Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: List your best/worst experience at a game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

List your best/worst experience at a game...

Alright guys (and gals)... After posting the thread about "NFL looking to improve in-stadium experience", it got me thinking about an interesting thread topic.... What are your best or worst experiences while attending a professional football game?...

I'll start: My best game/favorite game has to be the "hurricane game" which was Bens' first start, down in Miami. (many good ones, but this one stands out...)... It was complete "reluctance" and "uncertainty" going into the game... Add the torrential rain, delayed start date, and the commradery of Steeler fans (along with a 13-3 win), and it was one helluva game... Bens' first win as a starter as well. All of us there in Miami were going crazy!

My worst: Was a game in Cincy in '05 during the regular season. We won, but Cincy was on the rise, and so were thier fans... Now, I've been to every game here in Cincy for the last 10 years. Some were tame, and some were bad. This was the worst... They were doing well, and had a serious attitude. Obsenities were thrown (along with eggs) during tailgating even when I offered food to them...I was the only Steeler fan in our section, and had a beer poured down my back. While in line for a beer, my TT was ripped from my side and tossed over the railing. But the funniest part was when we got back to the parking lot... Many Bungle fans apparently do not know how to properly tailgate, and had dead car batteries, and I was the only one near-by with jumper cables!...

Most insightful game: When I was a youngster (don't remember the year, but very early '70s), my father took me to a game at Three Rivers against the Browns.... When I asked why there was so much blood and fighting in the restroom, my father only said; "you'll understand when you get older..."..........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: List your best/worst experience at a game...

Good ones.

My best: Actually a game in Cleveland two years ago when Anderson was just getting started in the middle of the season. We had Ben lead us on that 4th quarter comeback. I was never doubting that we would win. And it was great being the villain there. No beer thrown at me, mostly obscenities and some food, ha.

My worst (although it was still a good time): 2005 AFC Championship. A big letdown being such a good year and getting trounce early on, then a glimmer of hope only to be sealed shut. And that cheater Harrison returned the INT to my corner of the endzone. (C0ck$ucker). Plus I may not have ever been that cold. To top it off my beer was practically frozen at one point which was highly upsetting as well.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Best: Personally watching Harrison slam that fan. That was my first professional game.
    Worst: Same game...after the game a fight broke out between drunk brown fans and steeler fans. My wife and I almost got pushed out into the street and almost hit by a car. The police cam in and maced them all.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shiek2134
    My best: Actually a game in Cleveland two years ago when Anderson was just getting started in the middle of the season. We had Ben lead us on that 4th quarter comeback. I was never doubting that we would win. And it was great being the villain there. No beer thrown at me, mostly obscenities and some food, ha.

My worst (although it was still a good time): 2005 AFC Championship. A big letdown being such a good year and getting trounce early on, then a glimmer of hope only to be sealed shut. And that cheater Harrison returned the INT to my corner of the endzone. (C0ck$ucker). Plus I may not have ever been that cold. To top it off my beer was practically frozen at one point which was highly upsetting as well.
    One would imply that you need to drink faster if your beer froze on you....

.... in the regular season finale in '06 when we beat the Bungles in OT, I had food thrown at me..... It was late in the fourth quarter and Palmer took a shot by Farrior (I think), and it was called as a penalty.... Well, my better half had gotten us tix down in the heart of "season tix territory", and when it happened, I was pelted with half-eaten hotdogs.... .... Pretty funny afterwords because we won the game!

Legend

User Info Menu

My best game was the immaculate reception game. I witnessed history in person with my best friend.

The worst was having to get the ushers and security to have Steeler fans thrown out of three rivers because, they were being jacka$$es to my cousin and his friends that are Browns fans.

How embarrassing that was. I have been to Cleveland stadium with this group many times and was always treated great. We jabbered with each other during the game (but, isn't that what being a fan is all about?), but, before and after we had a great time. They come to Pittsburgh and, of course, the drunk idiot wants to start fighting. You know the rest.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Best - The Steelers beating the Packers at Three Rivers on MNF in '98. My one and only visit to Pittsburgh to date. What a great town and what great people...I felt totally at home amongst all the Steelers fans in the city!

Worst - Steelers @ Packers in '95. The Thigpen drop. Early in the game some drunk redneck Packers fan said he was going to make me his bitch while his equally drunk and equally redneckish buddies egged him on. I had to listen to their crap the whole game...security would do nothing about it.

