Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lets play Coach

Re: Lets play Coach

This is a good thread tiopic.

1. I would have Lebough come up with some creative schemes moving our LBs around.
    I definately want to see J. Harrison at ILB, Timmons at OLB, Woodley at ILB, B. Davis inside and outside etc. With all of these weapons it would give opposing teams nightmares not knowing whos coming from where.

2. I want to see Colon tried at LG and Kemo tried at RG. But by the 3rd preseason game I want the o-line set. Cohesiveness is also important.

3. Mendy will get reps with the first team, I want to see Russel get time with the first team also. I do however think that FWP is the best compliment for a powerback. Beat down the defense with either Mendenhall or Russel, the set Willie free.

4. Give Hoke plenty of reps at DE, he is our best hope for the DE rotation IMO.
    Hopefully we bring in McFarland to back up Casey or rotate in with the DEs.

Thats the bulk of what I would do.

Another AS masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s

1. I would have Lebough come up with some creative schemes moving our LBs around.
    I definately want to see J. Harrison at ILB, Timmons at OLB, Woodley at ILB, B. Davis inside and outside etc. With all of these weapons it would give opposing teams nightmares not knowing whos coming from where.

2. I want to see Colon tried at LG and Kemo tried at RG. But by the 3rd preseason game I want the o-line set. Cohesiveness is also important.

3. Mendy will get reps with the first team, I want to see Russel get time with the first team also. I do however think that FWP is the best compliment for a powerback. Beat down the defense with either Mendenhall or Russel, the set Willie free.

One of my biggest wishes...rotation on the d - line. I think it helps in the 4th quarter big time, undoubtedly moreso in close games.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s

One of my biggest wishes...rotation on the d - line. I think it helps in the 4th quarter big time, undoubtedly moreso in close games.
    I agree, as long as it doesn't include Eason. Letting Eason in even for one play is asking for trouble.

Another AS masterpiece.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    If you were the coach of the Steelers...how would you shape this team with our current talent?

1) I would really keep an open mind about the running back situation with an eye towards the future. I believe Russell and Mendenhall are very similar backs. I would certain gear the preseason around seeing if Mendenhall/Russell could be the 1a and 1b starting backs. They both run hard...can catch...and have terrific vision. I think you could beat on teams with these guys and let Parker do his thing late when the D is tired. Can you imagine chasing a fresh Parker in the late 3rd quarter?

2) I would like to see 3 WR/2 RB sets out of shotgun. Could you imagine Ward in the slot, Sweed and Holmes on the outside with Russell and Mendy coming out of the backfield?

3) My Oline would look like this:
    Smith...Colon...Hartwig...Simmons...Starks

4) McFadden...Ike are starting corners with Townsend and Gay in the Dime. I would certainly take a look at Townsend at FS.

5) I would find room for Davis early...let him pin his ears back and blitz in certain packages.

6) Gone....Reid...Davenport

7) Dallas Baker makes the squad

Completely agree on all points. I always liked the idea of moving Townsend to FS.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Reid more as a receiver only because he seemed to make stuff happen the few times he saw the ball. I doubt it happens though. I'm really surprised how much he sucked at returns. I understand the transition, challenge from college to the pros but how different can fielding a ball without dropping it be?

I agree Dookie's probably gone or maybe he can bump Davis at FB. Speaking of, does Kreider still have a shot at coming back?

I would like to see them sign Booger if he's healthy enough, obviously. Next question in my ADHD tirade is K.Brady still available? A blocking TE would probably be a good idea behind this line.

Damn, as much as I don't wanna wish summer away... Ah, screw it I'm ready for some Steeler Football!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kennyes
    If you were the coach of the Steelers...how would you shape this team with our current talent?

1) I would really keep an open mind about the running back situation with an eye towards the future. I believe Russell and Mendenhall are very similar backs. I would certain gear the preseason around seeing if Mendenhall/Russell could be the 1a and 1b starting backs. They both run hard...can catch...and have terrific vision. I think you could beat on teams with these guys and let Parker do his thing late when the D is tired. Can you imagine chasing a fresh Parker in the late 3rd quarter?

2) I would like to see 3 WR/2 RB sets out of shotgun. Could you imagine Ward in the slot, Sweed and Holmes on the outside with Russell and Mendy coming out of the backfield?

4) McFadden...Ike are starting corners with Townsend and Gay in the Dime. I would certainly take a look at Townsend at FS.

5) I would find room for Davis early...let him pin his ears back and blitz in certain packages.

Completely agree on all points. I always liked the idea of moving Townsend to FS.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Reid more as a receiver only because he seemed to make stuff happen the few times he saw the ball. I doubt it happens though. I'm really surprised how much he sucked at returns. I understand the transition, challenge from college to the pros but how different can fielding a ball without dropping it be?

I agree Dookie's probably gone or maybe he can bump Davis at FB. Speaking of, does Kreider still have a shot at coming back?

