Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    The Dumptruck experiment saw more production than the Staley mess, but I see him being shown the door. This team seems to be moving towards a dynasty building mode. IMO, we're a couple of linemen and a CB away from where we need to be personnel wise. RB is loaded and I couldn't be more pleased in how our prospects look at both WR and TE positions. The RB squad could really inflict some punishment this year. I hope everybody gets minutes and we keep fresh legs on the turf. My only concern is that FWP is a rhythm runner and being shifted in/out of the lineup might nullify his home-run hitting ability. I just hope Arians finally sees that this cat's alley is outside the tackles.
    When you say linemen, are you meaning both sides? Dynasty mode requires guys be here a while. Not saying our current DL guys ready to hang em up just yet, but it would be nice to have a solid rotation like the NY Giants had at least...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    The Dumptruck experiment saw more production than the Staley mess, but I see him being shown the door. This team seems to be moving towards a dynasty building mode. IMO, we're a couple of linemen and a CB away from where we need to be personnel wise. RB is loaded and I couldn't be more pleased in how our prospects look at both WR and TE positions. The RB squad could really inflict some punishment this year. I hope everybody gets minutes and we keep fresh legs on the turf. My only concern is that FWP is a rhythm runner and being shifted in/out of the lineup might nullify his home-run hitting ability. I just hope Arians finally sees that this cat's alley is outside the tackles.
    When you say linemen, are you meaning both sides? Dynasty mode requires guys be here a while. Not saying our current DL guys ready to hang em up just yet, but it would be nice to have a solid rotation like the NY Giants had at least...

This team's getting younger with each draft and our last couple of first rounders have really been great for us... Heath, Ben, Troy, Santonio.... hopefully we'll see Timmons live up to the hype. Nate is young, our LB corps is really looking good, with Harrison being a young 30... FWP is just starting to peak, Spaeth looks like a great #2 TE... I think if we have more pressure on the qb, this should yield Bmac and Ike some extra picks this year..... yes, when I say linemen... I mean both sides of the ball. DL we need some big bodies that just fill gap space. The OL needs to start getting younger and becoming more unified.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek

This team's getting younger with each draft and our last couple of first rounders have really been great for us... Heath, Ben, Troy, Santonio.... hopefully we'll see Timmons live up to the hype. Nate is young, our LB corps is really looking good, with Harrison being a young 30... FWP is just starting to peak, Spaeth looks like a great #2 TE... I think if we have more pressure on the qb, this should yield Bmac and Ike some extra picks this year..... yes, when I say linemen... I mean both sides of the ball. DL we need some big bodies that just fill gap space. The OL needs to start getting younger and becoming more unified.
    AS--Agree with 99% of what you say, but Nate is history after this season. He is an inconsistent #4 receiver getting paid $1.4M and he can't contribute on Special Teams despite his reputed unnatural athletic ability. Reid or Baker are all better value for a #4.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Very sound reasoning.... I just think we will want some sort of "dependable" back at some point.... I like both Davis and Russell, but personally don't think both will make the team. I hope I'm wrong on this line of thinking...
    So you think Davis gets cut. Who will our FB be? I sure as hell hope it ain't Davenport. The fact that Davis is the only FB on the roster should be a good indication that he will make the team and shouldn't be considered to even be in a competition for a spot IMO. FB - Davis, RB Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russel.

Also RB is the easiest position to contribute to as a rookie. Because it is based on instincts and the ability to run. Moore is a vet Parker is a Vet Davis has been around for 5 years...so he knows how the systems works. I don't see the need to keep Davenport.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's a thought, one of the TEs plays FB when we are in formations with a FB. I could see them putting Heath in this role to get him in motion to force the defense to move to cover him.

If you look at some of the 2 back options you could have Mendenhall block for FWP and Russell block for Mendenhall.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Here's a thought, one of the TEs plays FB when we are in formations with a FB. I could see them putting Heath in this role to get him in motion to force the defense to move to cover him.

If you look at some of the 2 back options you could have Mendenhall block for FWP and Russell block for Mendenhall.
    I like these ideas but I still think the Steelers will keep a full time
    FB on the squad.
    Trolls are people too.

Chemsteel

This will be Kirby Wilson's first year as running backs coach. His philosophy differs with Coach Hoak. Wilson demands that all RB's catch the ball running left or right and be able to block. This is especially true of the FB position. (Wilson made Larry Centers many $$$ with his coaching and Center's dedication.)

Mendenhall can catch the ball and you will find his blocking to be better than average. Parker, Davis, Russell, Davenport, Moore are not the total package Wilson likes in his running backs. This is the only reason they drafted Mendenhall to install the type of offense that can compete against the stacked defenses we will see this year.

Moore is slated for Special Teams with Willie and Mendenhall splitting time at HB and Davis at FB or Mendenhall in one back sets with Heath Miller at H-Back. Mendenhall will contribute greatly his first year in the NFL.

The last several years at the Steelers Traing Camp much attention was given to stretching, especially hamstrings, ankles calfs and shoulders. Most of the rookies coming into an NFL session are not aware of the importance of muscle flexibility and tend to overextend themselves. I wish our traing staff would pay more attention to detail with this. Sweed appears to have a great traing regimine and does a lot of stretching and balance training.

PS: Max Starks is a natural LT.

Backup

User Info Menu

good stuff chem.

are you suggesting starks may be LT and marvel is moved back to right?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel
    This will be Kirby Wilson's first year as running backs coach. His philosophy differs with Coach Hoak. Wilson demands that all RB's catch the ball running left or right and be able to block. This is especially true of the FB position. (Wilson made Larry Centers many $$$ with his coaching and Center's dedication.)

Mendenhall can catch the ball and you will find his blocking to be better than average. Parker, Davis, Russell, Davenport, Moore are not the total package Wilson likes in his running backs. This is the only reason they drafted Mendenhall to install the type of offense that can compete against the stacked defenses we will see this year.

Moore is slated for Special Teams with Willie and Mendenhall splitting time at HB and Davis at FB or Mendenhall in one back sets with Heath Miller at H-Back. Mendenhall will contribute greatly his first year in the NFL.

The last several years at the Steelers Traing Camp much attention was given to stretching, especially hamstrings, ankles calfs and shoulders. Most of the rookies coming into an NFL session are not aware of the importance of muscle flexibility and tend to overextend themselves. I wish our traing staff would pay more attention to detail with this. Sweed appears to have a great traing regimine and does a lot of stretching and balance training.

I agree that Mendenhall will (and should) make meaningful contributions this year.

Do you think we will see many instances of Parker and Mendenhall in the same backfield?
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsteel

Kirby Wilson was the running backs coach last year too. Dick Hoak's retirement coincided with Bill Cowher leaving the team. Tomlin hired Kirby Wilson to be a part of his first staff last year. There were not any changes to the coaching staff from year 1 to year 2 of the Tomlin era (even though some thought Zeirlein and Ligashesky might have been deserving of the chopping block after the performance of the o-line and special teams last year...no one ever seems to mention the other special teams coach Amos Jones when criticizing the special teams. Perhaps they should. It just ain't right to have white boys named Amos. ).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.