Thread: Redskins release KR Mathis

LasVegasGuy

Redskins release KR Mathis

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- The Washington Redskins released former Pro Bowl kick returner Jerome Mathis on Thursday and signed undrafted rookie defensive end J.T. Mapu.

Mathis signed with Washington early last month, making him the only player from another team to join the Redskins during an unusually quiet free agency period before the draft. He made his practice debut during this month's minicamp.

Mapu had 65 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in four years at Tennessee. He attended the minicamp on a tryout basis.

Mathis made the Pro Bowl as a returner with the Houston Texans in 2005, but he was injured for most of the last two seasons and had two recent run-ins with the law. He became a free agent when the Texans opted not to make him a qualifying offer at the end of last season.

How in the world do you get cut one month after signing with a team and all you were involved in was practice?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Redskins release KR Mathis

Either he's still hurting from his injuries, sucks ass now, or was made an example of by the new head coach...pretty odd.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Either he's still hurting from his injuries, sucks bad word now, or was made an example of by the new head coach...pretty odd.

I thought about injuries but didn't he need to pass a physical before signing? The Redskins one and only free agent signing and they blew it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Being the Kool Aid drinker that I am (spiked with Crown Royal of course) I'm hoping they cut Randle-El and we somehow bring him back. Now for me that would rock.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Being the Kool Aid drinker that I am (spiked with Crown Royal of course) I'm hoping they cut Randle-El and we somehow bring him back. Now for me that would rock.

Unfortunately, El will demand a high price tag. He has his ring so now its time to get paid. Can't pass judgement on that.... but I never thought El was the Bettis type.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Unfortunately, El will demand a high price tag. He has his ring so now its time to get paid. Can't pass judgement on that.... but I never thought El was the Bettis type.
    As, El already got "paid." That is primarily why the skins may cut him. His price tag is ridiculously high for what he does.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

As, El already got "paid." That is primarily why the skins may cut him. His price tag is ridiculously high for what he does.

We all said it was ridiculously high when he left the Steelers. Now that he is injured and they have that payday starring them in the face we may see him released after June 1st. Will he be a Steeler again, I say probably not.

Backup

User Info Menu

Going into the draft, Washington wanted to draft D-Lineman. But as the the rounds played out, they ended up taking skill position receivers. So there was no need for him, and the need for more bodies on the D-Line outweighed what he could bring to the table, considering they still have ARE on their roster.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.