Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

madflag

Re: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

hopefully dookie is gone .......

what about moore as a running back also guys if im not mistaken i do believe he had a 1000-1200 yadr season with vikes when the starter went down for them .....and i think he is also a better power back than dookie was( is it even right that we call dookie a powerback )

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    This will be Kirby Wilson's first year as running backs coach. His philosophy differs with Coach Hoak. Wilson demands that all RB's catch the ball running left or right and be able to block. This is especially true of the FB position. (Wilson made Larry Centers many $$$ with his coaching and Center's dedication.)

Mendenhall can catch the ball and you will find his blocking to be better than average. Parker, Davis, Russell, Davenport, Moore are not the total package Wilson likes in his running backs. This is the only reason they drafted Mendenhall to install the type of offense that can compete against the stacked defenses we will see this year.

Moore is slated for Special Teams with Willie and Mendenhall splitting time at HB and Davis at FB or Mendenhall in one back sets with Heath Miller at H-Back. Mendenhall will contribute greatly his first year in the NFL.

The last several years at the Steelers Traing Camp much attention was given to stretching, especially hamstrings, ankles calfs and shoulders. Most of the rookies coming into an NFL session are not aware of the importance of muscle flexibility and tend to overextend themselves. I wish our traing staff would pay more attention to detail with this. Sweed appears to have a great traing regimine and does a lot of stretching and balance training.

PS: Max Starks is a natural LT.
    Kirby Wilson was the running backs coach last year too. bad word Hoak's retirement coincided with Bill Cowher leaving the team. Tomlin hired Kirby Wilson to be a part of his first staff last year. There were not any changes to the coaching staff from year 1 to year 2 of the Tomlin era (even though some thought Zeirlein and Ligashesky might have been deserving of the chopping block after the performance of the o-line and special teams last year...no one ever seems to mention the other special teams coach Amos Jones when criticizing the special teams. Perhaps they should. It just ain't right to have white boys named Amos. ).
    You think they call him that in meetings? Or just B.W.?
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ROLROC
    good stuff chem.

are you suggesting starks may be LT and marvel is moved back to right?
    I think Starks was tagged because the Steelers think they can get Starks cheaper than Smith. Smith will get an offer but he knows what the market holds. He has a ring and he will be looking for his last big payday. I don't expect Smith to take a discount to stay here and he will test the market. If he has a good season expect him to walk. Enter Starks! That is why they threw that ridiculous money at him. Starks is younger & will come cheaper than Smith. Starks is the insurance incase Smith leaves and the Steelers can't get a LT in next years draft. We know how the Steelers operate. It is very difficult to get that big 3rd contract as a 30 plus vet here when your game has started to decline.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    The Dumptruck experiment saw more production than the Staley mess, but I see him being shown the door. This team seems to be moving towards a dynasty building mode. IMO, we're a couple of linemen and a CB away from where we need to be personnel wise. RB is loaded and I couldn't be more pleased in how our prospects look at both WR and TE positions. The RB squad could really inflict some punishment this year. I hope everybody gets minutes and we keep fresh legs on the turf. My only concern is that FWP is a rhythm runner and being shifted in/out of the lineup might nullify his home-run hitting ability. I just hope Arians finally sees that this cat's alley is outside the tackles.
    When you say linemen, are you meaning both sides? Dynasty mode requires guys be here a while. Not saying our current DL guys ready to hang em up just yet, but it would be nice to have a solid rotation like the NY Giants had at least...

This team's getting younger with each draft and our last couple of first rounders have really been great for us... Heath, Ben, Troy, Santonio.... hopefully we'll see Timmons live up to the hype. Nate is young, our LB corps is really looking good, with Harrison being a young 30... FWP is just starting to peak, Spaeth looks like a great #2 TE... I think if we have more pressure on the qb, this should yield Bmac and Ike some extra picks this year..... yes, when I say linemen... I mean both sides of the ball. DL we need some big bodies that just fill gap space. The OL needs to start getting younger and becoming more unified.
    AS--Agree with 99% of what you say, but Nate is history after this season. He is an inconsistent #4 receiver getting paid $1.4M and he can't contribute on Special Teams despite his reputed unnatural athletic ability. Reid or Baker are all better value for a #4.

