Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who on defense could have a very good year and why?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Who on defense could have a very good year and why?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    ...I want teams to be afraid to play the Steelers again. And if the pass rush steps up, then that frees up all sorts of things. If the QB doesn't have any time, we can put Anthony "My Favorite Martian" Smith out on the field to ball hawk and knock heads... As long as we don't leave him responsible for the deep middle for more than 6 seconds or so, I think he's fine as FS. And you can't deny that kid can hit...
    What worries me about Smith is not his abilities, but his head. He needs to realize his job is safety, not linebacker. But, if he could ever figure out how to control his aggresiveness and still be affecting at stopping the run, he could be a really good one.
    Well you can't leave a DB in coverage for very long and expect success. I figure with Smith, the time that he's effective is even less. With Troy's ridiculous closing speed, maybe Troy should play FS and AS should move to SS..

Legend

User Info Menu

I think McFadden will have a career year. He beats out Townsend and proves he is the best DB on this team.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You heard it here..... Woodley is going to have 12+ sacks this year.

"So it was written.... so it shall be done."

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    In his second year starting at OLB James Harrison will improve on his probowl performance from last season.

The Bruce Davis pick has him so angry... he will likely break the all time forced fumble
    record... pretending the ball is Colbert's head.
    I think you are right about Harrison, but he is not exactly young. Bruce Davis is his replacement. I agree that I was hoping for OL in the 3rd, but the Steelers love Davis.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    In his second year starting at OLB James Harrison will improve on his probowl performance from last season.

The Bruce Davis pick has him so angry... he will likely break the all time forced fumble
    record... pretending the ball is Colbert's head.
    I think you are right about Harrison, but he is not exactly young. Bruce Davis is his replacement. I agree that I was hoping for OL in the 3rd, but the Steelers love Davis.
    Harrison is a young 30...I would say he has at least 5 more solid seasons.
    Trolls are people too.

LasVegasGuy

Ike Taylor. Last year he returned somewhat to form but he still has alot of upside potential. If he can lose the hands of stone and start catching balls I predict he will lead the league at some point in INT's.

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley may lead the NFL in sacks, if only due to his chances and his pass rushing skills.
    Agreed... also hoping for B-Mac
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

J_C_Steel

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Ike Taylor. Last year he returned somewhat to form but he still has alot of upside potential. If he can lose the hands of stone and start catching balls I predict he will lead the league at some point in INT's.

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+
    Did you know that Ike Taylor has picked off a pass in each of the Steelers' last three playoff games?

I'm J_C_Steel and that's your "Steeler Chestnut of the Day."

Legend

User Info Menu

Snack and Troy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I myself see Wood and Timmons having big years which will in turn equal to a better performance for the secondary as a whole. I see Wood having double digit sacks, and Timmons pushing the pocket from the middle which will reduce the need for Troy to be stuck in the middle of the line of scrimmage all the d**n time. I actually expect to see the return of Aaron Smith this year as well. Aaron was crushed last year when he was injured, if you remember he was visibly upset on the sidelines when he went down, so I expect to see some passion out of him this year.

As a whole I expect to see improvement from the entire defense. I understand that we led the league in total defense but it was situational defense that really broke down for us. Plus when we played the upper echelon teams we seem to struggle due to lack of pash rush. Insert the speed and strength of Wood and Timmons and I believe it will make all the difference in the world.

I'm going out on a limb and saying over 45 sacks as a team. Now lets just hope I'm not looking at it through rose colored glasses.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>