Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,476

    Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    They just had a small segment featuring Limus Weed, then flipped it back to the studio to discuss the outlook for next year's team.

    Sweed was soft-spoken but confident as he talked about the transition to the pro game and some of his new teammates and coaches. They showed some B-roll of him practicing in OTAs during the interview and while it was hard to really discern anything, I thought he looked damn good in the Black-n-Gold. I thought Sweed was the best receiver in the draft and was saying so the night before with a buddy of mine, so I'm stoked to get him.
    As far as the team outlook, Schefter spoke glowingly of the recent injection of talent and speed with Mendenhall, Sweed, Woodley and Timmons. Woodson was pretty much non-committal either way and spoke of the Steelers need to play consistently down the stretch and pointed out the change in offensive philosophy. The fat man, Jamie Dukes, astutely asked the question of which of our high draft picks are going to block for Ben Roethlisberger. Then they went from showing big plays from our offense to showing Ben get buried and Willie Colon standing nearby with that Arby's sign over his head. All Eisen contributed was his typical lame one-liner about some inane observation...Ward's "old-school" leather helmet was his target this time. There was no definitive proclamation to our 2008 outlook, so no one was saying contender or pretender.

    Look for a link to pop-up on NFLN.com.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    As far as the team outlook, Schefter spoke glowingly of the recent injection of talent and speed with Mendenhall, Sweed, Woodley and Timmons. Woodson was pretty much non-committal either way and spoke of the Steelers need to play consistently down the stretch and pointed out the change in offensive philosophy. The fat man, Jamie Dukes, astutely asked the question of which of our high draft picks are going to block for Ben Roethlisberger. Then they went from showing big plays from our offense to showing Ben get buried and Willie Colon standing nearby with that Arby's sign over his head. All Eisen contributed was his typical lame one-liner about some inane observation...Ward's "old-school" leather helmet was his target this time. There was no definitive proclamation to our 2008 outlook, so no one was saying contender or pretender.
    You gotta believe that Woodson was just as sick, if not moreso, than many of us fans about the inability to stop a late-game drive as the season wound down last year.... And I gotta agree with the "fat man".... We can have all the weapons in the world, but if Ben is on his back, none are much good....

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Well Dukes has a point. But to casual followers of the Steelers (unlike us here on PS) that is going to be their first impression. I don't expect them to do some research and see that we at least have some options for different line combinations. But in all honesty, that doesn't mean squat. We still need them to perform.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Oh and one more thing, can I nominate Rich Eisen to the "douchebaggery" hall of fame...or at least a "Certified Perveyor of Douchebaggery" or something. He seems like a good spokes person or leader...kind of like Nutsack was to the LoD.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,476

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    As far as the team outlook, Schefter spoke glowingly of the recent injection of talent and speed with Mendenhall, Sweed, Woodley and Timmons. Woodson was pretty much non-committal either way and spoke of the Steelers need to play consistently down the stretch and pointed out the change in offensive philosophy. The fat man, Jamie Dukes, astutely asked the question of which of our high draft picks are going to block for Ben Roethlisberger. Then they went from showing big plays from our offense to showing Ben get buried and Willie Colon standing nearby with that Arby's sign over his head. All Eisen contributed was his typical lame one-liner about some inane observation...Ward's "old-school" leather helmet was his target this time. There was no definitive proclamation to our 2008 outlook, so no one was saying contender or pretender.
    You gotta believe that Woodson was just as sick, if not moreso, than many of us fans about the inability to stop a late-game drive as the season wound down last year.... And I gotta agree with the "fat man".... We can have all the weapons in the world, but if Ben is on his back, none are much good....
    That's a great perspective of "down the stretch" to add to the converstion. Woodson was implying simply playing well heading into the playoffs rather than limping in, but we had a propensity to give up some last minute drives which began early on with Denver. I'm hoping some of this young blood on defense can add to the fire a few of our vets bring, to give us back that killer instinct on defense.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woooooo!!!
    Posts
    2,987

