Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Davis article....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bruce Davis article....

I had posted this elsewhere, and it drew a pretty good response "banter-wise"... I personally like the guy. I had heard the story about how he had sacked the qb a few times, then got up and "egged-on" the opposing crowd. ... He has potential for "Joey Porter" type leadership on the field and locker room. He has guts as well... During one game last season he came off the field hurt/worn-out, but after the commercial break he was right back on the field....

What's the other opinions about him?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davis doesn't have to look far for advice
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

If rookie linebacker Bruce Davis has any questions about life in the NFL, he won’t have to go far for an answer. The Steelers third-round draft pick from UCLA only has to pick up his phone and call home.

His father, Bruce Davis, Sr., played offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers, a career that spanned from 1979-89.

“It was the best experience that I could have as a little boy,” said Davis. “Every kid wants to grow up being like their dad, and I’m no exception. It just so happens that my dad was an NFL football player.

“He was always there for me growing up. He would help me scout out the guys that I would be playing the next week in college. He has been a great tool to have.”

Davis started every game last season for UCLA at right defensive end and amassed a team-high 12 tackles. He also led the Bruins with 15.5 tackles for a loss.

He will make a change in the NFL, though, as the Steelers plan on using him at outside linebacker. It’s something that he welcomes.

“I actually played outside linebacker my sophomore year at UCLA,” said the 6-3, 252 pound Davis. “I went to the Senior Bowl as an outside linebacker. I feel very comfortable and feel that I have the skills to do so.”

And the Steelers feel just as comfortable with him making that move. He won’t immediately be earmarked at the right or left outside spot, but instead work on both sides to see if he can be a player who can give the team some options.

“We’ve got to have somebody that can swing, play the left and right,” said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “We think he can do that and we think he can play inside linebacker if he had too. Coach (Dick) LeBeau liked that aspect of him from guys he’s had here in the past.”

The Steelers have a long tradition of converting defensive ends in a 4-3, to outside linebackers in the 3-4. They did so with Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, all of them having success.

“That’s a great sign,” said Davis. “There is definitely a rich tradition at outside linebacker. It is a great feeling to know that the coaching staff, and hopefully the people of Pittsburgh feel the same way about me. I know the tradition that I have to carry on. Tradition is very important to me.”

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Bruce Davis article....

I'm really excited about this guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I think he's gonna be a beast.... Not sure how much PT he'll get right out of the gate, though....

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I think he's gonna be a beast.... Not sure how much PT he'll get right out of the gate, though....
    Can't have too many wedge busters on special teams until he is ready to play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Can't have too many wedge busters on special teams until he is ready to play.
    Agreed.... But I could see them working him into the lineup.... Who knows till camp...

Legend

User Info Menu

Davis probably won't see the field much this year barring injury. But, if he shows his worth...believe this...Harrison will be tried out as an ILB come next training camp.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Davis probably won't see the field much this year barring injury. But, if he shows his worth...believe this...Harrison will be tried out as an ILB come next training camp.
    Question: ...How many more years does Harrison have on his deal? Would this become an issue in any way?

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe he is signed for the next two seasons. Could it become an issue? Yes. Will it? I sure hope not. The guy can play and I think he would thrive as an ILB personally.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Davis' role as a rookie this year should be pretty much the same as Woodley's role as a rookie last year. Gets a few plays here and there to come in as a pass rusher, giving the other guys a bit of a breather to keep them fresh. Also some special teams too.

I hope that their idea to expose him to the both strong side and weak side OLB duties right off the bat (so that he can be their "swing" guy) does not stunt his development by putting too much on his plate all at once. Sometimes it is better to have rookies focus on learning one thing so they can do it well before adding other responsibilities.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

steeld95

Once this guy gets some more muscle on him, he will be a stud. We can definitely use a speed rusher and he fits that bill. He definitely has room to add some muscle to that frame though which he will need in this league.