Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Question about the dish

Legend

User Info Menu

OT: Question about the dish

So I'm going to look at a place to rent tomorrow (a house) and the landlord said I could get the dish if I want. A coworker has directv and said he'd split it with me. What that means is he gets an additional box, I hook it up at my place and pay him half each month. All I have to do is get a dish and get it installed. We're already talking about going halves on Sunday Ticket which means no more games at BW3 for this guy

Anyway, my question is about the dish itself. Is there a difference between a directv and dish network dish? Not the boxes...just the dish. My mom had dish network at one time and if there is no difference I'll take the dish off her house and have it installed at my place. I can't imagine there is a difference between them, but would like to hear it from someone who knows for sure. So who's the board expert?

Thanks in advance!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: OT: Question about the dish

stlrz, I believe they all have thier own "encoding" within, but am not sure. You can simply call and ask them for that matter.... BTW, I suggest going to a 5-LNB dish and getting a HD receiver.... It's worth it!.... If you have any serious questions, PM me, or better yet, give me a call and I'll give you all the info I know....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    So I'm going to look at a place to rent tomorrow (a house) and the landlord said I could get the dish if I want. A coworker has directv and said he'd split it with me. What that means is he gets an additional box, I hook it up at my place and pay him half each month. All I have to do is get a dish and get it installed. We're already talking about going halves on Sunday Ticket which means no more games at BW3 for this guy

Anyway, my question is about the dish itself. Is there a difference between a directv and dish network dish? Not the boxes...just the dish. My mom had dish network at one time and if there is no difference I'll take the dish off her house and have it installed at my place. I can't imagine there is a difference between them, but would like to hear it from someone who knows for sure. So who's the board expert?

Thanks in advance!
    There is no difference in the dish and LNB, the sole purpose is to capture any signals that are being broadcasted. What allows you to get your DTV is the decoder which is the box + smart card. You should be solid.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    stlrz, I believe they all have thier own "encoding" within, but am not sure. You can simply call and ask them for that matter.... BTW, I suggest going to a 5-LNB dish and getting a HD receiver.... It's worth it!.... If you have any serious questions, PM me, or better yet, give me a call and I'll give you all the info I know....
    Thanks for that bit of info. The dish on my mom's house is 5 or 6 years old...probably not HD compatible. As for an HD box...there is no doubt on that my friend...no doubt. I may have to take a look on eBay for a dish that meets the criteria you mentioned.

I'll check into it and let you know if I need any more info.

In case anyone's wondering, I can't buy a dish from directv or have it installed by directv because I'm not signing up for service.

Shhhhhh.... :P

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Thanks in advance!
    There is no difference in the dish and LNB, the sole purpose is to capture any signals that are being broadcasted. What allows you to get your DTV is the decoder which is the box + smart card. You should be solid.
    If I have an HD box does the dish matter? Meaning my mom's 5 or 6 year old dish?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

....But if he is gonna go HD at any point down the road, if not now, he'll need a higher LNB dish..... Directv is using the 5-LNB .... If he's gonna hafta buy one, don't you think he should get one for needs costanza?...... Hell, I'm just thinkin' out loud for possible scenerios.... What's your take on it?....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...You can have whatever box, but you have to have a dish capable of receiving HD signals...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    ...You can have whatever box, but you have to have a dish capable of receiving HD signals...
    So HD box without HD dish = no HD picture. Got it.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I don't know about Dish working with DirecTV, but I do know if you want an HD/DVR receiver and your Mom had the dish with an old receiver it probably won't work. Because when we updated our receivers we had to have a new dish installed. I can't tell you the reason just that when we called about the new receivers they told us our dish wasn't compatible. I also remember several years ago when they started offering local channels, we ordered them and they weren't working and when we told them we still didn't have them, they said that was due to the dish as well and they brought and installed a new one.

We've never had to pay for any equipment, so to be safe I'd go with DirecTV's dish. Just mention dish network anytime you want anything and they'll pretty much offer you the moon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anothersteelerfan
    I don't know about Dish working with DirecTV, but I do know if you want an HD/DVR receiver and your Mom had the dish with an old receiver it probably won't work. Because when we updated our receivers we had to have a new dish installed. I can't tell you the reason just that when we called about the new receivers they told us our dish wasn't compatible. I also remember several years ago when they started offering local channels, we ordered them and they weren't working and when we told them we still didn't have them, they said that was due to the dish as well and they brought and installed a new one.

We've never had to pay for any equipment, so to be safe I'd go with DirecTV's dish. Just mention dish network anytime you want anything and they'll pretty much offer you the moon.
    Thanks for the info. I have to get (and install) the dish on my own. I'm splitting service with my buddy. Meaning the extra box he's getting for his "den" will actually be 15 miles away in my living room.