Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL to shorten preseason, lengthen regular season?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: NFL to shorten preseason, lengthen regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    For the record I actually enjoy the preseason games. Kind of my "warm up games." I think of the preseason as my time to actually be a "regular fan." The games are basically stress-free. As long as we get through injury free I am happy.

During the regular season I am screaming and cussing. I get in trouble from wife/parents/neighbors. It's a mess.
    Agreed. For someone like me, I don't get to come into Pittsburgh very often anymore, and I always try and make it in for a preseason game. One of the reason is because I won't have to pay out the wahoo for tickets, and the other is it is a less stressful game. If I fork over the gas money and 100+ bucks a ticket to a regular season game, and they lose, I'm going to be honked off for multiple reasons.

1. I paid a lot of money
    2. the Steelers lost
    3. I traveled quite a ways

That is why I spend the regular season in front of my tv and sunday ticket. Preseason sis cheaper, warmer and I can enjoy it. Plus, I always love when they do the Pirates game in the day and the Steelers game at night. Awesome day/night double dip! This year they plit it up, but that just gives me another reason to stay in the Burgh another night.

Starter

User Info Menu

Don't know if I like the sound of another game if its played on our field.I think it gets used and abused enough already.Pretty soon we'll have to rename Heinz Field to the Pittsburgh Quagmire.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by shiek2134
    Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! Go Man U!
    I don’t know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on.

Ehh, its a friendly. Today is for the Championship! I actually went to US v. England friendly in Chicago a few years ago. Great experience.
    damn good point....Lion and Rose here i come!
    Sounds like we need a soccer forum..... :P
    What, for all three of us? :P

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MAN U!!!

It was great at the pub when Ronaldo missed his penalty kick this Chelsea d-bag was flickin' off the entire bar. Then when Terry and Anelka missed he fell to his knees and held his head in shame. Got to excited.

Which is exactly how Browns fans will feel by week 8. Right now they are the d-bag flicking the entire league off too prematurely.

(had to tie this back to football so i didn't get flamed for starting a soccer discussion)
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

LasVegasGuy

Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! Go Man U!
    I don’t know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on.
    Dudes, if I remember right when the ball goes out of bounds the time keeps running. It also goes to 0.00 and the game doesn't end. Am I correct or was I watching some sorry a.s.s. officiating?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Dudes, if I remember right when the ball goes out of bounds the time keeps running. It also goes to 0.00 and the game doesn't end. Am I correct or was I watching some sorry a.s.s. officiating?
    Yes you saw it right, but no commercials!!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Okay, LVG, here's the 50 cent tour of soccer for those that do not see the beauty of the beautiful game and can't watch a match. The clock never stops in a soccer match, however, there are times during each half where the clock is running and the game is not being played, e.g. injury, after a goal, ball into the stands.

The referee notes the time lost and adds it to the end of each half, this is known as stoppage time. If you've never watched a soccer match from start to end, I suggest you give it a try. There are never any commercials or stoppage of play, it's awesome to see a game played the way the designers of the game intended, that is, w/o commercials.

All advertising is done during the game via rolling banners around the field and occasionally in the crawler part of the screen.

As for yesterday's game, I didn't see it, but, my wife told me that the first half was rather sloppy, give aways in the mid-field, passes not finding their mark and some miscommunication. Evidently, the 2nd half was played at the level you would expect from the two best club teams in the world.

1-1 and a Man U victory 6-5 in a shootout. Good stuff! Congrats Shiek!

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Starter

User Info Menu

^

I missed it as well Couldn’t leave work. When i got home one of the sports networks was replaying it...caught it at the 77th minute. Pretty entertaining from that point on. I am definitely getting out of here for next weeks friendly.

Legend

User Info Menu

^

I missed it as well Couldn’t leave work. When i got home one of the sports networks was replaying it...caught it at the 77th minute. Pretty entertaining from that point on. I am definitely getting out of here for next weeks friendly.
    Well, Ghetto, you make 4 of us that are the "original" football fans...we're growing in number.

By the way, I dig the "rockin cat"

Pappy

I just want to know what the cat is listening to.

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

I never thought I would see the day when NFL fans discussed soccer. This is a very sad day in the SMG household. Can I say that I'm disappointed in each and every one of you.

Trolls are people too.