Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June cuts...

June cuts...

I believe it is June when teams start cut downs and I know it isn't as significant as it use to be but there is no football and I need some thought as to who we may cut after June 1. Also any pickups to be considered that may get cut from another team?

Possible cuts: Davenport, Willie Reid--others who may save us some significant $--Thoughts???

Hall of Famer

Re: June cuts...

I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!

I don't know about a money saver, but I don't see T. Carter making it out alive...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

As for June 1st cuts, I don't foresee the Steelers cutting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

I don't know why, but I likewise am a big Reid supporter... but if he doesn't "own" a position as the number PR or KR, he needs gone. He's had his share of chances.

June first cuts don't really exist like they did in the past.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

I don't know why, but I likewise am a big Reid supporter... but if he doesn't "own" a position as the number PR or KR, he needs gone. He's had his share of chances.
    I think this will be Reid's year. He is one of those players who fans want to hang out to dry, but other than not living up to the immense returner hype, what has he done wrong? When he has gotten opportunities he has made catches. Remember last training camp when the DBs were nailing the WRs. The one thing mentioned was that he was getting drilled and not dropping the ball. He is better value than our $1.4M per year #4 receiver and will make tougher catches and actually get additional yards after the catch. He is also the most logical candidate to play in the slot other than Hines. He has the quick, ability to run after the catch you need for that position.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

The Steelers don't really have anyone on the roster who becomes a good June 1 cut candidate because of the extra savings.

For example, cutting Davenport saves $1M, but because he is in the last year of his deal the savings is the same if we cut him today.

For Ty Carter, the difference in cutting him after June 1 is less than $100K. Reid is in the last year of his deal, so his savings are the same today and after June 1.

The ideal candidate for a June 1 cut is a player with maybe one or two years left on his deal after this year. You don't want a guy who had too high a SB, unless you feel like this is your must win year, because you would have to swallow a lot of dead cap space next year. It obviously also has to be a player who you consider replaceable by someone on your roster, otherwise you will have to go out and spend good money on a replacement.

Players on our roster who fit the money requirement are guys like BMac and Deshea. Both players would give us a little extra wiggle room financially and not kill us too badly next year. However, they don't meet the football criteria since both players are expected to be major contributors to our defensive backfield.

Before the injury Reid was explosive. Now, not so much. It seems he lost that
    burst after the injury. I would bet $$$ that Reid is gone. It seems Baker is
    emerging and we all know that that means.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

I think this will be Reid's year. He is one of those players who fans want to hang out to dry, but other than not living up to the immense returner hype, what has he done wrong? When he has gotten opportunities he has made catches. Remember last training camp when the DBs were nailing the WRs. The one thing mentioned was that he was getting drilled and not dropping the ball. He is better value than our $1.4M per year #4 receiver and will make tougher catches and actually get additional yards after the catch. He is also the most logical candidate to play in the slot other than Hines. He has the quick, ability to run after the catch you need for that position.
    Nate has shown to be ten times the WR that Reid has been so far.

Nate is an UDFA from tiny Tiffin that has 64 catches for 1,074 yards (16.8 yards per catch) and 9 touchdowns in the last 2 seasons.

Reid is a 3rd round pick from big-time FSU that has 4 catches for 54 yards (13.5 yards per catch) and 0 touchdowns in the last 2 seasons.

Nate is also a full year younger than Reid as well (Nate's D.O.B. 8-28-83 vs. Reid's 9-19-82)

I don't know why you are stuck on the $1.4 million dollar thing with Nate. By today's standards, that is not a lot of money at all. At least Nate has produced for the $1.4 mil. Reid hasn't shown jack squat for the approximately $600K he's owed this season.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware