Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Off-Season For Starks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Strange Off-Season For Starks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Max Starks is NOT better than anyone we could have gone out and gotten. Saying that really is amazing!
    First off.... Glad to see your mug over here, bro . ...Now, who do you propose start in that position, and as well, the rest of the line?....

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Max Starks is NOT better than anyone we could have gone out and gotten. Saying that really is amazing!
    First off.... Glad to see your mug over here, bro . ...Now, who do you propose start in that position, and as well, the rest of the line?....
    Me?

I have

Marvel-Colon-Hartwig-Simmons-Starks

Next year I have our OL as:
    Robinson/Loadholt (next years draft)-Colon-Hartwig-Simmons-Hill

I hate Simmons I wouldnt mind seeing both Simmons and Starks gone next year, but I dont see that happening for some reason.

BIG FAN

Me?

I have

I hate Simmons I wouldnt mind seeing both Simmons and Starks gone next year, but I dont see that happening for some reason.
    I dont see it happening either Benny.
    Nice sig from house, but the proof is still in the pudding with patients.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have

Beautiful.... But there will have to be some serious work done to make that happen. The management will not turn over the line to a "rookie/unexperienced" group on the left side without due cause.....Not to mention that Hill has a long way to go to proving himself this season so as to cap the right.... We shall see. I'm not against it in any way, I just want to see production.

BigBen2112

BigFan:

Its ok you dont see it happening but the proof is in the pudding...Simmons is soft and Starks is slow. At RT he might be able to be OK if he's pushed and pushes himself and DOESNT let himself get fat and out of shape again. But Starks will never EVER be a LT...at least one worthy of anything. But we'll have to see.

BigBen2112

I have

Beautiful.... But there will have to be some serious work done to make that happen. The management will not turn over the line to a "rookie/unexperienced" group on the left side without due cause.....Not to mention that Hill has a long way to go to proving himself this season so as to cap the right.... We shall see. I'm not against it in any way, I just want to see production.
    Any of the top 8 OL that will probably go in the first round or who have 1st round grades next year are probably better than ANYONE we have on our team to play OL...especially since Marvel is hurt.

Phil Loadholt or Black could legitimately come in and be our Joe Thomas--although I think they'd struggle more immediately than Thomas would I think they'd be as good in the long run.

I mean hell, let me put it this way, our OL SUCKED last year and if the answer all along was basically on our team in the person of Max Starks then our coaching staff sucks for not putting him in there earlier...but lets be honest...he wasnt the answer then and he's not now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Marvel is now healthy....

BigBen2112

I thought Marvel is now healthy....
    Who the hell knows. Just b/c he says his back feels good doesnt mean anything. Hopefully he'll be ready to go...but I doubt we extend him too long since he'll want quite a penny, especially after we have given 6.9 million to STARKS!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I really think resigning Starks for what appears to be 6.9mil/year was the worst move the Steelers FO has made in years.
    The plan on both sides is to still get him to sign for a long-term contract, which is mentioned in the article. If he were to play at $6.9M next year, then I'd be scratching my head a little, but by no means would it even be close to the worst move they've made in years. Even if a long-term deal is reached, you have to figure that Starks' annual salary this upcoming year would be in the neighborhood of $3.5M plus any pro-rated portion of his signing bonus (let's give him $10M over 5 years) to put him around a cap hit of $5.5M.

Of course this is a complete guess, but if that number is close, then it's only a difference of $1.4M next year. What could that amount of money do for us? What could it have allowed us to do in free agency? The answer to both of those questions is nothing.

Max Starks is easily better than any tackle we could have drafted or that was available to us in free agency. There wasn't another player out there that we were targeting (with maybe the exception of Rex Hadnot) where that money could have made any difference.

Starks is a good tackle who got screwed by Larry Zierlein last year and I am willing to bet he has a great year. If that turns out to be the case, then those contract numbers all of the sudden become one hell of a bargain.
    Welcome Benny.

Now with the formalities out of the way, I challenge you to name one tackle that we could have picked up via trade, free agency, or the draft that you can say is definitively better than Max Starks.

Your assessment of him (as well as quite a few other posters') is simply wrong in my opinion. I admit he has been sluggish at times in the past due to his weight, but he's slimmed down quite nicely since last offseason. He's also a very gifted athlete for a man his size and has quick feet despite what many on the Trib board have said about him (I will remind everyone that he springs from the loins of the Browner family).

I may not scour the college draft like you do, but trust me as a long-time coach, play-by-play guy, and avid fan of the game that Max Starks is far better than you give him credit for.

BigBen2112

FLA...i know you are THRILLED that I am here as I always challenge you to this type of stuff.

I think you should read my subsequent posts on this matter. I have said he could be an adequate RT but will never be able to be a LT b/c he's too slow and would/will be eaten ALIVE by rush ends.

Starks doesn't suck...but he's not a LT and as a RT I really dont think he's worth more than 4.5 million per year. But then again Kendall Simmons isnt worth 6 million either!