Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL to shorten preseason, lengthen regular season?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: NFL to shorten preseason, lengthen regular season?

How could an extra Steeler game every year be a bad thing??? I say go for it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Right now, I think the NFL season is too long. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching football and don't mind the current 16 game schedule. However, adding another high intensity regular season game while entertaining can't be good for the players health and in the long run may diminish some of the playoff match ups due to injury.

I would prefer that they just eliminate 2 pre-season games and then start the regular 16 game season. Players are training year round and coaches are seeing their rookies at OTAs and other mandatory team events. There's no need for 4 pre-season games.

If they could get the Super Bowl back into the middle of January some outdoor teams could have a chance at hosting the Super Bowl (maybe).

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Right now, I think the NFL season is too long. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching football and don't mind the current 16 game schedule. However, adding another high intensity regular season game while entertaining can't be good for the players health and in the long run may diminish some of the playoff match ups due to injury.

I would prefer that they just eliminate 2 pre-season games and then start the regular 16 game season. Players are training year round and coaches are seeing their rookies at OTAs and other mandatory team events. There's no need for 4 pre-season games.

If they could get the Super Bowl back into the middle of January some outdoor teams could have a chance at hosting the Super Bowl (maybe).

Pappy
    I agree 100%. Sixteen games is enough. I'd be OK with 2 pre-season games and have them every two weeks starting in late July. I think the ones who lose out are rookies who would oose opportunities to get evaluated in game conditions. To fix that, I'd like to see practcie squads expanded and have them set up in a two tier system with half the roster in a "preferred developmental" status that they can't be signed away and the other half that can like in the current system. That way with a shortened pre-season you can still evaluate/develop rookies.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I like it the way it is. I dislike the idea of rotating the 17th game from NFC to AFC.
    Why. Some years you would be able to go to 9 Steeler regular season games and other years it stays at 8. I don't really see a problem with that. I'm sure you have been to a preseason game before? Is there anything more boring then that other then soccer?
    Hey, hey, hey, soccer was minding its own business, there's no need to bash soccer. The Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV rock.

Pappy

Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! Go Man U!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For the record I actually enjoy the preseason games. Kind of my "warm up games." I think of the preseason as my time to actually be a "regular fan." The games are basically stress-free. As long as we get through injury free I am happy.

During the regular season I am screaming and cussing. I get in trouble from wife/parents/neighbors. It's a mess.
    Personally, I like preseason games as well. It gives us a chance to see players that we may not see as much during the season -- perhaps glimpses at the future. Before Ben, I used to watch preseason with high hopes that we would discover our QB of the future to replace Kordell.

From a football perspective, I don't know what is needed. THe players and the coaches know that. The players and owners won't be objective as they may want the extra game for $$$ purposes.

I worry about what lengthening the season will do to the length of player's careers. Will it have an impact on their longevity? Or make the end of the season more subject to exhaustion (poor play) and injurires.

There are a lot of factors to consider... but I think it will happen regardless for financial reasons.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shiek2134
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    I like it the way it is. I dislike the idea of rotating the 17th game from NFC to AFC.
    Why. Some years you would be able to go to 9 Steeler regular season games and other years it stays at 8. I don't really see a problem with that. I'm sure you have been to a preseason game before? Is there anything more boring then that other then soccer?
    Hey, hey, hey, soccer was minding its own business, there's no need to bash soccer. The Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV rock.

Pappy

Pap, I'm with you on that one. In fact, taking a half day off work today to go watch the Euro Championship at an Irish pub here in Columbus. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join me! Go Man U!
    Didier Drogba is the finisher and Lampard will be the supplier. Wish I was there to join at the pub, particularly, since, we're on opposite sides of the match.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

I don’t know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    I don’t know if i should cut out early today to catch the ManU/Chelsea match or next Wed. for the US Mens team v. England. Cant do both. I can hear the Stella's calling me now....i think i feel a stomach ache coming on.

Ehh, its a friendly. Today is for the Championship! I actually went to US v. England friendly in Chicago a few years ago. Great experience.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Starter

User Info Menu

Ehh, its a friendly. Today is for the Championship! I actually went to US v. England friendly in Chicago a few years ago. Great experience.
    damn good point....Lion and Rose here i come!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

damn good point....Lion and Rose here i come!
    Sounds like we need a soccer forum..... :P
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.