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    As far as the team outlook, Schefter spoke glowingly of the recent injection of talent and speed with Mendenhall, Sweed, Woodley and Timmons. Woodson was pretty much non-committal either way and spoke of the Steelers need to play consistently down the stretch and pointed out the change in offensive philosophy. The fat man, Jamie Dukes, astutely asked the question of which of our high draft picks are going to block for Ben Roethlisberger. Then they went from showing big plays from our offense to showing Ben get buried and Willie Colon standing nearby with that Arby's sign over his head. All Eisen contributed was his typical lame one-liner about some inane observation...Ward's "old-school" leather helmet was his target this time. There was no definitive proclamation to our 2008 outlook, so no one was saying contender or pretender.
    You gotta believe that Woodson was just as sick, if not moreso, than many of us fans about the inability to stop a late-game drive as the season wound down last year.... And I gotta agree with the "fat man".... We can have all the weapons in the world, but if Ben is on his back, none are much good....
    That's a great perspective of "down the stretch" to add to the converstion. Woodson was implying simply playing well heading into the playoffs rather than limping in, but we had a propensity to give up some last minute drives which began early on with Denver. I'm hoping some of this young blood on defense can add to the fire a few of our vets bring, to give us back that killer instinct on defense.
    We also had the propensity to not be able to run down the clock to prevent the need for a last minute stop on D. We punted in the Jets and Jags game (IIRC) with less than a few minutes remaining. Maybe with RM we can run out the clocks with a few first downs.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    We also had the propensity to not be able to run down the clock to prevent the need for a last minute stop on D. We punted in the Jets and Jags game (IIRC) with less than a few minutes remaining. Maybe with RM we can run out the clocks with a few first downs.
    ....At the risk of not being PC, I'm going to use the "C" word....... Bill "C"owher was great at running down the clock.... We'll have to get used to new methods/schemes to control a game.... I, as well, hope we can get some of that back this season....

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,476

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    We also had the propensity to not be able to run down the clock to prevent the need for a last minute stop on D. We punted in the Jets and Jags game (IIRC) with less than a few minutes remaining. Maybe with RM we can run out the clocks with a few first downs.
    ....At the risk of not being PC, I'm going to use the "C" word....... Bill "C"owher was great at running down the clock.... We'll have to get used to new methods/schemes to control a game.... I, as well, hope we can get some of that back this season....
    Yes, like the dreaded quarterback keeper on 3rd and six.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  9. #9

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    And I gotta agree with the "fat man".... We can have all the weapons in the world, but if Ben is on his back, none are much good....
    So, I guess the main question here is whether or not we are better suited to keep Ben off his back this year. I posted a bit of a upgrade/downgrade list on trib a couple of weeks ago, but here is the gist of it:

    2008 upgrades:

    *Marvel healthy - he played hurt when he did play last year
    *Hartwig in, Mahan out at C
    *Either Colon with a year under his belt, or him beaten out by Starks would be better than rookie Colon
    * Ben has a year experience at calling out blocking
    * Line has a year experience under the ZB scheme that was just introduced last year
    * OL coach, OC, HC has a year experience in these respective positions, and knowing these players
    * Hopefully the coaches set the starting line before camp breaks so that these guys can get some reps as a unit before they step out on the field
    * Faneca distraction, OTA holdout etc. is gone

    2008 downgrades:

    * Faneca out, lesser player in - be it Kemo, Mahan or Colon. While I don't think that he played up to his normal PB level, he is still better than whoever will replace him.


    Now, after looking at all the reasons that we should be worse, and all of the reasons why we should be better, I think that this unit will easily outperform last year's OL. While that is not an overly impressive statement, it remains to be seen exactly how much better this unit is this year. The line may not become the strength of the team, but hopefully it won't still be the glaring weakness that it was in '07.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,335

    Re: Sweed & 2008 Steeler Outlook on NFLN

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    And I gotta agree with the "fat man".... We can have all the weapons in the world, but if Ben is on his back, none are much good....
    So, I guess the main question here is whether or not we are better suited to keep Ben off his back this year. I posted a bit of a upgrade/downgrade list on trib a couple of weeks ago, but here is the gist of it:

    2008 upgrades:

    *Marvel healthy - he played hurt when he did play last year
    *Hartwig in, Mahan out at C
    *Either Colon with a year under his belt, or him beaten out by Starks would be better than rookie Colon
    * Ben has a year experience at calling out blocking
    * Line has a year experience under the ZB scheme that was just introduced last year
    * OL coach, OC, HC has a year experience in these respective positions, and knowing these players
    * Hopefully the coaches set the starting line before camp breaks so that these guys can get some reps as a unit before they step out on the field
    * Faneca distraction, OTA holdout etc. is gone

    2008 downgrades:

    * Faneca out, lesser player in - be it Kemo, Mahan or Colon. While I don't think that he played up to his normal PB level, he is still better than whoever will replace him.

    Now, after looking at all the reasons that we should be worse, and all of the reasons why we should be better, I think that this unit will easily outperform last year's OL. While that is not an overly impressive statement, it remains to be seen exactly how much better this unit is this year. The line may not become the strength of the team, but hopefully it won't still be the glaring weakness that it was in '07.
    Lesser reputation, but I think we will be surprised by overall performance.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •