Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: June cuts...

  1. #1
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    June cuts...

    I believe it is June when teams start cut downs and I know it isn't as significant as it use to be but there is no football and I need some thought as to who we may cut after June 1. Also any pickups to be considered that may get cut from another team?

    Possible cuts: Davenport, Willie Reid--others who may save us some significant $--Thoughts???

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

    ...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    I don't know about a money saver, but I don't see T. Carter making it out alive...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

    ...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!


    I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

    As for June 1st cuts, I don't foresee the Steelers cutting anyone.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

    ...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!


    I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

    As for June 1st cuts, I don't foresee the Steelers cutting anyone.

    I don't know why, but I likewise am a big Reid supporter... but if he doesn't "own" a position as the number PR or KR, he needs gone. He's had his share of chances.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    June first cuts don't really exist like they did in the past.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!


    28 Mason Rudolph QB OK St
    60 Malik Jefferson ILB Texas
    92 Terrel Edmunds SS VT
    148 Durham Smythe TE Notre Dame
    165 Andrew Brown DE UVA
    220 Reggie Bonnafon RB Louisville
    246 Chris Worley ILB OSU

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

    ...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!


    I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

    As for June 1st cuts, I don't foresee the Steelers cutting anyone.

    I don't know why, but I likewise am a big Reid supporter... but if he doesn't "own" a position as the number PR or KR, he needs gone. He's had his share of chances.
    I think this will be Reid's year. He is one of those players who fans want to hang out to dry, but other than not living up to the immense returner hype, what has he done wrong? When he has gotten opportunities he has made catches. Remember last training camp when the DBs were nailing the WRs. The one thing mentioned was that he was getting drilled and not dropping the ball. He is better value than our $1.4M per year #4 receiver and will make tougher catches and actually get additional yards after the catch. He is also the most logical candidate to play in the slot other than Hines. He has the quick, ability to run after the catch you need for that position.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    The Steelers don't really have anyone on the roster who becomes a good June 1 cut candidate because of the extra savings.

    For example, cutting Davenport saves $1M, but because he is in the last year of his deal the savings is the same if we cut him today.

    For Ty Carter, the difference in cutting him after June 1 is less than $100K. Reid is in the last year of his deal, so his savings are the same today and after June 1.

    The ideal candidate for a June 1 cut is a player with maybe one or two years left on his deal after this year. You don't want a guy who had too high a SB, unless you feel like this is your must win year, because you would have to swallow a lot of dead cap space next year. It obviously also has to be a player who you consider replaceable by someone on your roster, otherwise you will have to go out and spend good money on a replacement.

    Players on our roster who fit the money requirement are guys like BMac and Deshea. Both players would give us a little extra wiggle room financially and not kill us too badly next year. However, they don't meet the football criteria since both players are expected to be major contributors to our defensive backfield.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    Before the injury Reid was explosive. Now, not so much. It seems he lost that
    burst after the injury. I would bet $$$ that Reid is gone. It seems Baker is
    emerging and we all know that that means.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: June cuts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I thought the cuts started in August, once the pre-season games start. Then happen each week... I could be wrong, though.......

    ...Hopefully Reid is one of the first ones!


    I'm hoping that Willie Reid comes into training camp and shows us why we drafted him in the 3rd round...he is definitely on the bubble though and needs to make some big plays early on not only as a WR but also as a punt and kickoff returner.

    As for June 1st cuts, I don't foresee the Steelers cutting anyone.

    I don't know why, but I likewise am a big Reid supporter... but if he doesn't "own" a position as the number PR or KR, he needs gone. He's had his share of chances.
    I think this will be Reid's year. He is one of those players who fans want to hang out to dry, but other than not living up to the immense returner hype, what has he done wrong? When he has gotten opportunities he has made catches. Remember last training camp when the DBs were nailing the WRs. The one thing mentioned was that he was getting drilled and not dropping the ball. He is better value than our $1.4M per year #4 receiver and will make tougher catches and actually get additional yards after the catch. He is also the most logical candidate to play in the slot other than Hines. He has the quick, ability to run after the catch you need for that position.
    Nate has shown to be ten times the WR that Reid has been so far.

    Nate is an UDFA from tiny Tiffin that has 64 catches for 1,074 yards (16.8 yards per catch) and 9 touchdowns in the last 2 seasons.

    Reid is a 3rd round pick from big-time FSU that has 4 catches for 54 yards (13.5 yards per catch) and 0 touchdowns in the last 2 seasons.

    Nate is also a full year younger than Reid as well (Nate's D.O.B. 8-28-83 vs. Reid's 9-19-82)

    I don't know why you are stuck on the $1.4 million dollar thing with Nate. By today's standards, that is not a lot of money at all. At least Nate has produced for the $1.4 mil. Reid hasn't shown jack squat for the approximately $600K he's owed this season.
    Forced patriotism is an oxymoron.

    A government leader proclaiming that citizens have to stand proudly for the National Anthem or else they shouldn't be in the country sounds more like a mandated decree from a totalitarian dictator like Kim Jong Un rather than the leader of the Free World.

    Our ability to peacefully protest is a fundamental American right, and any attempt by our government to squash this freedom is what is truly dishonoring the liberty that our Star Spangled Banner symbolizes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •