Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: List your best/worst experience at a game...

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: List your best/worst experience at a game...

I'll start with worse:
    I've only been to two Steelers games, both in San Diego.

In 1994 my Dad and I went to the season ending game, we (the Steelers) had
    already locked up our playoff spot. Thomzack was starting along with mostly second stringers. I was just excited to be watching the Pittsburgh Steelers! Dad drank a lot.

After the game fights broke out every where, it was ugly. I lived in SD at the time and honestly epected a casual laid back atmosphere.

When we finally made it to my truck (1984 Nissan/Datson pickup ha) I was seeing outnumbered Steeler fans trying to defend themselves at every turn. As we neared the exit I see a Steeler fan being brutally beaten by a small mob of Chargers fans... 19 years old at the time and thinking I could take on the world, I announced " Thats it I'm going in!!" I put my truck in neutral, slammed on the e-brake and started to get out of my truck to hear my Dad say (slurred, incoherent) "Om cuuumiiin too"... I slouched back into my seat, drove home and have always wondered what became of my fellow Steeler fans after that game.

I guess this is my best
    In 2006 I had a Raider fan sitting right behind me (at a Steelers/ Chargers game mind you) and still have my suspicions that he stole my binoculars...

Again I was grateful to be watching my Steelers but really it was a bad experience. It was hard to watch them fold in the second half, especially having to listen to Raider fan.

Another AS masterpiece.

motter1975

My best experience: Dec. 11, 2005 game at Heinz field. Steelrs vs. Bears. The one in the snow...the one that started our run to the Super Bowl. My first game at Heinz Field. My first Steelers game since I was a little girl. My fiance (a Bears fan) and I got tickets to the game from someone my Mom works with. Didn't know where the seats were, but didn't really care, since they were free tickets. We drove up to Pittsburgh for the weekend, and stayed with my aunt and uncle, who live in Bethel Park. Took the trolley down to Station Square with a bunch of other fans, and then took the boat over to the stadium. The trolley broke down on the way, so we ended up coming through the tunnel right as they were kicking off. Hearing the roar of the crowd, and seeing Heinz field emerge in front of my eyes was one of the most awe inspiring things I have ever seen. It actually brought tears to my eyes. So then we go find our seats, and get this...35 yard line, Steelers side, 14 rows back from the field. I could see everything. And then to whip up on the Bears, and win that game that we NEEDED to win in order to have any shot at the playoffs, was just incredible. I can honestly say that from the tiem I sat down in my seat to the time we left when the game was over, I did not leave from my seat...not to get a drink, not to go to the bathroom, not to have a cigarette...not for anything. After awhile, the snow started to accumulate on me, and it wasn't melting...didn't care. I was having way too much fun. It definitely ranked up there in the best days of my life. Now, Mike, my fiance, probably didn't enjoy it quite so much. But the Steelers fans were really cool. They kept telling hiim, "It's okay Mike...we need this win, you don't". And he was a really good sport. He likes the Steelers too, and will always root for them loudly as long as they're not playing his Bears. Anyway, the overall experience of that day...weather, seats, game, etc. ...definitely makes it my best experience at a game.

Now for the worst....not even a Steelers game. Last year we went to the Bears/Redskins game in DC. It was a Thurs. night game, and I had to work both Thurs. and Fri...But, someone offered us seats for pretty inexpensive (think like $40 a piece, or something), and it was right around Mike's birthday, so of course we went. Drove up to DC, got stuck in rush hour traffic, went the wrong way on the Beltway, and ended up missing the whole first quarter. It was COLD and miserable, but that was okay, 'cause that's how footballs supposed to be. Our seats were OK...they were under the upper level, and had a restricted view, but they had tv screens all over, so seeing was not a problem. The redskins fans were fine. They were having fun, not being rude, or anything. Problem was the drunken Bears fans. First, the kid in front of us (who must have BEARLY been 21), started all kinds of **** with some people. This escalated into a fight, and Mike ended up havign to hold the kid back...while the kids father, or whatever just stood by. Then they finally get him calmed down and separated from the ones he was picking fights with and all is quiet for a bit. Then the people sitting like 3 seats down from us (also Bears fans) well most of them go to the concession stand, leaving their drunken passed out buddy behind who proceeds to piss his pants. Security comes, tries to wake him up, he won't stir. So security guard goes to get backups. Meanwhile his friends come back and try to revive him with no success. Securiy comes back, tells them to leave...back and forth back and forth, so I can't even follow the game. The yelling up in front starts again...we finally left with about 3 min left in the game. Bears lost...all in all just a miserable game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    This is a cool topic:

My best: I think it would have to be my first game in the Burgh. It was 9-29-96 against the Oilers (wish they were still here, I still hate them). I just remember the boys jumping out to a big early lead and cruising the rest of the way, but I think the best part of the day was when Shayne Edge (who doesn't remember that name, lol) got into a fist fight with Blaine Bishop and kicked the **** out of him. It was great watching so no name punter beating up what was suppose to be one of the toughest Oilers on the team. I think the best feeling was when I acutally saw the gold end zones for the first time. I had waited my whole life to be in that position, it still gives me chills.

My worst: Losing to the Browns in '99. I was sitting in the end zone where P Dawson made that kick and I was so upset. I could not believe that we lost to a team that we had beat 43-0 just seven weeks earlier. What a terrible feeling! Not only that but I have to work in the frickin city so I had to hear about it all stinkin year. I think I kind of tried to black some of this stuff out but I do remember chargin the tunnel or above it there at old Three Rivers and calling Kordell every name in the book b/c I had to go back to Cleveland and listen to all that crap. It was a terrible day, got even worse when I had to make the 2 hour track back to Akron with a buzz (Dumba$$).

One other cool memory was from the Colts game on '02 on MNF, I just remember walkin into the hall around 8:30 and all that you could hear was the reverberating sounds of Steelers fans chanting....here we go Steelers, here we go.....that was flippin awesome.
    This reminds me of an addendum to my best experience I posted earlier. In the Old Sombrero, after I was forcibly removed from the field I started pounding these giant beers and by game's end I was pretty well sloshed and the only people left in the stadium were raucous Steeler fans chanting the familiar "Here We Go!" and "I've got a feelin'" in drunken unison. If I remember correctly we needed that win to secure a playoff spot, so it was especially sweet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    This reminds me of an addendum to my best experience I posted earlier. In the Old Sombrero, after I was forcibly removed from the field I started pounding these giant beers and by game's end I was pretty well sloshed and the only people left in the stadium were raucous Steeler fans chanting the familiar "Here We Go!" and "I've got a feelin'" in drunken unison. If I remember correctly we needed that win to secure a playoff spot, so it was especially sweet.
    ...Talkin' about the Sombrero, my college room mate was from Tampa... While attending school over in Daytona, we would go over to catch games once in a while... He used to work at the mall next door, and still had his I.D., so we could park for free and walk over. And his brother worked concessions at the stadium, so we'd go in with them in the morning, then just ditch the crowd.... The place was never full, so it wasn't an issue... Add to the fact that they only counted the glasses sold, not the amount of beer, so we'd buy the first one then his brother would give us free refills for the rest of the game!.... Did you know that after 6 or 8 refills, those paper cups would just disentigrate?!...

Fla, I also attended a Steeler game in Tampa back in '98... But unfortunately we lost 16-3... It was a dreadful day, game-wise, but at least the price was right!.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Best: Tie between the following 2.

MNF against Tennessee. Plax had his breakout game for like 180 yards. It was astounding.

Game in 3 - Rivers against Baltimore in the Kordell era --we won(barely). I was like 10 rows behind the players bench right behind the Bus's dad and amongst players GF and wives. (They were HOT).

Worst:

I can't think of any worst times, so I will go with the time I ran out of beer at the tailgate too early.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I can't think of any worst times, so I will go with the time I ran out of beer at the tailgate too early.
    .....For shame!!!!..........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    .....For shame!!!!..........
    It was my brother's fault!!!

THere was this other time when we were playing the Bengals. And there was a Bengal fan 10 rows in front of me dressed to the hilt in Bengal gear. And he was being an obnoxious tool. I yelled some REALLY mean things at him and pointed and stuff. I knocked over my buddy's beer doing that. So, I feel bad about knocking over his beer.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    ...Talkin' about the Sombrero, my college room mate was from Tampa... While attending school over in Daytona, we would go over to catch games once in a while... He used to work at the mall next door, and still had his I.D., so we could park for free and walk over. And his brother worked concessions at the stadium, so we'd go in with them in the morning, then just ditch the crowd.... The place was never full, so it wasn't an issue... Add to the fact that they only counted the glasses sold, not the amount of beer, so we'd buy the first one then his brother would give us free refills for the rest of the game!.... Did you know that after 6 or 8 refills, those paper cups would just disentigrate?!...

Fla, I also attended a Steeler game in Tampa back in '98... But unfortunately we lost 16-3... It was a dreadful day, game-wise, but at least the price was right!.....
    Ha! That was the game where Kordell cried on the sideline...I was there also. I was going to put it as one of my worst experiences along side that Super Bowl, but I didn't want to be long-winded. The outcome sucked and the weather sucked. I was there covering the game and when I went into the locker room afterwards I had two unique experiences. That day was the first time I had ever heard the "gay rumors" about Kordell (and of course he picks that game to break down and cry) and as I'm in the locker room, I turn around to have him right in front of me completely naked. I kind of freaked out in my mind a little but managed to say something to console him 'cause he looked like someone just shot his dog. It was real weird.

I few moments later I'm interviewing Tomczak and apparently he had grown tired of questions related to Ray Sherman's offense and started to rip into me and the media in general. So I fired right back at him and told him something to the effect that it's obvious the players are having a difficult time adjusting to the offense and that he shouldn't be taking his frustrations out on me. Of course this didn't sit well with him and we got into a pretty heated shouting match until some dude stepped in and kind of separated us. It was a very stressed out locker room that day and after the thing with Tomczak, I just decided to un-ass (unbelievably, I wasn't thrown out ).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Whew, what a tough chore this is trying to narrow it down. I'll start with my five worst games:

1. 2004 AFCCG vs. the Pats*---Freezing cold, sucky game, my dad and I were going to the Super Bowl if they won, no further explanation

2. 1997 season opener vs. Dallas---smoking hot, scalped tickets at 8 am cuz I am an idiot and the worst scalper EVER, lost 37-7

3. 2005 vs Cincy---basically watched Cincy clinch the AFCN on my turf. TJ Dousch shines his shoes w/Terrible Towel, nearly got kicked out for screaming obscenities at a guy on the field cheering for the Bungles, but not wearing any Bungle stuff. That just annoyed me and I let him know that... ...in so many ways. The Heinz security kicked my buddy out and I was told to step back off the rail, so I did, for one series.

4. 2001 AFCCG vs. The Pats*---I hate Cheryl Crow to this day because she sang that stupid Soak up the Sun song in my end zone at halftime. Once again, my dad and I were going to New Orleans if they won. He spent the week prior to the SB teaching me to play craps. Needless to say, I never had the chance.

5. The only win in my worst 5. 1997 Sunday Nighter vs. Indy. I only include this because I got completely hammered, threw myself and my buddy down 5 rows of Three Rivers Stadium seats toppling over plenty of people. Didn't get kicked out though. I didn't want to be "that guy." Unfortunately, that night, I was indeed, "that guy."

I'll post my top W's later. Gotta do some more reminiscing.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    4. 2001 AFCCG vs. The Pats*---I hate Cheryl Crow to this day because she sang that stupid Soak up the Sun song in my end zone at halftime. Once again, my dad and I were going to New Orleans if they won. He spent the week prior to the SB teaching me to play craps. Needless to say, I never had the chance.
    I remember thinking two things:

1) The AFCCG is not a vehicle for album promotion.
    2) Soaking Up the Sun is not an appropriate song for 15 degree weather.

I will always hate that song.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]