Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who on defense could have a very good year and why?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Who on defense could have a very good year and why?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Ike Taylor. Last year he returned somewhat to form but he still has alot of upside potential. If he can lose the hands of stone and start catching balls I predict he will lead the league at some point in INT's.

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+
    I'd love to see that explosion, and maybe it will come to fruition with a potentially improved pass rush. But I don't like that trend of INT totals he's had in his career. I know it would have to do with the "20 yards off the WR" technique Lebeau likes to employ, which sucks by the way! But I would like to have seen a spike earlier on to proclaim him having a "very good year" as the thread title asks.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shiek2134
    Ike Taylor. Last year he returned somewhat to form but he still has alot of upside potential. If he can lose the hands of stone and start catching balls I predict he will lead the league at some point in INT's.

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+
    I'd love to see that explosion, and maybe it will come to fruition with a potentially improved pass rush. But I don't like that trend of INT totals he's had in his career. I know it would have to do with the "20 yards off the WR" technique Lebeau likes to employ, which sucks by the way! But I would like to have seen a spike earlier on to proclaim him having a "very good year" as the thread title asks.

I agree I can't stand when they played 20 yards off of receivers which was the Lebeau/Cowher way of not being beat deep so everyone attacked us underneath. Last year I saw a big improvement with Tomlin/Lebeau and our DB's came up to the line which was nice to see. We just didn't have much help over the top with the injuries to Troy and Clark.

That is why I see a big year for Ike. We will have a better pass rush which will force quarterbacks to get rid of it much faster. We will also have the help over the top which will allow our DB's to take chances. Plus, Ike has the speed and agility to hang with the best of them. Now if he will just work on softer hands he can really be a difference maker.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+

I agree I can't stand when they played 20 yards off of receivers which was the Lebeau/Cowher way of not being beat deep so everyone attacked us underneath. Last year I saw a big improvement with Tomlin/Lebeau and our DB's came up to the line which was nice to see. We just didn't have much help over the top with the injuries to Troy and Clark.

That is why I see a big year for Ike. We will have a better pass rush which will force quarterbacks to get rid of it much faster. We will also have the help over the top which will allow our DB's to take chances. Plus, Ike has the speed and agility to hang with the best of them. Now if he will just work on softer hands he can really be a difference maker.
    As long as Ike got rid of these

he will be fine.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

LasVegasGuy

2003 - 0
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 6+

As long as Ike got rid of these

he will be fine.
    Actually I think those might be softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Who on the Steeler's defense will have a career year? I'll pick two:

1. I think that Kiesel will have the best season he has ever had. I'll bet 6+ sacks as a result of teams accounting for Woodley on the other side and Woodley forcing QBs to move to their left. I'll also predict 5+ sacks for Aaron Smith because of teams being forced to deal with Woodley's outside rush.

2. I also think that if LeBeau uses him properly, then Troy will be Top 3 in the league in INTs. I think the team will have seen the wear and tear the "blitz up the middle" scheme is taking on Troy and have him play back more. Adding Woodley will increase the pass rush to the point they were trying to do with Troy and make him wrestling 300+lbs OLmen not necessary. I also think that Timmons gets a better pass rush up the middle on blitzes than Foote or Farrior.

See the trend--Woodley and Timmons are the keys.
    Why am I not surprized you would pick Keisel??

I myself am gonna go with Woodley. I think he is going to really get a lot of attention this year. I'm thinking what I have all along....Shawne Merriman like numbers.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DVSONE

1. I think that Kiesel will have the best season he has ever had. I'll bet 6+ sacks as a result of teams accounting for Woodley on the other side and Woodley forcing QBs to move to their left. I'll also predict 5+ sacks for Aaron Smith because of teams being forced to deal with Woodley's outside rush.

2. I also think that if LeBeau uses him properly, then Troy will be Top 3 in the league in INTs. I think the team will have seen the wear and tear the "blitz up the middle" scheme is taking on Troy and have him play back more. Adding Woodley will increase the pass rush to the point they were trying to do with Troy and make him wrestling 300+lbs OLmen not necessary. I also think that Timmons gets a better pass rush up the middle on blitzes than Foote or Farrior.

I myself am gonna go with Woodley. I think he is going to really get a lot of attention this year. I'm thinking what I have all along....Shawne Merriman like numbers.
    Totally agree.I think Timmons will surprise alot of people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DVSONE

I picked Kiesel because of 2 factors: Woodley will force the QB in his direction and he knows it is this year or gone for him.

I agree that Timmons could have amonster year and I wouldn't be surprised if he has 5 sacks and 5 INTs. I think people are going to be surprised how well he can cover TEs and RBs.

I'm going with 10-12 Sacks for Woodley and 7-8 for Harrison.

The team total will approach 50.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

James Harrison and Aaron Smith.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

BIG FAN

I have to go with Woodley as well, with that first season under his belt I think he only gets better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guarantee that Anthony Smith will rebound from last years guarantee.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]