Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

From Dale Lolley's blog. An interesting read. He seems very high on both Mewelde Moore and board favorite Gary Russell.

Thursday, May 22, 2008
    Random thoughts

I talked at length to running back Mewelde Moore this week at OTAs and came away impressed with the young man.

While many free agent running backs the Steelers have signed in the past come in looking to carry the ball as much as possible or even win a starting job, Moore who was signed away from Minnesota seems to be more than happy to fill his niche with the Steelers.

What will that niche be?

Returning punts and possibly kickoffs and being the third-down back.

Those were both jobs Najeh Davenport filled in the past.

Gary Russell, another young back the team has, looks awfully good running with the ball. His cuts are sharp and he has a nice burst.

Russell saw limited playing time as a rookie in 2007, but the team liked him enough that it didn't dare try to put him on the practice squad.

With the addition of Moore and first-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers have a very crowded backfield.

A national writer took the Steelers to task recently after Mendenhall suffered a strained hamstring during mini-camp, citing that and 2007 No. 1 pick Lawrence Timmons' groin injury as evidence that the Steelers are pushing their young players too hard in these drills.

Maybe he should take a look at Cleveland instead.

Cornerback Daven Holly blew his knee out in the Browns' workouts, adding just another injury to a long list of them that have happened to Cleveland players in that team's workouts.

And after trading Leigh Bodden in the deal to get Shaun Rogers from Detroit, cornerback was one spot the Browns couldn't afford to lose anyone.

Cleveland's run defense may be better this season, but the pass defense promises to be awful.
    http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....-thoughts.html

Re: Thoughts on RBs from OTAs...

Having a crowded backfield is a good thing.Especially considering that last season we were dreadfully thin at that position.

Hall of Famer

I see Moore as a punt returner primarily.....

... IMO, either Russell or Davis will not make the squad. As the article stated, it's a full house.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I see Moore as a punt returner primarily.....

... IMO, either Russell or Davis will not make the squad. As the article stated, it's a full house.
    I agree that Moore will primarily see his action on punt returns, although I'd imagine that we should see a lot of him on third downs, especially early in the season.

As for the last RB spot, I think that both Davis and Russell make the team, and that Davenport will be the one that gets cut.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    As for the last RB spot, I think that both Davis and Russell make the team, and that Davenport will be the one that gets cut.
    ... Even after his "relative" success last year?... For two "basically unproven" backs?

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    ... Even after his "relative" success last year?... For two "basically unproven" backs?
    Basically, I think that Mendenhall, Russell and Moore will fill the roles that Davenport filled, and that they'll do a better job.

I think that Moore will replace what Davenport did as a third down back and as a returner, and that he'll do a much better job. Davenport has never had the power that you'd expect from somebody with his size, and I think that Mendenhall and/or Russell will be able to fill his role as the power back (or at least as the more powerful back). And I'd also imagine that Mendenhall serves as the compliment to FWP.

I know that Mendenhall and Russell are unproven at the NFL level. But I think that you have to have faith that a first round RB will be able to contribute, and I think that Russell has a lot more upside than Davenport. When FWP went down, Davenport ran over the Rams (as did most teams), but was absolutely abysmal against the Ravens and Jags. I think he proved that he can't carry the load as a feature back. With him just being a complimentary player, I'd go with the younger, cheaper guys with the higher upside.

Hall of Famer

I basically agree with your line of thinking, but am not too sure about going all that direction without a bit more proven ability..... Yes, I personally like both Russell and Davis. I don't know enough about Moore to speculate, but I would think we need some sort of "dependency" to fall back on, other than Parker... Guess we'll see soon enough...

I've said all along... Davenport is fighting with Davis for a job... he's already done at RB...

Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell. That's OUTSTANDING. And this coming from a guy who is a self-proclaimed RB expert.

Davenport vs Davis might be the best camp battle of 'em all.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Parker
    Mendenhall
    Moore
    Russell
    Davis

Hasta la vista, Dookie.

Hall of Famer

But Davis got more carries/PT last season than Russell..... Why, if Russell is the better back?