Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Question about the dish

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: OT: Question about the dish

NKY is correct you need to have 'bigger' dish to receive the signals...check out ebay they should have the dish minus receiver for sale.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have an extra one that's not being used anymore at my farm shop. You can have it for nothing if you don't mind paying for the shipping. I can ship it at cost for you since I own a few UPS stores (that's like 40% off). Let me know and I'll get the lift up there and pull it down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    I have an extra one that's not being used anymore at my farm shop. You can have it for nothing if you don't mind paying for the shipping. I can ship it at cost for you since I own a few UPS stores (that's like 40% off). Let me know and I'll get the lift up there and pull it down.
    Hold that thought...I need to confirm everything first, but that is one hell of an offer, and pending any unforeseen circumstances I will gladly accept!

Thank you!

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    stlrz, I believe they all have thier own "encoding" within, but am not sure. You can simply call and ask them for that matter.... BTW, I suggest going to a 5-LNB dish and getting a HD receiver.... It's worth it!.... If you have any serious questions, PM me, or better yet, give me a call and I'll give you all the info I know....
    Thanks for that bit of info. The dish on my mom's house is 5 or 6 years old...probably not HD compatible. As for an HD box...there is no doubt on that my friend...no doubt. I may have to take a look on eBay for a dish that meets the criteria you mentioned.

I'll check into it and let you know if I need any more info.

In case anyone's wondering, I can't buy a dish from directv or have it installed by directv because I'm not signing up for service.

Shhhhhh.... :P

Or you can take a look at someones house? Seriously, what about Craigslist? Here's a link to Green Bay since I don't know your exact location.

[url="http://greenbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=dish"]http://greenbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=dish[/url]

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by anothersteelerfan
    I don't know about Dish working with DirecTV, but I do know if you want an HD/DVR receiver and your Mom had the dish with an old receiver it probably won't work. Because when we updated our receivers we had to have a new dish installed. I can't tell you the reason just that when we called about the new receivers they told us our dish wasn't compatible. I also remember several years ago when they started offering local channels, we ordered them and they weren't working and when we told them we still didn't have them, they said that was due to the dish as well and they brought and installed a new one.

We've never had to pay for any equipment, so to be safe I'd go with DirecTV's dish. Just mention dish network anytime you want anything and they'll pretty much offer you the moon.
    Thanks for the info. I have to get (and install) the dish on my own. I'm splitting service with my buddy. Meaning the extra box he's getting for his "den" will actually be 15 miles away in my living room.

You will have to let us know if this works. My mom, brother and myself all have directv and live about 20 miles from each other. We all spend about $70 to $80 a month. It would sure be nice to split the bill 3 ways but I would have to think Directv has some sort of protection against this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    I don't know about Dish working with DirecTV, but I do know if you want an HD/DVR receiver and your Mom had the dish with an old receiver it probably won't work. Because when we updated our receivers we had to have a new dish installed. I can't tell you the reason just that when we called about the new receivers they told us our dish wasn't compatible. I also remember several years ago when they started offering local channels, we ordered them and they weren't working and when we told them we still didn't have them, they said that was due to the dish as well and they brought and installed a new one.

We've never had to pay for any equipment, so to be safe I'd go with DirecTV's dish. Just mention dish network anytime you want anything and they'll pretty much offer you the moon.
    Thanks for the info. I have to get (and install) the dish on my own. I'm splitting service with my buddy. Meaning the extra box he's getting for his "den" will actually be 15 miles away in my living room.

You will have to let us know if this works. My mom, brother and myself all have directv and live about 20 miles from each other. We all spend about $70 to $80 a month. It would sure be nice to split the bill 3 ways but I would have to think Directv has some sort of protection against this.
    LVG it will work as the Birds in the sky use spot beaming to figure out if anyone is trying to do them dirty. I think 20 miles apart would be just fine. When you talk to DTV just tell them the receivers are located at one house in the family room, living room, and bedroom.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy

LVG it will work as the Birds in the sky use spot beaming to figure out if anyone is trying to do them dirty. I think 20 miles apart would be just fine. When you talk to DTV just tell them the receivers are located at one house in the family room, living room, and bedroom.
    The thing I don't understand is the access card, how's that going to work?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm assuming they have receivers and access cards. To go through the motions, my brother in law and cousin do this. 2 of us canceled our programming and then my cousin said he bought 2 receivers. Once you say that DTV programs the smart card, it has a few bytes of storage space in it that allows DTV or a hacker to "marry" the smart card to a physical address and receiver if need be.

Legend

User Info Menu

LVG - There are guys I work with doing this now. The guy with the subscription gets a box for the spare room, gives it to the other guy who has a dish installed, he hooks it up himself and it works. Then the one guy pays the other guy half.