I hope so. As you may have a remembered from Trib... I was a big basher of Ced and Nate. I think that the paycheck that Nate garnishes he should produce more consistently or begone with him. I think he upped his stock last year with some above average performances. I think that there are other options out there and we need to give them a chance this camp and subsequent preseason. We already know what Nate is capable of, let us see who else is out there more viable. With the Sweed pic, we already get an instant upgrade and I think this kid will suprise a lot of people this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Asian--do know that Nate had less catches and a lesser per catch average last year than the year before? Not exactly taking it to the next level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The Dumptruck experiment saw more production than the Staley mess, but I see him being shown the door. This team seems to be moving towards a dynasty building mode. IMO, we're a couple of linemen and a CB away from where we need to be personnel wise. RB is loaded and I couldn't be more pleased in how our prospects look at both WR and TE positions. The RB squad could really inflict some punishment this year. I hope everybody gets minutes and we keep fresh legs on the turf. My only concern is that FWP is a rhythm runner and being shifted in/out of the lineup might nullify his home-run hitting ability. I just hope Arians finally sees that this cat's alley is outside the tackles.
    While it became very popular to dump on "Sweatsuit" Staley, let us remember one thing. Staley earned the starting job his first season and was having a great year before he got hurt.

As for Dookie, don't let his impressive YPC fool you. He is simply the latest in a long line of Steelers backups to look like a stud in limited opportunities. For example

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala:

2000 - 7.1 YPC - only 1 start
    2001 - 3.8 YPC - 5 starts
    2002 - 5.0 YPC - 0 starts

Richard Huntley

1998 - 4.4 YPC
    1999 - 6.1 YPC
    2000 - 4.7 YPC

3 combined starts.

Najeh Davenport 2007

games he doesn't start - 4.9 YPC
    games he does start - 4.2 YPC (I included St. Louis as a start, even though he entered in the first Q)

With Duce, it took an injury to take him out of the lineup, after which he couldn't play. For Najeh, it took an injury to show us that he does not belong in the lineup, because he can't play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    While it became very popular to dump on "Sweatsuit" Staley, let us remember one thing. Staley earned the starting job his first season and was having a great year before he got hurt.

As for Dookie, don't let his impressive YPC fool you. He is simply the latest in a long line of Steelers backups to look like a stud in limited opportunities. For example

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala:

Richard Huntley

1998 - 4.4 YPC
    1999 - 6.1 YPC
    2000 - 4.7 YPC

3 combined starts.

Najeh Davenport 2007

games he does start - 4.2 YPC (I included St. Louis as a start, even though he entered in the first Q)

With Duce, it took an injury to take him out of the lineup, after which he couldn't play. For Najeh, it took an injury to show us that he does not belong in the lineup, because he can't play.

Great stats, TO.... I'm just glad we'll not have that problem this year. We have some bonafide studs in the backfield this year and I think our 3-headed monster is going to devours some defenses this year. What a problem to have, huh?

Legend

User Info Menu

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala:

Richard Huntley

1998 - 4.4 YPC
    1999 - 6.1 YPC
    2000 - 4.7 YPC

3 combined starts.

Najeh Davenport 2007

Great stats, TO.... I'm just glad we'll not have that problem this year. We have some bonafide studs in the backfield this year and I think our 3-headed monster is going to devours some defenses this year. What a problem to have, huh?
    Agree 100%

We have gone from a situation where Najeh was our second best back to one where he might not be in the top 4.

As for the stats, it was something that I had always felt was true. Fu and Huntley always had great numbers as backups, but never produced elsewhere. I found the numbers and they proved me right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agree 100%

We have gone from a situation where Najeh was our second best back to one where he might not be in the top 4.

As for the stats, it was something that I had always felt was true. Fu and Huntley always had great numbers as backups, but never produced elsewhere. I found the numbers and they proved me right.

It has been the case for most of our players that have tried to look for greener pastures. With the exception of Vrabel and Plax.... most have just faded away. Goes to show you that it was the system that augmented the talent.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sorry to dig this back up, but I've been away & now my post counts must be nurtured

Najeh is gone...underwhelming performance, too big of a cap number too much young talent will doom him. Unlike most teams, we have a wealth of talent at RB & it needs to be exploited (along with the WRs).

As for the "stable"...FWP goes back to A Number One, with Moore, Mendenhall & Russell backing up in that order short-term - except in the anticipated "pony" backfield. Moore starts out the year as the 3rd-down option with RM getting some reps. Mendenhall is the goal-line back with Russell backing up. Davis plays FB & STs, & I expect to see Russell on them too. I will say that this is probably the beginning of the end for FWP...Mendenhall is just too good to sit for long. If he's not starting by the start of his 3rd season, then there's something wrong.

That said...here's hoping for dual 1000 yard rushers!

P.S. - Does anyone have any film of RM in bad weather games? We need a mudder!
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...