Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers aren't making the playoffs?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers aren't making the playoffs?

The Steelers will make the playoffs after winning the AFC North with a 10-6 record. Every year the national sports media predicts the Steelers will fail. The anti-Steelers bias is just amazing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

steeld95

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The Steelers will make the playoffs after winning the AFC North with a 10-6 record. Every year the national sports media predicts the Steelers will fail. The anti-Steelers bias is just amazing.
    Yeah, it amazes me that people would pick the Browns or Ravens in the North. The Steelers have pretty much owned the division since the mid 90's and I don't see it changing this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeld95
    Yeah, it amazes me that people would pick the Browns or Ravens in the North. The Steelers have pretty much owned the division since the mid 90's and I don't see it changing this year.
    Ah, but they have to be able to say they picked it if they happen to get it right. These three all come around and becoem the sexy pick, but the tried-and-true Steelers always seem to get it done consistently. I'll take tried-and-true over one and done anyday.

Starter

User Info Menu

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. Year after year it is the same thing. Why is it that the Steelers are trated as the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL?

"No respect, I tell ya! No respect at all!"
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler mafia
    Exactly, I couldn't agree more. Year after year it is the same thing. Why is it that the Steelers are trated as the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of the NFL?

They get no respect because the owner doesn't seek national media attention so they can fill their ESPN sound bites. The Steelers don't invite the national media into their draft room. The Steelers generate no controversy in the off season to give journalists fodder for stories. To the national media we are just boring, hard working, blue collar types who aren't sexy enough to report on.

Oh and we are just successful being that way and it eats at the guts of those who have to find stories to make a living and keep their jobs. Keep in mind that there is very little real journalism going on. It is all about "wow" stories and soundbites that fit ESPN updates. The sports media is no different than the rest of the mainstream media.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They get no respect because the owner doesn't seek national media attention so they can fill their ESPN sound bites. The Steelers don't invite the national media into their draft room. The Steelers generate no controversy in the off season to give journalists fodder for stories. To the national media we are just boring, hard working, blue collar types who aren't sexy enough to report on.

Oh and we are just successful being that way and it eats at the guts of those who have to find stories to make a living and keep their jobs. Keep in mind that there is very little real journalism going on. It is all about "wow" stories and soundbites that fit ESPN updates. The sports media is no different than the rest of the mainstream media.
    I had a discussion with a co-worker today about the NBA playoffs. Mind you, I really could give a rats arse abotu the NBA, but I can hold a discussion about it. He hates the Spurs. So I ask, "why?" "Because they are boring" he says. Boring seems to be getting it done" I say. "Yea, but they are too boring", he replies

We live in a generation of sports center highlights and sound bites, as you have pointed out. People would rather have their team in the spotlight and lose, than be boring and win. it seems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Right on, Oviedo. I live in San Antonio, and the local basketball team here (Spurs) are surprisingly very much like the Steelers - hard working, blue collar, no chest thumpers, low tatoo quotient, Superstars who don't show up in your face on TV every 30 seconds, team-first orientation with passing emphasized before shooting (the equivalent, in my mind, of Hines working hard on his downfield blocking), etc.

The Spurs (like the Steelers) get no respect from the talking heads, because there are no headlines. I know some are not huge Cowher fans (and I'm not saying I am either), but he DID set the tone for the Steelers for many years - no showboating, just shut up and play.

It just makes it that much sweeter when we win some playoff games and more and shove it down the media's throat (remember how good the Seahawks were supposed to be going into Superbowl XL).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

SASF---I agree. I am really surprised to see how many in the national sportds media are actually rooting against the Spurs. They are a class team and organization.

BTW--San Antonio is a cool city. I've been there twice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

SASF---I agree. I am really surprised to see how many in the national sportds media are actually rooting against the Spurs. They are a class team and organization.

I almost took a job there a few years ago. There is still a part of me that wishes I had, but one thing is for sure, San Antonio is a very inexpensive and beautiful city.

LasVegasGuy

I am rooting for anyone to take out the Celtics. I would love nothing more then to see another Boston team with the best season record and have nothing to show for it.