Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest Ideas for upcoming season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Contest Ideas for upcoming season.

I was wanting to get some ideas on future contest for the season. I know
    some people want FF...which I believe we will do. But, I was thinking we could
    have football betting thread (all play money of course). List the over/under
    each week. And let people place "bets" (starting money $1000) and see by the
    season who has the most. Who is the gambling guru? The award could be a
    PLAYAs award specific for the contest.

Who would be interested in something like that?

Any other ideas for contests?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Contest Ideas for upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

MSM?

What would be cool... include the over/unders as well as games against the spread... Each week, you pick any 6 (your personal LOCKS)... or whatever number sounds reasonable.

Another thing I've liked in the past (done in my office)... the "suicide/survivor" pools. To quote a web site (loosely).
    There are only 2 rules in an NFL (National Football League) Survivor Pool: You have to pick an NFL team to win (straight-up only, no point-spread) and you can’t pick the same team twice. The pool begins in Week 1 and ends when there’s only 1 participant (survivor) left. You win and you move on to next week, you lose and there’s always next year! That's it.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Absolutely spot on SOD. The suicide pools are excruciatingly fun. Escpecially when you get later on and are forced to decide which team is more likely to win among Detroit, Miami, Bungles, or Raiders. Lots of "strategery" involved in that kind of contest.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

MSM?

What would be cool... include the over/unders as well as games against the spread... Each week, you pick any 6 (your personal LOCKS)... or whatever number sounds reasonable.

Another thing I've liked in the past (done in my office)... the "suicide/survivor" pools. To quote a web site (loosely).
    There are only 2 rules in an NFL (National Football League) Survivor Pool: You have to pick an NFL team to win (straight-up only, no point-spread) and you can’t pick the same team twice. The pool begins in Week 1 and ends when there’s only 1 participant (survivor) left. You win and you move on to next week, you lose and there’s always next year! That's it.
    I think LVG mentioned a survivor pool that was point-spread-based (which I don't like) in another thread. I've done the non-point-spread-based survivor pools before at work, and it seems to work well. I'd be all for that for sure. Everyone can be involved too, since it doesn't take up a whole lot of time per week since all you have to do it pick one game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the survivor idea as well.

I have also been kicking the following around... let me know what you guys think:

It would be great to have a contest where we try to pick the most exciting game of the week at the beginning of each season. Kind of what Monday Night Football has to do. We could score the contest based on the closeness of the score, or whether a player had 3 or more touchdowns, etc. Criteria that make the game exciting. I was thinking of a working title: Monday Night Football Director.

What do you guys think?
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Starter

User Info Menu

I would definitely like to have a pick-em's contest during the season.Also,will we be doing an awards presentation such as the PLAYAS??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Simple contest:

We have members just select all the winning teams for each week

Also delineate a total score for Monday Night (this settles a tie breaker)

Winner is determined by the most collective wins.

Feedback?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Simple contest:

Feedback?
    I like the sound of that.Not too hard for newbs to understand.Sign me up.

Legend

User Info Menu

SoD, I really like that survivor contest. That's super easy to put together also.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Simple contest:

Feedback?
    I like the sound of that.Not too hard for newbs to understand.Sign me up.

It would be easy to tabulate and score. We used to do this same pool format at work (on the low-low of course, because gambling at work was not tolerated.... this is where I got my AngryAsian moniker.... my football pool name.... real wise, incognito name, because if the management found out about it, they could never find a Steeler fan that was asian )

by Monday night there could be 2-5 people in the hunt for the win and watching MNF and keeping an eye on the score..... as well as who will win, kept things interesting.