, but any possible Dline depth help.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i agree the steelers dont need olivea. i would love it if they got a healthy macfarland. they need depth on the d-line