Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Should Keep Marvel.

Hall of Famer

Steelers Should Keep Marvel.

Steelers should keep left tackle Smith
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reading between the lines, it looks like the Steelers want to keep tackle Marvel Smith.
    Smith isn't just any tackle. He's a left tackle, responsible for protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind side.

Tony Hills, the player drafted as Smith's potential replacement, missed half of his senior season with a fractured leg and is a bit of a project. Furthermore, Hills, a fourth-round draft pick, might end up being a right tackle.

Max Starks, another potential replacement for Smith, is a player who many NFL insiders believe is a serviceable backup and nothing more. If he were anything more, other teams would have made him a long-term offer, since there would be no compensation to the Steelers should he sign a deal.

The Steelers still lack depth at tackle -- Smith, Trai Essex and Starks (at least until he signs a long-term deal) all have one year left on their contracts, leaving the position uncertain for 2009.

Keeping Smith makes sense for the Steelers because he feels better physically than he has in years after undergoing back surgery. Smith, who turns 30 in August, should have several good seasons left. Left tackles have been known to play into their late 30s -- and well.

If the Steelers were planning on letting Smith go when he becomes an unrestricted free agent after next season, they probably would have drafted a tackle higher than the fourth round.

There is such a demand for tackles that teams reached for second-round projections Sam Baker and Duane Brown in the first round of the draft. A total of eight tackles were selected in the first round.

Since the Steelers don't negotiate contracts during the season, it would seem to be a priority for them to re-sign Smith this summer.

Smith's price tag will jump significantly after next season.

The Steelers probably could have signed guard Alan Faneca for $7 million a year (after all, they signed Starks for one year at $6.9 million), and he ended up making $8 million a year with the New York Jets.

That's nearly a 15 percent increase just for waiting 17 games.

Ironically, even though left tackle is considered the most important offensive line position, guards such as Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Eric Steinbach are the highest paid. That's because all of the good left tackles re-sign with their teams, which keeps the market price down, thereby allowing the top free-agent guards to make "tackle" money.

To give you an idea of how highly left tackles are valued, the New York Giants recently tore up David Diehl's old contract with three years remaining and gave him a six-year, $31 million extension.

If a good left tackle ever became a free agent, he could possibly command $10 million a year.

It's more economical for the Steelers to re-sign Smith than to pursue another team's free agent, who may be cheaper but not as good of a fit.

Re: Steelers Should Keep Marvel.

nky with all the news. you sure do save me a lot of time by posting here thanks!

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ford,

That's what got me hooked on the Trib. I started lurking and all these really informative articles would be posted by people like NKy and it was a buffet of 411. One stop shopping baby.... no need to go to any other site. At any rate, keep posting NKy.

Hall of Famer

Thanx fellas.... As everyone knows, this is a slow time of year... So we gotta do our best to keep the info, and football banter flowing....

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

John Harris' opinion of whether or not the Steelers should keep Marvel Smith is worth even less than Ron Zook's endorsement of Rashard Mendenhall. I'd rather read an article penned by 85 different people on this board than John Harris...he's generally awful.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    John Harris' opinion of whether or not the Steelers should keep Marvel Smith is worth even less than Ron Zook's endorsement of Rashard Mendenhall. I'd rather read an article penned by 85 different people on this board than John Harris...he's generally awful.
    "Note to self: Avoid posting John Harris articles.... Ruthless looks like a fit man from his posted pics, and I don't want to tick him off...".........

This will boil down to whether Smith can stay healthy. But, without drafting a future LT...the Steeler will be forced to sign Smith to a long term deal despite his shakey injury history...or start Starks And let me say for the record...I'm glad Smith is feeling better and all but for how long? How long will that back hold up?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    This will boil down to whether Smith can stay healthy. But, without drafting a future LT...the Steeler will be forced to either sign Smith to a long term deal despite his shakey injury history. And let me say for the record...I'm glad Smith is feeling better and all but for how long? How long will that back hold up?
    That is the crux of the issue and the dilemma.

We need to sign him before the season starts or we can't afford him.

But how do we know that he is really better (and that it will be long-lasting) -- despite how he "feels".

It is a risk either way.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

I got a chuckle out of his comment about signing Faneca for $7 million. Faneca didn't want to be here. He probably would have taken the money but it doesn't mean he would have been happy about it.

I think it would have been great if we could have kept him but he didn't want to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I got a chuckle out of his comment about signing Faneca for $7 million. Faneca didn't want to be here. He probably would have taken the money but it doesn't mean he would have been happy about it.

I think it would have been great if we could have kept him but he didn't want to be here.
    Oh if we showed him the money...he would have been in love with the Steelers again.