Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruce Davis article....

Re: Bruce Davis article....

I have six words for you, Weight room Weight room Weight room. I must admit I was very unhappy with this selection when it was made. I wanted an OL or DL. I was less then happy once I found out that his big production came against subpar teams. He need to Beef up. I am not going to knock on the guy before I see him play.....But he will have to impress me....
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    I have six words for you, Weight room Weight room Weight room. I must admit I was very unhappy with this selection when it was made. I wanted an OL or DL. I was less then happy once I found out that his big production came against subpar teams. He need to Beef up. I am not going to knock on the guy before I see him play.....But he will have to impress me....

His frame is very Jason Taylor-esque. I don't mind the lack of size, as long as the technique and the motor is there. With that wingspan he should challenge a lot of tackles, but the only question remains.... will he be able to apply the necessary pressure to be formidable. Last year, watching Woodley.... made me very excited about the prospect of seeing him in the starting role. The guy was instant impact for us when he stepped on the field. If Davis can utilize his PT this year in a similar manner..... we're going to be nasty this upcoming season.

If Bruce could come in and have an immediate impact on special teams I'd be happy.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    He played well against USC.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Shut up.
    :P

Hall of Famer

Yea, I'd like to see some "beefing-up" in the weight room, but still not too shabby for where we got him in the draft....

Overview:
    Bruce Davis is a high-energy, talkative pass rusher who will more likely move to outside linebacker at the next level.

Bruce Davis, Sr., was a member of two Super Bowl championship teams, playing offensive tackle with the Raiders (1979-87) and Houston Oilers (1987-89) after earning varsity letters from 1975-78 with the UCLA Bruins.

Having patterned his style of play after Miami's Jason Taylor, Bruce Davis Jr. showed during Senior Bowl practices that he might still be raw playing linebacker, but also displayed the athleticism and urgency in his play to do whatever it takes to get to the quarterback consistently. Despite giving up more than 50 pounds to opposing offensive tackles, Davis ranked second in school history with 29 quarterback sacks and third with 42.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

At Clear Creek High School, Davis received a six-star prospect rating from Max Emfinger's recruiting service and earned All-American accolades, in addition to being ranked 19th among the nation's defensive ends, according to Tom Lemming. He added Super Prep All-American and All-Southwest/Texas honors, as that recruiting service rated him the 20th-best overall prospect in the state.

The Prep Star All-American selection added All-Greater Houston area and All-League recognition as a senior. That season, he recorded 65 tackles (50 solo), 12 quarterback sacks and 17 stops for losses. As a junior, he registered 32 tackles, including eight sacks. He also lettered in track, competing in the long jump.

Davis originally agreed to attend the University of Arkansas, but later changed his mind and enrolled at his father's alma mater. During the 2003 season, he redshirted as a defensive end for the Bruins. The following season, Davis started the team's first two games at right defensive end, sharing that position with Justin Hickman and Brigham Harwell the rest of the year. He posted 17 tackles (11 solo) with 2.5 sacks and broke up one pass.

Davis shifted to strong-side linebacker prior to the 2005 campaign. Due to injuries, he also competed at defensive end that year. In 12 contests as a reserve, he was in on 28 tackles (17 solos) with a pair of sacks and six stops for losses. He also caused a fumble and showed his coverage skills by deflecting four passes.

Back at right defensive end, the coaching staff unleashed Davis while moving Hickman to the left side. Both of those players ended up with the team and Pac-10 Conference lead, while ranking fourth nationally with 12.5 sacks, the third-best season total in school annals.

Davis ranked second in the league with 17.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and produced 47 tackles (35 solos) while causing three fumbles and recovering two others. Even though he earned first-team All-American honors from College Football News, the league's coaches only selected him to the All-Pac 10 Conference second-team.

As a senior, Davis garnered All-American second-team and All-Pac-10 first-team honors. He started all year at right end, pacing the league while ranking ninth nationally with 12 sacks. He led the Bruins with 15.5 stops for losses, as he caused two fumbles and recovered another. He broke up nine passes and registered 45 tackles (32 solo).

