Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OTAs

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: OTAs

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Yea, I'm pretty stoked about Baker. Lets say Baker becomes a legit threat...could you
    imagine...???

Holmes Baker Ward Sweed

Ben Mendenhall

That's just sick.
    That looks sweet, so why pay $1.4M to Washington who will rarely see the field?
    Because they had to tender him prior to the draft before they knew that Sweed would fall into their laps in the 2nd round. I realize that Dallas Baker has been impressive coaches recently at the post-draft minicamp and the OTA's this week, but when at the time they had to decide on their RFA tenders, Baker was just a guy who was on their practice squad last season. The tender given to Nate was the absolute right move (unlike the Starks transition tag).
    I guarantee you that Starks will have a bigger role in this teams success this year than Washington. Tagging Starks in the hope that a cap favorable long term deal could be worked out was the absolute right move.
    I certainly won't whine about the Starks tag if they are able to work out a more reasonable longer term deal, but right now, what's the better bang for the buck?

$6.9 million for a backup tackle whose primary contribution last season was as a 3rd TE in short yardage situations? Or $1.4 million for a guy who has caught 64 balls for 1074 yards (16.8 average) and 9 TD's over the past 2 years? One was a panic move by a team desperate along the o-line, while the other was a smart business decision because another team would have certainly signed Nate to an offer sheet if we gave him the lowest tender that would not have required any compensation. The team did not want to have to rely on unknown quantities like Baker and Reid to be 3rd and 4th WR's next year (remember, Sweed was not in the equation when RFA tenders were given out).

I still don't understand why so many people hate Nate so much. He functioned significantly above average for a 3rd WR the past couple of years, and will be a better 4th option than any other team in the league could put out there next season. With Sweed now in town as the likely #3 WR, Nate should now hold the role that Cedrick Wilson held last year, for about half the cost we paid Ced and providing more than twice the production. Where's the big issue here?

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthlessburgher
    I still don't understand why so many people hate Nate so much. He functioned significantly above average for a 3rd WR the past couple of years, and will be a better 4th option than any other team in the league could put out there next season. With Sweed now in town as the likely #3 WR, Nate should now hold the role that Cedrick Wilson held last year, for about half the cost we paid Ced and providing more than twice the production. Where's the big issue here?
    I'm not sure where the issue with Nate comes from. I know at times he was inconsistent and dropped a few balls he should have caught; but, nothing like you would be made to believe if you read posts about him. You would think he kidnapped someones child and was holding him/her for ransom the way people hate on him.

I'm with you, I think he'll be a sick #4 and make defenses defend the full length and width of the field.

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.46) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    3.118 ) Brandon Coleman - WR
    4.157) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    5.192)
    6.215) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.230)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Nate is definately under appreciated.

Will be an awesome #4

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I have been one who has backed Max for quite some time now. I have also had my say about Nate when he has dropped some catchable balls.

But.......If Max stays at $6.9M, we are not getting good value for our dollar, and I am not nearly as unhappy with Nate as our #4 WR at $1.4M.

Nate is a little overpaid for a numer 4, but I'm happy with him at that spot. I am also ready for Max to return to the starting lineup, but there is no way to justify $6.9M.