Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets play Coach

Lets play Coach

If you were the coach of the Steelers...how would you shape this team with our current talent?

1) I would really keep an open mind about the running back situation with an eye towards the future. I believe Russell and Mendenhall are very similar backs. I would certain gear the preseason around seeing if Mendenhall/Russell could be the 1a and 1b starting backs. They both run hard...can catch...and have terrific vision. I think you could beat on teams with these guys and let Parker do his thing late when the D is tired. Can you imagine chasing a fresh Parker in the late 3rd quarter?

2) I would like to see 3 WR/2 RB sets out of shotgun. Could you imagine Ward in the slot, Sweed and Holmes on the outside with Russell and Mendy coming out of the backfield?

3) My Oline would look like this:
    Smith...Colon...Hartwig...Simmons...Starks

4) McFadden...Ike are starting corners with Townsend and Gay in the Dime. I would certainly take a look at Townsend at FS.

5) I would find room for Davis early...let him pin his ears back and blitz in certain packages.

6) Gone....Reid...Davenport

7) Dallas Baker makes the squad

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Re: Lets play Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    1) I would really keep an open mind about the running back situation with an eye towards the future. I believe Russell and Mendenhall are very similar backs. I would certain gear the preseason around seeing if Mendenhall/Russell could be the 1a and 1b starting backs. They both run hard...can catch...and have terrific vision. I think you could beat on teams with these guys and let Parker do his thing late when the D is tired. Can you imagine chasing a fresh Parker in the late 3rd quarter?
    The Steelers may well have the three best backs in the AFC North. The only other team with a RB close to being in that neighborhood might be Lewis for the Clowns. And you know that Parker and Mendy would be ahead of him if they, perish the thought, wore the uniform of the Clowns

The running game for the Steelers will be the element that gives them the right to talk about the playoffs from the outset.

2) I would like to see 3 WR/2 RB sets out of shotgun. Could you imagine Ward in the slot, Sweed and Holmes on the outside with Russell and Mendy coming out of the backfield?
    On a set like that, most defenses would be assuming pass. If they send Mendy off guard on a formation like that, he would gain first down yardage or better about 90% of the time.

Looks like my starting OL...print it!!!

4) McFadden...Ike are starting corners with Townsend and Gay in the Dime. I would certainly take a look at Townsend at FS.
    I need to see more out of McFadden. This is a make or break year for him. Moving Townsend inside certainly wouldn't hurt. I just hope that McFadden doesn't p.. away another opportunity to be a starter.

5) I would find room for Davis early...let him pin his ears back and blitz in certain packages.
    I would think that he will be a ST nightmare on certain packages for the Steelers. Teams won't necessarily be looking for a rookie like Davis to do much on a 3rd and long. That's where the Steelers can make some hay.

Word!!!

Maybe. I think he has the tools. If he can play up to the ability of Washington, I don't see why not. I think, though, that he'll get caught in a numbers crunch on the last cut.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

you always have to look to the future, esp. with running backs since they have such a short NFL life, but don't overlook parker. he's the best back on this team.

i would love to see ward in the slot in certain packages, he would put up numbers like Welker did from the same position (and welker is half the reciever ward is)

OL looks ok, but drop Colon and put Kemo there. that is a no-brainer. i'd let simmons and colon fight it out for left guard and let the best man keep it..

McFad needs to start IMO and townswend needs to move to safety. he's our best option there.

I want davis to play ST his first year here and maybe in two years he'll see significant playing time

Davenport is def. gone and Reid has a snowball chance in hell of making the team. sadly that's an even better chance than davenport.

baker makes the team. i think he catches a few balls this year and suprises some people.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    you always have to look to the future, esp. with running backs since they have such a short NFL life, but don't overlook parker. he's the best back on this team.

i would love to see ward in the slot in certain packages, he would put up numbers like Welker did from the same position (and welker is half the reciever ward is)

OL looks ok, but drop Colon and put Kemo there. that is a no-brainer. i'd let simmons and colon fight it out for left guard and let the best man keep it..

McFad needs to start IMO and townswend needs to move to safety. he's our best option there.

I want davis to play ST his first year here and maybe in two years he'll see significant playing time

Davenport is def. gone and Reid has a snowball chance in hell of making the team. sadly that's an even better chance than davenport.

baker makes the team. i think he catches a few balls this year and suprises some people.
    A couple things...why is Kemo a no brainer at LG? LG usually has to be the more mobile of the two guards. LG has to be the more athletic. Kemo is brute force..a nasty mauler type. He is actually better suited at the RG position in my book. Colon is known for his mobility. He is actually fairly light on his feet for a big man. If Colon switches to G I would have to think it's LG. Let Kemo and Simmons fight it out on the right.

As for Parker being the best back on this team...well on third and 4...I would take Mendenhall or Russell more than Parker. Parker lacks the ability to move chains...to sustain drives. I agree that Russell and Mendenhall haven't yet proven anything at the pro level but I would be lying if I said their potential doesn't excite me.

Hall of Famer

because colon isn't a very good football player.. yet. I don't have any idea how he won the RT spot let alone how he would win the LG spot. plus it seems that we aren't using the guard as we've traditionally used it. We zone blocked more last year than i can ever remember and kemo would be the best fit there for that scheme IMHO.
    really we're just splittin hairs here. i personally don't believe our future starter at LG is currently on the team... but kemo is the guy i would put there now.
    and about parker on 3 and 4 i like him in there it's 3rd and less then 4 that i don't like him in there. i've been saying since bettis left (actually when bettis was still here toward the end i didn't think he could get it done) that we needed a big strong back to move the chains. we've always been at our best when we had good complimentary backs. at least since foster.

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

because colon isn't a very good football player.. yet. I don't have any idea how he won the RT spot let alone how he would win the LG spot. plus it seems that we aren't using the guard as we've traditionally used it. We zone blocked more last year than i can ever remember and kemo would be the best fit there for that scheme IMHO.
    really we're just splittin hairs here. i personally don't believe our future starter at LG is currently on the team... but kemo is the guy i would put there now.
    and about parker on 3 and 4 i like him in there it's 3rd and less then 4 that i don't like him in there. i've been saying since bettis left (actually when bettis was still here toward the end i didn't think he could get it done) that we needed a big strong back to move the chains. we've always been at our best when we had good complimentary backs. at least since foster.
    Well, we certainly see things a bit differently. Colon IMO was the second best OLman last season. He is mobile enough to play tackle...so you would have to assume he is mobile enough to play LG. We did do some zone blocking last season but the LG on our line has alot of pulling responsibilities. I just don't see Kemo being mobile enough to be a great LG.

Hall of Famer

Well, we certainly see things a bit differently. Colon IMO was the second best OLman last season. He is mobile enough to play tackle...so you would have to assume he is mobile enough to play LG. We did do some zone blocking last season but the LG on our line has alot of pulling responsibilities. I just don't see Kemo being mobile enough to be a great LG.
    i've been rewatching games and our right side, esp. colon got worse and worse as the year went on. and by the way, right tackles are no where near as athletic as left guards. and we didn't man block (pull) nearly as much as we did prior to this year. we are going to be doing more and more zone blocking...
    but like i said, is our future lg either kemo or colon.. i don't believe so.

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

SteelForce

If you were the coach of the Steelers...how would you shape this team with our current talent?

Can't argue with any of this except I'd like to see Kemo out there (RG or LG, but I want some nasty on that O-Line),I'd like to see Gay get a genuine chance to take the job from Townie,and I want Reid punished before he goes. Put a bag over his head and arm a gauntlet line with tire irons and aluminum bats and shovels full of cat feces on the way to his car.

Starter

to be quite honest i haven't seen enough of gary russell to put him up there as a number one guy, just based on what rashard did in college, should get him some touches...willie is a pro bowler, so he's the guy we're going to run till the wheels fall off...

i like the fact that we have two backs who can take a game over in an instant, but with mendenhall's receiving ability, he should definitely take over 3rd downs IMO...
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    to be quite honest i haven't seen enough of gary russell to put him up there as a number one guy, just based on what rashard did in college, should get him some touches...willie is a pro bowler, so he's the guy we're going to run till the wheels fall off...

i like the fact that we have two backs who can take a game over in an instant, but with mendenhall's receiving ability, he should definitely take over 3rd downs IMO...

Moore will probably be the 3rd down back this year.