Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers must be able to compete at line of scrimmage

Re: Steelers must be able to compete at line of scrimmage

Flashsteel

The Right tackle postion for the Steelers was graded at 31st worst in 2006 by
    footballoutsiders. Starks earned his way on the bench. We won a SB with the guy.
    Maybe he can bounce back. But he wasn't worth 7 million. No other team wanted him.
    He didnt receive 1 offer.

JAgs were the better team. We played them twice. In the first game, Ben had
    3 TD pases (if memory serves) wilie parker somehow manged to have his best day at 7.3 yards per carry and we were down 20-7 or something like that. The 2nd game , the Jags were getting a pass rush with 3 and 4 men, and dropping everyone else back. They found out after the 1st game that they did not need to rush more than 4. My power ratings were thru the roof on Jacksonville by the time they reached the playoffs.
    The beat us twice at home. What more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Flashsteel

The Right tackle postion for the Steelers was graded at 31st worst in 2006 by
    footballoutsiders. Starks earned his way on the bench. We won a SB with the guy.
    Maybe he can bounce back. But he wasn't worth 7 million. No other team wanted him.
    He didnt receive 1 offer.

JAgs were the better team. We played them twice. In the first game, Ben had
    3 TD pases (if memory serves) wilie parker somehow manged to have his best day at 7.3 yards per carry and we were down 20-7 or something like that. The 2nd game , the Jags were getting a pass rush with 3 and 4 men, and dropping everyone else back. They found out after the 1st game that they did not need to rush more than 4. My power ratings were thru the roof on Jacksonville by the time they reached the playoffs.
    The beat us twice at home. What more do you need?
    First of all, get the name right brother.

Secondly like I said, you can make a strong case for either team but I'd expect the body of evidence which points to the Steelers to be trumpeted by Steeler fans. Take what you said and weigh it against the brief argument I put forward and there is no clear cut winner. I can promise you that any stats or subjective material you gathered to support your argument, I could build at least as compelling of a case for the Black-n-Gold. Yes, at the end of the day scoreboard rules, but that's not the sole determinant of who the better team was or is.

I'm fully aware of the stats you've dropped from football outsiders and there is no doubt that Starks had a down year in '06 (as did the whole team) but he was playing fat and out of shape. He came back to camp in '07 in tremendous condition and clearly outplayed Colon in according to all observations but was some how shifted to LT tackle to cover for Marvel while Colon stayed put at RT. As far as playing at $6.9M...dial me up when the season starts and I'll be scratching my head right along with you if that's what he plays at.

There is clearly nothing I can type in this space which will sway you or anyone else who is down on Starks, but one side will be eventually proven correct.

The smart money says Max will be a noticible upgrade over Colon.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies

I disagree completely. The biggest problem last year was

3RD AND LONG, 3RD AND LONG , 3RD LONG, PARKER NO GAIN, 3RD AND LONG, PARKER 2.7 YARDS UP THE MIDDLE. 3RD AND LONG, 3RD AND LONG 3RD AND LONG.

THank GOD we had a QB at mid season averaging 11 YPA and 70% completion percentage on 3rd and 8-10 yards. If it weren't for that, 6-10. YOu can't get rid of the ball quick when your stuck in third and long.
    $$$
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Hall of Famer

I again echo the sentiment that the draft turned out NOTHING like I expected.

It is hard to argue with the first 2 picks, given the way things played out.

I was disappointed that we didn't go either OL or DL in the 3rd - I hope Davis proves me wrong.

I admit that I know little about the OL we did take in the 4th.

If we had take one DL in the lower 3 rounds (in place of either Mundy or Humpal), most people would be a little more satisfied. I hope one of the 2 of them proves me wrong.

Dixon is the wild card -- if he is Slash reincarnate (Slash, not the QB named Kordell) then he will have been worth it.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I think the OL will surprise veryone this years for the following reasons:

1. Ben will be getting rid of the ball quicker. Biggest problem last year.
    2. We will see that Faneca isn't what his rep would have you believe. He got blown up quite a bit last year and it wasn't always Mahan's fault.
    3. Another year experience in the transition to zone blocking.
    4. Ben will have ayear experience calling the protections. IMO the second biggest problem last year.
    5. Addition of Mendenhall will help the power running games and keep defenses back on their heels. Add Russell and we will be able to wear out defenses.

I expect we give up less sacks because it is a number of factors that contribute to sacks not just OL blocking.
    Excellent points, but you forgot a very big factor-Let's all hope Marvel is healthy again.
    "I have a lot of confidence and a lot of faith in my blind side," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "A lot of guys in this league have to look over their shoulder quite a bit. I don't. I don't feel I have to. I have a lot of faith in him. He's a great tackle."

Smith has not allowed a sack this season, even though he has faced some of the better pass rushers in the NFL -- Julian Peterson led Seattle with 10 sacks last season and is tied for second in the NFL this year with six; Aaron Schobel led Buffalo last season with 14, three off the NFL lead, and Kamerion Wimbley led Cleveland last season with 11.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.