Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Young almost quits after 1 year.

LasVegasGuy

Vince Young almost quits after 1 year.

Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

Whatever, he probably thought about quitting for 5 minutes then reality hit home. I could rob 7-11's or I could quarterback the Tennessee Titans? We aren't talking about the "sharpest knife in the drawer."

LasVegasGuy

Re: Vince Young almost quits after 1 year.

Before this board gets all crazy with 7-11 remark, white people rob them too.

Backup

User Info Menu

OVER-RRATED....
    OVER-RRATED...

there are a two dozen QB's I'd take over him, probably more.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    OVER-RRATED....
    OVER-RRATED...

I don't know if he is that over-rated but in a few years we will know for sure.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He sucks.

Is that succinct enough?

The guy just isn't a good decision maker. You can't have a guy back there that solely relies on athletic ability, or you end up with Kordell Stewart basically. He won't ever get the Titans over the top.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    OVER-RRATED....
    OVER-RRATED...

I don't know if he is that over-rated but in a few years we will know for sure.
    problem is, he's not able to dominate in the nfl on pure physical talents alone... which is what made him shine at texas.

i think the kid has the gusto to excel, just not the talents at QB needed to be a franchise-type guy.

my .02

Backup

User Info Menu

I kinda pull for him to do well.I mean dang, he's not a Cheat,Bungle,Felon or Stain!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i wish he would have bailed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsun7
    I kinda pull for him to do well.I mean dang, he's not a Cheat,Bungle,Felon or Stain!
    at least not yet anyway

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have seen sucessful people unravel in all sorts of ways. I have observed very bright people self destruct as a way of "quiting". Sometimes quiting isn't really an option...so they find ways to throw it away. Then you have the masses scratching their heads...because they would have killed to be in that position. Check out Spitzer. The guy had life by the balls...and flushed it all down the drain. He was freaking involved in the very thing he was prosecuting. What bright person does that sort of thing? So, I commend Young for finding a way not to go down that road. He felt the heat...the stress...and all that comes with that...and he came out the other side stronger. Good for him.
    Trolls are people too.