Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O Line

steeld95

O Line

I was disapointed last year and not sure what to expect from them this year. just like most, but I do have hope though that they struggled last year due to learning a system. Hopefully they will show good improvement in their second year in the system. If they come though, we can have a very big year.

Hall of Famer

Re: O Line

I think most (if not all ) of us were disappointed last season with the O-line play.... Yes, I also think there will be a "certain amount" of good coming from another year together, but I really don't think it was as much the system as the players.... I do think that Hartwig is a step up from Mahan at center and will plug alot that he (Mahan) allowed to get thru... Let Mahan compete at guard, but whatever you do, without a doubt, get the line set early in camp and allow them to work together for a bit..... Do you remember last season? They didn't know who the starters were going to be when they broke camp in Latrobe, and it was almost a "last minute" throw-together.... "Familiarity breeds understanding and comformity" when talking about an offensive line... That did not happen last season.

I am hoping either Kemo or Colon steps up and impresses at the LG position.

I remember someone posting bad stuff written about Mahan on a Tmapa Bay forum
    when we first picked him up. I found this little gem.
    http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=117989
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by njdshady2001
    Sean Mahan? I REALLY hope Joseph beats him out....

Dear lord I hope so. I would imagine Joseph and A. Smith would start.

Another AS masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s

Quote:
    Quote:

I think that it is safe to say - simply based on my football message board experience - that there is at least a 75% chance that the guy (or girl) who posted this has no idea what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s

Quote:
    Quote:

I think that it is safe to say - simply based on my football message board experience - that there is at least a 75% chance that the guy (or girl) who posted this has no idea what they are talking about.
    You are probably right about that.

But the Bucs did spend a first round pick on OG Davin Joseph presumably to replace Mahan and I do vaguely remember reading other posts from Bucs fans that had extremely low opinions of Mayhem Mahan.

Another AS masterpiece.

BIG FAN

Have to agree with most on here about the line.
    I don't believe we did much to strengthen it, and have some trepidation about watching Ben get bounced on the field too often. I think that when the lowly jets sacked him seven times last year it should have sent some kind of message. That said, I believe since we only addressed the line in minimal measures, all we may get is minimal improvement. Remains to be seen....

I figure the OL to look something like this:

Smith-LT
    Colon/Mahan-LG
    Hartwig-C
    Simmons-RG
    Starks-RT

Now,who takes command of the OL now that Faneca is gone??

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    Smith-LT
    Colon/Mahan-LG
    Hartwig-C
    Simmons-RG
    Starks-RT

I might take some heat for this, but I'd like to see Starks take charge... Really, it doesn't matter as long as SOMEONE does....

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Smith-LT
    Colon/Mahan-LG
    Hartwig-C
    Simmons-RG
    Starks-RT

I might take some heat for this, but I'd like to see Starks take charge... Really, it doesn't matter as long as SOMEONE does....
    I'd like for him to step up his play first.Don't want to put too much on big boy's plate.Besides,I don't know if he could be the leader.His work ethic has been pretty awful since entering the league.

I figure the OL to look something like this:

Smith-LT
    Colon/Mahan-LG
    Hartwig-C
    Simmons-RG
    Starks-RT

What does one have to do to be the line commander, and what did Faneca do towards that last year? If he was the one who was leading by example last year, then I am even happier that he is gone.

Faneca is one of the top linemen in Steelers history but........

Last year he pouted prior to camp, he skipped all non mandatory OTA's, he was a distraction in the lockerroom and in the media, and he did not play all that well.

I am glad that he is no longer here to poison the minds of our young players. I'd rather have a Marvel Smith who played through so much pain that it took the coaches to get him off the field before it was revealed that he required surgery.

I'd rather have a Max Starks who lost his starting job last year to a rook when he was not even permitted to compete for it - he spent all camp experimenting at LT. He did not pout once, and was often shown on the sidelines cheering on those playing ahead of him. Then, when given the chance to return to the lineup, he played well, and never took the opportunity to say that he should have been on the field all year.

Lets face it. As a guard, Faneca was top notch. As a leader last year, he was non existent, and could not have had any positive influence on those around him.