I would like to see them sign Booger if he's healthy enough, obviously. Next question in my ADHD tirade is K.Brady still available? A blocking TE would probably be a good idea behind this line.

Damn, as much as I don't wanna wish summer away... Ah, screw it I'm ready for some Steeler Football!
    I'd also love to see Townsend at Safety. It would extent his career by a couple of years and he seems to have the smarts to play there. Just please no Anthony Smith back there.

I've seen the same thing from Reid. I think if everyone would get off him as a returner and see that he could be an excellent slot receiver. I'd like to see him get extensive WR work in the preseason and measure his value.

Not sure Brady would get much of an opportunity to play in the schemes they will likely run with the weapons they have.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

i would like to see more hybrid defenses similar to what the * run. even though i hate the * i have to give them credit for being inventive with their defenses...
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    i would like to see more hybrid defenses similar to what the * run. even though i hate the * i have to give them credit for being inventive with their defenses...

Yeah its nice to know "where to be" on every play. I can go out there and be effective if I knew what play was coming!

In all seriousness, your point is valid. They mix things up pretty well.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

J_C_Steel

I think Willie Parker has proven that he's an elite back. Maybe the blocking schemes weren't as great for him lately and Arians/Tomlin can tweak some plays for him, but Willie's going to get 15-20 carries a game.

I think Russell has the ability, but he hasn't shown that he can be productive over a full season. Unfortunately for him, it's going to be HARD for him to get carries with Parker/Mendenhall ahead of him. And he has virtually no shot of lining up as the starting 3rd down back with Mewelde Moore signed for pretty much that precise job.

I like the depth, but it's gonna be Parker/Mendenhall this year with some Moore on third downs... And I agree with that.

I like the "boxcar" set, but I'd do it with Mendenhall and Parker. Teams will have to respect Parker's speed, and Arians could send him on a deep route to draw away coverage. Mendy would be perfect for an inside draw.

Mine looks like this:

LT Smith
    LG Kemoeatu
    C Hartwig
    RG Simmons/Colon
    RT Starks

The only true "open" spot to me will end up being RG, where Simmons' shoulder surgery may allow Colon to move inside and take his position.

McFadden hired Rosenhaus as his agent -- his play better back up that move or he won't end up getting paid in '09. Everyone spends preseason predicted Deshea's demise, but that old cat just ends up playing good positional football every year. Crazy.

Would Deshea work at FS? I don't know. He certainly has the instincts and the coverage ability, but I'm not sure his body would hold up to the more constant hitting. Just a thought.

Davis and Andre Frazier or whoever else is backing up at OLB will get some reps -- Harrison and Woodley can't play every play all year at that demanding position. I'd like to see Davis take 10-12 snaps a game.

Cut -- Reid, Davenport, and Tyrone Carter

I'm going with a WR corps of Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Washington, Rucker and Bloom (WR/Returner). We shall see...

I will address this to both JC and Fla. I'm not sure what makes an elite back in your mind. I guess that's where we differ in opinion. I think Parker is far from an elite back. I believe him to be an average back with world class speed. I love his speed...please don't get me wrong. But, he doesn't move the chains. He doesn't get the tough yards. He doesn't make teams respect the inside running game. He doesn't take pressure off of Ben. Despite hitting homeruns he has a poor batting average. For me...I think this team would be much deadlier with a consistent threat.

As for putting Parker in the "boxcar" sets...it will probably happen but I'm not sure it's for the best. Unless Parker can prove to be better at catching the ball it just wont work. How often does Ben go to Parker now in the passing game? Why would that change? Russell is known for his soft hands. But, I'll tell ya what. We might both be wrong. It could very well be Mendenhall and Moore in that set. That would not surprise me one bit.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Legend

I will address this to both JC and Fla. I'm not sure what makes an elite back in your mind. I guess that's where we differ in opinion. I think Parker is far from an elite back. I believe him to be an average back with world class speed. I love his speed...please don't get me wrong. But, he doesn't move the chains. He doesn't get the tough yards. He doesn't make teams respect the inside running game. He doesn't take pressure off of Ben. Despite hitting homeruns he has a poor batting average. For me...I think this team would be much deadlier with a consistent threat.

As for putting Parker in the "boxcar" sets...it will probably happen but I'm not sure it's for the best. Unless Parker can prove to be better at catching the ball it just wont work. How often does Ben go to Parker now in the passing game? Why would that change? Russell is known for his soft hands. But, I'll tell ya what. We might both be wrong. It could very well be Mendenhall and Moore in that set. That would not surprise me one bit.
    I personally would like to see a backfield of Russell and Mendenhall late in games when we have the lead. IMO they would create match up issues for opponents because both could bang on them all day plus if reputation has anything to do with it they are better receivers than Parker.

Moore is the real wildcard. he was brought in to catch the ball out of the backfield, but that was before the Steelers had any hope they would have Mendenhall on the roster. With the addition of RM, he may be used almost exclusively for returns. I just would really rather have FWP, Russell and RM getting the ball in the backfield than Moore.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB