Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable sack #

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Reasonable sack #

The pressure on Big Ben thread got me thinking. What is a reasonable sack # for Ben this season? What can we expect from at least two new starters on the oline? Remember, this team has given up nearly 100 sacks the past two seasons. If we can limit the sacks to under 30, I say we win 11+ games. If his sack # reaches 40+ again, it may be an 8-9 win season at best. Keep in mind Ben probably "causes" about 10 sacks himself, due to holding the ball too long or not dumping it off. Thoughts.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Re: Reasonable sack #

I'm going to make the predictions that Ben will get sacked 33 times this year. Not great, but better than 47!

It is hard for me to come up with a number that can equate to wins. The timing of the sacks is really the driving factor as to the outcome of games. Hypothetically we could give up 5 sacks in the 1st Quarter against the Ravens and still win the game, or we could give up only 1 sack to the Pats*, but still lose. Since this sack occured on 4th and goal with 30 seconds left, it had a greater impact on the outcome of the game.

But for Ben's health and the sake of the fans, I would like to see our sack givens up decrease over last year. So any improvement would suffice for me.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

We will have less sacks this season due to a more powerful running game. Teams will not be able to just pin their ears back and rush. Not to mention having Mendy as an outlet value will be a huge asset to the passing game this season.

Hall of Famer

I might be aiming low, but a 25% improvement would be nice....so I'll expect about 35.

Legend

With the additional weapons added to the offense, if they contribute as anticipated, and little to no injuries I see the sack total decreasing this season by 10-12. So I say 35-37. Still not great but better than 47 for sure!

Of course as the dude, or el dudarino, put forth...the situations when they occur will have an effect on the W-L outcomes. That's the part that I think is impossible to predict.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    It is hard for me to come up with a number that can equate to wins. The timing of the sacks is really the driving factor as to the outcome of games. Hypothetically we could give up 5 sacks in the 1st Quarter against the Ravens and still win the game, or we could give up only 1 sack to the Pats*, but still lose. Since this sack occured on 4th and goal with 30 seconds left, it had a greater impact on the outcome of the game.

But for Ben's health and the sake of the fans, I would like to see our sack givens up decrease over last year. So any improvement would suffice for me.
    Great points. I just think of it as a sack=wasted possession. I wonder of the 47 sacks last year, how many resulted in a punt or turnover on the possession it happened.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Maybe the ratio should be how many sacks = Ben's still healthy. I think if we can reduce the sacks from 28-35 we will be fine considering at least 10 of those will be Ben trying to make plays. so 18-25 on the line isn't so bad I guess. Time will tell, Hartwig is the key to our puzzle.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

I think it will be close to 30.Hopefully under.Really depends on how mcuh Hartwig brings to the table.Oh wait,he wasn't "given" the positon yet!!!

Answer to thread topic: 2 ... Though having a 3rd sack could prove to be advantageous if you were a polygamist and had to father several children. But I think two sacks are plenty.