Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTAs

Re: OTAs

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by anothersteelerfan
    Not sure where the poster got this info from.
    http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4748

For those who wanted changes on the offensive line, Tuesday was the day. Because of injuries and absences, the Steelers used only one of last year's first-team starters in his same position.
    Willie Colon lined up at right tackle, but Darnell Stapleton started at right guard and Sean Mahan started at left guard. Free-agent acquisition Justin Hartwig opened at center. Max Starks was the left tackle. Guards Kendall Simmons and Chris Kemoteatu were on the sideline nursing minor injuries while left tackle Marvel Smith was tending to a personal issue. The second-team line, from left to right, was Jason Capizzi, Mahan/Trai Essex, Hartwig, Stapleton, and Jeremy Parquet.

The receiving corps also missed most of its key players. Hines Ward returned, but Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes were out, replaced by Dallas Baker and Willie Reid. Baker, in particular, had a strong practice.

TE Matt Spaeth may have made the best catch of the practice, going high to snare a Ben Roethlisberger pass in the back of the end zone. The best catch by a defensive player was made by rookie safety Ryan Mundy, who dove to intercept an overthrown Charlie Batch pass.

The top defensive play might've been made by undrafted rookie cornerback Travis Williams, who broke up a deep pass intended for Reid.

By unanimous decree, the top catch on special teams was made by nose tackle Chris Hoke, who made a running, over-the-shoulder catch of a pass off a fake field goal.

First-round pick Rashard Mendenhall remains sidelined by a hamstring injury. Also on the injury front, defensive end Ryan McBean is out of his boot and off crutches, but remained sidelined by a stress fracture in his foot.

I think Mahan will beat out Kemo for LG. I also think Spaeth will have a monster season if Ben just throws him the ball. I also think Reid makes this team. he will make tough catches. If Baker has a great pre-season it could be Washington heading out of town.
    I sincerely hope he redeems himself from last year's debacle. For all the crap we give him, it sucks to have a player on your favorite team be hated so much. It would be a nice story if he went back to guard and put in a solid performance good enough to crack the starting lineup.

Dangit, we don't have the "bang your head into a wall" emoticon here, famously used in conjunction with Mahan. So he now has no choice but to get better now.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Lots of good replies so far in this thread. A couple of things that jumped out to me:

* Colon was practising at guard. I don't care what the party line is - Max Starks has the starting RT job as of now. They did not give him almost $7M to backup anybody. In the meantime, if the team still likes Colon, and I keep hearing that his body and skillset is more ideal for guard, then that is where I see his immediate future.

* Great news on Baker, it may make the WR battle pretty non-eventful in camp. Does anybody know if a RFA tender is guaranteed? I know that Franchise and Transition contracts are locked in, but I'm not sure about the RFA deals. If guaranteed, then Washington is set. If not, then Baker might be pushing him out.

* I think that Mahan will prove to be at least a decent guard. Alright, center experiment over, but now he is back at his natural position. If true, then we could have some solid depth at guard with Kemo, Simmons, Mahan, Colon, Stapleton.

* If there was any doubt at all that Hartwig is our starting C, he is on both the first and second line at the OTA.

* Very happy to hear that Sepulveda is booming the ball. Let's get that Ray Guy punter, our ST can use it.

* Chris Hoke catching passes on fake FGs? Can't wait to see that!

Hall of Famer

In case any of you miss "home", here are some replies to a similar topic on TL:

Quote Originally Posted by bigblack steel
    Punter Daniel Sepulveda looks like his leg is even stronger than last year. He was consistently kicking the ball into the roof at the indoor practice facility, which is 100-feet high. And some of those balls were still rising when they hit.

I hope his leg is stronger, he was barely average last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowhersucks4
    i can punt the ball 33 yards high
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

Punter Daniel Sepulveda looks like his leg is even stronger than last year. He was consistently kicking the ball into the roof at the indoor practice facility, which is 100-feet high. And some of those balls were still rising when they hit.
    Well, wouldn't the ball have to still be rising if it hit the roof? I mean, if it were falling, wouldn't it already have it the roof? Or do I just need another cup of coffee this AM?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Max Starks saw plenty of action at left tackle.
    If he shows he can play well at LT, he should be signed long term and Marvel can play out this last yr and leave as a FA next March.
    IMO, Starks is much better at LT than RT.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Well, wouldn't the ball have to still be rising if it hit the roof? I mean, if it were falling, wouldn't it already have it the roof? Or do I just need another cup of coffee this AM?
    The explanation given to that very same question at TL is that by roof, they probably meant "rafters" -- given that, it would be possible.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

The explanation given to that very same question at TL is that by roof, they probably meant "rafters" -- given that, it would be possible.
    i think the guy who wrote it just made a stupid comment.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Not if they are holding OTA's in Texas Stadium with the hole in the roof. He could kick it through the hole, and it could hit the roof in its way down.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Max Starks saw plenty of action at left tackle.
    If he shows he can play well at LT, he should be signed long term and Marvel can play out this last yr and leave as a FA next March.
    IMO, Starks is much better at LT than RT.
    I tend to agree and I think the coaches relaize this too. This is very similar to Mahan who was a solid Guard in Tampa but lacking playing Center. Mahan gets ways too much hate and falesely gets blamed for things that occurred that should have been laid at the feet of Faneca and Simmons. Mahan was very much made a scapegoat so no one had to do an honest assessment of the declining play of the great Faneca.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Glad to see Mundy making some plays. I don't think Washington has anything to worry about roster wise. If they didn't want him he wouldn't be making over a million this year.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin