Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O Line

Re: O Line

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    I expect Kemo to start, and won't be surprised if he plays well.

Smith
    Kemo
    Hartwig
    Simmons
    Starks

IMO this line will be average but at least they have some depth.
    I will be utterly shocked if Colon doesn't start in place of Kemo.

This will probably be the most interesting battle in camp, because what happens at one position could be factor in what happens at another. For example, if Colon loses the RT job, he becomes a candidate at both guard positions.

I think that it is safe to say that LT and C are currently etched in stone. However, the other three positions should give us some training camp drama.

LG - Everybody is talking Kemo, but a couple of other things to note. First off, isn't a 344 pound mauler more suited to play RG than LG? Also, we know that Mahan is not a center, but he has a big ticket and is trying out at his natural position now. Is he a candidate? Last year, one of the reasons given when Colon got the starting RT job is that they wanted to field the best 5 linemen. Does that mean that they will try to find a spot for Colon if Starks beats him out?

Candidates: Kemo, Mahan, Colon

Pick: Mahan (kind of shocking huh?)

RG - Now that Simmons is recovering from shoulder surgery, does that allow someone else to step in and grab the spot? Whoever loses out in the LG battle will be given a shot here to knock off the high priced incumbent, and I think this might be the year Simmons sees the bench - even though I have almost had him in ink at this spot all off season. However, there is no accounting for injuries and I think that Simmons' shoulder is his ticket to the bench.

Candidates: Simmons, Colon, Kemo

Pick: Kemo

RT - Well, since you already know that I have Colon being showcased at guard, obviously you know who I pick to start at RT. If you want I can give you 6.9 milliom reasons why. The main problem for Colon is that he will spend too much time battling Starks at RT that he really won't get a fair enough chance to compete at guard. Look for him to be a factor if either Mahan or Kemo stumble.

Candidates: Starks, Colon

Pick: Starks

My final starting O line:

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Kemo
    RT - Starks

IMO Mahan has the makings of a decent back-up, I truly hope he doesn't start.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    This will probably be the most interesting battle in camp, because what happens at one position could be factor in what happens at another. For example, if Colon loses the RT job, he becomes a candidate at both guard positions.

I think that it is safe to say that LT and C are currently etched in stone. However, the other three positions should give us some training camp drama.

LG - Everybody is talking Kemo, but a couple of other things to note. First off, isn't a 344 pound mauler more suited to play RG than LG? Also, we know that Mahan is not a center, but he has a big ticket and is trying out at his natural position now. Is he a candidate? Last year, one of the reasons given when Colon got the starting RT job is that they wanted to field the best 5 linemen. Does that mean that they will try to find a spot for Colon if Starks beats him out?

RG - Now that Simmons is recovering from shoulder surgery, does that allow someone else to step in and grab the spot? Whoever loses out in the LG battle will be given a shot here to knock off the high priced incumbent, and I think this might be the year Simmons sees the bench - even though I have almost had him in ink at this spot all off season. However, there is no accounting for injuries and I think that Simmons' shoulder is his ticket to the bench.

RT - Well, since you already know that I have Colon being showcased at guard, obviously you know who I pick to start at RT. If you want I can give you 6.9 milliom reasons why. The main problem for Colon is that he will spend too much time battling Starks at RT that he really won't get a fair enough chance to compete at guard. Look for him to be a factor if either Mahan or Kemo stumble.

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Kemo
    RT - Starks
    Replace Kemo with Colon and I could see a starting 5 of:

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Colon
    RT - Starks
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Kemo
    RT - Starks
    Replace Kemo with Colon and I could see a starting 5 of:

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Colon
    RT - Starks
    I actually had originally typed in Colon, but went back and changed it. My reasoning is that Colon will be spending the bulk of the summer battling for the RT job. He will be behind Kemo by the time he enters the competition at RG.

Remember, Kemo almost won this spot last year, while Colon has never played there and has limited exposure.

My comparison here is to what happened to Starks last year. The coaches had him working all summer at LT. He had very few reps at RT. By the time they decided to choose a starting lineup, they couldn't start Starks because they had very little to go on with him at RT. Remember too that all three coaches were either new to the team (Tomlin, Zierlein) or to dealing with the line (Arians).

In the end, I think that Simmons' decision to try to go without surgery, then forcing it too late, will cost him his starting position. IMO he will never get it back.

LT - Smith
    LG - Mahan
    C - Hartwig
    RG - Kemo
    RT - Starks
    If this actually comes to fruition...I will slowly disembowel myself with Ray Lewis's knife.
    First, Mahan? Seriously, that won't happen...even though that is his natural position...
    it doesn't change the fact that he sucks. Kemo over Simmons? Ehh maybe...that one
    is more believeable.

I just seen your correction. Problem...Colon is actually pretty nimble.
    I think he could easily handle the pulling duties of the LG position.

Hall of Famer

The nice thing about any of these line configurations is that we probably will have an "OK to Adequate" line. Not great. Not sucky. Now the nice part -- our backups should be equally OK to adequate -- i.e. there isn't much of a drop off in case of injury.

For the record, I think the line will be Smith Kemo Hartwig Simmons Starks.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Kipper

Learning a new system likely created some confusion, but I think alot of the problems will be eleviated by 2 things...

1. Mahan not playing at Center
    2. Mendenhall

Mahan was terrible. We couldn't run up the middle at all. We had something like a crappy 2.? Yards Per Rush average up the middle. Most of the pressure that Ben was getting was from up the middle. If Mahan wasn't getting knocked on his ass at initial contact, Faneca was being forced to abandon his duty to help out Mahan and still someone was leaking through. Just be removing Mahan the line should be better. One of the worst centers this team has ever seen.

Mendenhall gives the Steelers another running threat. He can hit the holes faster with more power than Parker which was a problem with a Parker. FWP dances instead of hitting holes. Mendenhall also makes cuts quicker and is said to see holes develop faster. FWP if he isn't dancing he goes right into a wall which I've never quite understood. Little fast backs like FWP usually find the smallest holes but FWP doesn't do this as well as one would think.

There's gonna be sacks of Big Ben just by an account of him holding onto the ball too long. It's part of Ben's game that we all have to get used to. He makes big plays holding onto the ball longer than normal and he gets sacked because of this, but I think in general the line's performance should be better than last year

madflag

well being here in florida and watching some bucs games mahan sucks at guard almost as bad as he did at center

i think i would like to see our line be

smith colon hartwig kemo starks