In 50 games at UCLA, Davis started 28 contests at right defensive end. He recorded 137 tackles (95 solos) with 29 sacks for minus 170 yards and 42.5 stops for losses of 229 yards. He posted five quarterback pressures and deflected seventeen passes. He caused six fumbles and recovered three others, returning two for a total of 20 yards.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Shut up.
    :P
    It hurts me too.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Yea, I'd like to see some "beefing-up" in the weight room, but still not too shabby for where we got him in the draft....

Overview:
    Bruce Davis is a high-energy, talkative pass rusher who will more likely move to outside linebacker at the next level.

Bruce Davis, Sr., was a member of two Super Bowl championship teams, playing offensive tackle with the Raiders (1979-87) and Houston Oilers (1987-89) after earning varsity letters from 1975-78 with the UCLA Bruins.

Having patterned his style of play after Miami's Jason Taylor, Bruce Davis Jr. showed during Senior Bowl practices that he might still be raw playing linebacker, but also displayed the athleticism and urgency in his play to do whatever it takes to get to the quarterback consistently. Despite giving up more than 50 pounds to opposing offensive tackles, Davis ranked second in school history with 29 quarterback sacks and third with 42.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

At Clear Creek High School, Davis received a six-star prospect rating from Max Emfinger's recruiting service and earned All-American accolades, in addition to being ranked 19th among the nation's defensive ends, according to Tom Lemming. He added Super Prep All-American and All-Southwest/Texas honors, as that recruiting service rated him the 20th-best overall prospect in the state.

The Prep Star All-American selection added All-Greater Houston area and All-League recognition as a senior. That season, he recorded 65 tackles (50 solo), 12 quarterback sacks and 17 stops for losses. As a junior, he registered 32 tackles, including eight sacks. He also lettered in track, competing in the long jump.

Davis originally agreed to attend the University of Arkansas, but later changed his mind and enrolled at his father's alma mater. During the 2003 season, he redshirted as a defensive end for the Bruins. The following season, Davis started the team's first two games at right defensive end, sharing that position with Justin Hickman and Brigham Harwell the rest of the year. He posted 17 tackles (11 solo) with 2.5 sacks and broke up one pass.

Davis shifted to strong-side linebacker prior to the 2005 campaign. Due to injuries, he also competed at defensive end that year. In 12 contests as a reserve, he was in on 28 tackles (17 solos) with a pair of sacks and six stops for losses. He also caused a fumble and showed his coverage skills by deflecting four passes.

Back at right defensive end, the coaching staff unleashed Davis while moving Hickman to the left side. Both of those players ended up with the team and Pac-10 Conference lead, while ranking fourth nationally with 12.5 sacks, the third-best season total in school annals.

Davis ranked second in the league with 17.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and produced 47 tackles (35 solos) while causing three fumbles and recovering two others. Even though he earned first-team All-American honors from College Football News, the league's coaches only selected him to the All-Pac 10 Conference second-team.

As a senior, Davis garnered All-American second-team and All-Pac-10 first-team honors. He started all year at right end, pacing the league while ranking ninth nationally with 12 sacks. He led the Bruins with 15.5 stops for losses, as he caused two fumbles and recovered another. He broke up nine passes and registered 45 tackles (32 solo).

In 50 games at UCLA, Davis started 28 contests at right defensive end. He recorded 137 tackles (95 solos) with 29 sacks for minus 170 yards and 42.5 stops for losses of 229 yards. He posted five quarterback pressures and deflected seventeen passes. He caused six fumbles and recovered three others, returning two for a total of 20 yards.

Great read, NKy. Keep them coming. How could you read about our newly acquired players and not get excited about the possiblities of this upcoming season. As I've stated before... I'm really digging this youth movement our team seems to be migrating to. The D-line has to be addressed in 2009. I wouldn't mind a shut down corner either. I'm not the brainiac of the collegiate talent pool that some have. Hopefully they'll start posting their wish lists for 2009.

There is a lot of talent in camp. It's hard to imagine who goes and who stays. Nice position to be in.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!