Runner up - My first game ever...Steelers @ Packers 1992. Brett Favre's first start. Should have been an easy win. Arguably the worst game of Rod Woodson's career. Bah!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Alright guys (and gals)... After posting the thread about "NFL looking to improve in-stadium experience", it got me thinking about an interesting thread topic.... What are your best or worst experiences while attending a professional football game?...

I'll start: My best game/favorite game has to be the "hurricane game" which was Bens' first start, down in Miami. (many good ones, but this one stands out...)... It was complete "reluctance" and "uncertainty" going into the game... Add the torrential rain, delayed start date, and the commradery of Steeler fans (along with a 13-3 win), and it was one helluva game... Bens' first win as a starter as well. All of us there in Miami were going crazy!

My worst: Was a game in Cincy in '05 during the regular season. We won, but Cincy was on the rise, and so were thier fans... Now, I've been to every game here in Cincy for the last 10 years. Some were tame, and some were bad. This was the worst... They were doing well, and had a serious attitude. Obsenities were thrown (along with eggs) during tailgating even when I offered food to them...I was the only Steeler fan in our section, and had a beer poured down my back. While in line for a beer, my TT was ripped from my side and tossed over the railing. But the funniest part was when we got back to the parking lot... Many Bungle fans apparently do not know how to properly tailgate, and had dead car batteries, and I was the only one near-by with jumper cables!...

Most insightful game: When I was a youngster (don't remember the year, but very early '70s), my father took me to a game at Three Rivers against the Browns.... When I asked why there was so much blood and fighting in the restroom, my father only said; "you'll understand when you get older..."..........
    I was thinking about going down to that game for Ben's first start, but stayed home due to the weather conditions...that would have been cool.

My best memory has got to be my first Steelers game ever. Remember, I've never even been to Pittsburgh, let alone a game there, so I've only had the chance to go to a few. It was Christmas Eve 1989 (my first Christmas back from the military and I ditched my family ) and maybe the coldest day on record here. I scored pre-game passes to get onto the field and when the time came for the game to start, I said screw it and stayed. I just kind of moved with the press along the sideline and at one point was almost flattened by Rod Woodson on a punt return. I made a fatal error by deciding to move into the Steelers bench area, but I was able to stay long enough to be standing right on the sideline when Bubby, Tim Worley, and Merril Hoge all came off the field and huddled right next to me. They had just scored a TD and I said something like "good job guys!" and they all just looked at me like I was some kind of idiot. At that moment, some big redneck came and threw me off the field.

My worst is probably SB XXXV. First, I was supposed to travel by limo as part of some promotion the radio station I worked at was having. We're at this huge live event and the limo company has got this sweet-ass ride on display and I'm looking at it with serious anticipation. The contest was a random draw for two free Super Bowl tickets and a limo ride with me another show host and I was lookin' at that ride and praying for two hot chicks to win the drawing. Well, a little while later they have the drawing and some toothless hick wins the thing and proclaims he's going home to get his elderly father. At that moment, the limo company marches out some beat-up 20 year-old brown limousine that looked like it could barely make it over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I was pissed and told my buddy to have fun in the limo with the two rednecks and just drove myself...big mistake. I couldn't park any closer than miles from the stadium and had to walk. My press credentials didn't allow me access to the pressbox (only print media was allowed), but I snuck in anyway to hang with my newspaper buddies, chow down on all the free Super Bowl food offerings, and charge the batteries to my cam-corder. Just as I got everything plugged in, some a-hole security guy comes up to me and tells me to hit the bricks, so I rush trying to put the battery back in the camera and it gets completely jammed...the camera now is useless for the whole game. The game by the way obviously sucked and more ridiculous crap happened that I spare everyone from.

Funny, both stories involve me getting kicked out from somewhere.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fla, it seems that when luck or regulations turn against you, it's the rednecks that are doing the bad....

....As one living in Kentucky (not born here, just stuck here), I make a plea to you to not hate the redneck.... Whether he be tossing you off the field where you shouldn't be, or driving the limo, and squashing the dream-plan that never materialized..... He, in general, is a person, and is being unfairly persecuted by you for your misgivings.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Fla, it seems that when luck or regulations turn against you, it's the rednecks that are doing the bad....

....As one living in Kentucky (not born here, just stuck here), I make a plea to you to not hate the redneck.... Whether he be tossing you off the field where you shouldn't be, or driving the limo, and squashing the dream-plan that never materialized..... He, in general, is a person, and is being unfairly persecuted by you for your misgivings.....
    What about the rednecks who mistreated me?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

What about the rednecks who mistreated me?
    You deserved it... :P

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount