Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lets play Coach

Legend

Re: Lets play Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    SL...I agree with most of what you said...good write up. But, a few things.

1) Teach Ben not only to throw away the ball but to use his hot routes and RBs as outlet valves. Ben is so into vertical passing that he takes alot of sacks. Sometimes letting your talented RBs do their job is essential.

2) No matter how much time Bloom and Reid watch Welker...they will still suck. Reid has proven that and Bloom couldn't even make the Eagles squad. I would rather see Ward take up this role.
    About Ben & throwing it away...do any of you think that with Moore or Mendenhall in there to catch dump-offs, that Ben's sack will go down?

As for Reid & Bloom...I know what you mean about their limited upside - but living here in Florida, I saw how Welker blossomed from nobody to stalwart. I doubt Bloom will pay off, but Willie does seem to have what it takes - but he'll have to play like Welker to stick.
    It took Welker 3-4 years to really take off (everyone forgets he was cut in San Diego). This is Reid's third year. It would be nice if history repeats itself. I know the vast majority are down on Reid, but I still like his ability to run after the catch and get extra yards which is something that we never saw from Wilson or Washington. Hines and Holmes do it, but Wilson and Washington never did. I think that is why the Patriots passing offense is so good. All their receivers get yards after the catch and they have for years. It makes a huge difference.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I think the problem here guys is that once Reid injured his foot...he hasn't been
    the same. I remember his first preseason game he looked more explosive than
    Holmes. I mean the guy had serious burst. Then the foot injury...and now he
    just seems a step slower. I don't think he ever fully recovered.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I think the problem here guys is that once Reid injured his foot...he hasn't been
    the same. I remember his first preseason game he looked more explosive than
    Holmes. I mean the guy had serious burst. Then the foot injury...and now he
    just seems a step slower. I don't think he ever fully recovered.
    I saw the same thing you did. Hopefully a full year to recover will make the diference
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Mendenhall & Russell both need to get a start in a preseason game. I would like to see them both run with the 1st O for a long period of time.

Davenport would get worked hard at FB. I want to see if he could be the "John L WIlliams" type of FB in this sytem. With the O evolving, I need to see what impact a FB like that will have on this offense. If Davenport doesn't welcome his new role and doesn't really seperate himself from Davis...I would trade/release Dookie.

Big Ben doesn't need to be on the field in game situations long. Batch will get most of the game reps between #1 & #2. The only reason Batch gets more time is because we need a vet QB working with the young WRs. There is 3 camp arms. Dixon needs as much time under center as possible. I need to evaluate him quickly to see if he could take over #2 for Batch in the future.

I need to get this OL issues solved early. The most important thing with new players on the OL is getting them to gel. I will probably know before the 1st preseason game that Hartwig is my center. Kemo is handed the LG spot. I need to watch him and see if he will be a liability in pass blocking. If I have any doubt early, I need to start the Colon experiment. If it looks like he could hold down that spot, I have Colon & Starks battle it out at RT. I also need to get a good look at Starks, Hills, Essex, & Capazzi at LT. I need to plan for the future because Smith will be "Overpriced" to stay a Steeler. I need to start developing LTs.

I need to find a #3 TE. Miller & Spaeth have the #1 & #2 locked down. This player might end up on the practice squad but it is a must. I am more interested in his blocking ability as a TE.

This might be my toughest job this year. Allot of depth at WR. Ward's career is coming to the end and I need to start planning for life after Ward. The pieces are in place but I have some extra pieces to this puzzle. Holmes, Ward, Sweed, & Washington are in place but there is allot of talent behind them. Reid still hasn't realized his potential as a returner or WR. The ability is there but the window is closing. Baker is making a strong push for the 53 and might make it difficult to pass. I am in desperate need of a returner and Bloom & Marion are making noise. Rucker & Trannon are also in the mix and can't be counted out. I think this might be the year I need to go 6 WR deep on the 53 and the #6 might be a KR/PR. Only the preseason will tell the tale, but if Marion or Bloom have a big preseason returning kicks I think Baker has a better chance on the 53 than Reid.

The DL is my only concern. I have a solid starting group but depth is a question. Hoke is a solid back-up & could start if needed. Kirschke & Eason are hole filers at best. McBean looks in great shape but I need to see if the "Paralysis by Analysis" Rookie disease is gone. If he could step up, it would help the situation. Getting him healthy is a priority.
    Clement is big, young, & raw. I'm hoping he could develop enough to push some vet back-ups but I think he is PS material because of the learning curve. I don't know if any of the young guys could contribute this year. I will be looking at FA after June 1 to see if anyone will fit the system and come at a bargain. I think both Eason & Kirschke can be upgraded.

I am very happy with the LB group. Woodley & J Harrison have the outside locked up. Davis is there to develop behind them. There is an opening at OLB and A Harrison & Frazier have some company. Fox is in the mix as well as some UDFAs. Fox & A Harrison will get some time inside as well. There is some competition in the middle. Farrior is, most likely, in his last year here. Timmons will push Foote for a starting spot. I need to look at the combinations of Farrior & Foote...Farrior & Timmons...Foote & Timmons. Even if Timmons beats out Foote I expect Foote to be in the mix next year for a starting position with Farrior's departure. Humpal will get a good look inside but even if he shows some ability he will be a PS player.

I need to get McFadden back in the starting rotation. Taylor is locked in at one spot but Townsend is getting by on instincts right now. He would be a solid nickel/dime back but I need to see McFadden back in there so I could see if he is the future. He is in his last year and I need to know if he could produce. He showed great ability when he was healthy. I hoping he returns to form. Townsend & Gay look like solid depth and nickel/dime backs. I need to see gay play against some #1 & #2 WRs during the pre-season. I think there might be a battle at the #5 corner. Madison might have some competiotn from Williams & Lewis. Williams & Lewis must excel as the ST "gunner" to have a shot. Williams & Lewis also might get a look at KR/PR. I think #5 CB will be a good competition that will go deep into the pre-season. Mason is still in the mix but I think one of the 3 previously mentioned gets the spot this year.

The S positions are not exactly set. Troy is penciled in as the starting SS but Clark & Smith will battle it out for the other. I need to see both of them with the 1st unit. I need to see how far along Clark is with his recovery. From last season, Clark is better in coverage but Smith is better at run support. Smith can work on his covergae ability but I think we have seen Clark's ceiling for run support. I'm not counting out Smith to compete for the starting position. He got an "Education" last year and might respond better than we anticipate. Regardless of what happens, the other provides solid depth. Carter has his work cut out for him. His knowledge of the defense will be challanged now by some young & hungry talent. I don't expect him to be standing when the dust clears but he will get his fair shot. I think Lorello or Mundy takes his roster spot.

If I was the coach.

I hope so O...but I think he had a lis franc which can end careers.

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    i don't know how you can say he isn't worth a dang because of his performance at UNC.
    if you said: i can't stand how he can't get tough yards
    id understand...
    willie just isn't an every down back. when he has a compliment we're much better off. i think we have that compliment. no need to trash the guy though.
    although i agree he has a GREAT attitude.
    i never said he wasn't worth a dang, i said he wasn't the total package. IF he was, he wouldn't have ridden the pine for a terrible football team. i realize he didn't jive with the coach and all that, but the fact remains he isn't LT, sanders, sayers, emmitt, thumanator, etc.

again, not a knock on him, just reality that he's not elite.
    he's been pretty darn good to great for us, but he's not elite.