Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kemoeatu has chance to fill Fanecas' shoes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kemoeatu has chance to fill Fanecas' shoes.

Kemoeatu has the chance, size to fill Faneca's shoes
    Friday, May 23, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After skipping all workouts except for a required minicamp last spring, Alan Faneca is back working out with his teammates -- the New York Jets.

The seven-time Pro Bowl guard left a huge hole in the Steelers' offensive line when he signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Jets this year. Chris Kemoeatu is a large man trying to fill it and hopes to get back on the field to resume that job Tuesday when the Steelers resume practice.

"It's a big step, some big shoes to fill," said Kemoeatu, who did not practice during the team's three workouts this week because of a hamstring injury. "All I can do is come to work every day, watch film and practice to the best of my ability and just try to be me."

And who might that be? For one, Kemoeatu stands 6 feet 3 and weighs a listed 344 pounds, although he may tip the scale a tad over that. That's two inches shorter and at least 37 pounds more than Faneca.

"He's a big, powerful man," coach Mike Tomlin said.

For another, Kemoeatu has been around the past three seasons, ever since the Steelers drafted him on the fifth round in 2005 from Utah despite a few on-field temper tantrums he threw in college.

"I had some issues with it in college," Kemoeatu recounted yesterday. "I kicked some dude in the face, and the following week I did the same thing."

If he still has that kind of temper, it rarely surfaced on the field with the Steelers, but then he only has started two games in three years, none last year.

"I think I've really calmed down, plus I haven't been in there playing that much," said Kemoeatu. "That's helped me calm down as far as controlling myself mentally."

Tomlin does not mind if Kemoeatu uses his temper, as long as it does not get the better of him.

"You like guys who have the potential to fly off the handle within the rules of the game," Tomlin said. "It's a tough game, it's a tough-man's game. He's a tough man. He hasn't shown me that he's incapable of controlling that. If anything, he uses it as a weapon."

Said Kemoeatu: "I'm trying not to [lose control], but it's a physical game and sometimes you get carried away and you just react. I'm definitely at a different level now; if you do something like that, you're going to pay for it."

His coaches believe he is ready. Larry Zierlein, his line coach, thought he was ready last season when Kemoeatu almost beat out veteran Kendall Simmons to start at right guard.

"I'll tell you what: I have a lot of confidence in that guy," Zierlein said. "Aside from the physical thing, he's a big kid. He was ready to play last year. He was ready, and Kendall kind of won the thing, but it was close.'

Close decisions usually go to the incumbent, but there is none at left guard, where Kemoeatu will try to make people forgive the Steelers for letting Faneca get away.

Kemoeatu ran for the first time this week yesterday and practiced getting off the line of scrimmage. He hopes to return to the practice field Tuesday.

"He has a better understanding of what's going on maybe than you think," said Tomlin, noting Kemoeatu's otherwise quiet nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES -- Simmons spent Wednesday in Washington, lobbying congressmen for more funding to combat diabetes. Simmons has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He said he talked with congressmen in their offices and also before a large group. He has not practiced this week since having arthroscopic surgery on a shoulder last week. ... The Steelers' highlights film for 2007 premiered yesterday in the East Club Lounge at Heinz Field. The 23-minute recap features Ben Roethlisberger setting a record 32 touchdown passes as the team captured the AFC North Division championship with a 10-6 record.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Kemoeatu has chance to fill Fanecas' shoes.

Great read hope he's as good as it sounds

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    I have my doubts.... But I really think the key will be having ONE group working together throughout the tail-end of camp and not piecing it together after they break and head home....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    I have my doubts.... But I really think the key will be having ONE group working together throughout the tail-end of camp and not piecing it together after they break and head home....
    Amen to that give them some time to work together

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

I had a strange read on Kemo when I met him last year. I somehow found my way in to Willie Parker's Bday party on my trip to the Burgh to watch the Browns game, and Kemo seemed like a bitter young man. Yeah I was drunk, but he seemed to have some hate for Ben.

This could be because he wasn't starting, but it almost seemed like a jealousy issue.

I don't know about you, but if Im playing QB, I sure don't want my left guard bitter at me because I am more popular or make more money etc.

I could have read him wrong, and he might of had a few drinks in him, but to me it seemed like he had some friction with Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sd steel
    I had a strange read on Kemo when I met him last year. I somehow found my way in to Willie Parker's Bday party on my trip to the Burgh to watch the Browns game, and Kemo seemed like a bitter young man. Yeah I was drunk, but he seemed to have some hate for Ben.

This could be because he wasn't starting, but it almost seemed like a jealousy issue.

I don't know about you, but if Im playing QB, I sure don't want my left guard bitter at me because I am more popular or make more money etc.

I could have read him wrong, and he might of had a few drinks in him, but to me it seemed like he had some friction with Ben.
    I sure as hell hope he doesn't have friction with Ben.... But I can understand the "chip" from not being a starter... Maybe that will fuel the fire and make him better....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

I sure as hell hope he doesn't have friction with Ben.... But I can understand the "chip" from not being a starter... Maybe that will fuel the fire and make him better....
    Like I said, my read could be wrong, and maybe he just didn't like to have to deal with a drunken fan, He is obviously big enough and athletic enough to do the job, I just hope his heart is where it needs to be. (In his checkbook)

But from what I could tell with Kemo there was some animosity.

Legend

User Info Menu

So let me see, our two projected starting guards are now Kendall Simmons and a guy who couldn't beat KenDoll out last season. I sure hope the offensive line jells and plays well as a cohesive unit, but I have my doubts. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    So let me see, our two projected starting guards are now Kendall Simmons and a guy who couldn't beat KenDoll out last season. I sure hope the offensive line jells and plays well as a cohesive unit, but I have my doubts. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
    A good quick passing game and a strong 2 back running game could nullify the Oline problems we experienced last year......I hope.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    A good quick passing game and a strong 2 back running game could nullify the Oline problems we experienced last year......I hope.

I likewise hope. Zeirline and Arians better have put their noggins together this offseason. Putting together plays then enable Ben to get rid of the ball faster should help with this problem. Quick routes and passes out in the flat....