Thread: Hartwig signed by the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Hartwig signed by the Steelers

The Steelers appear to have signed Justin Hartwig as a center. Now we have 6 million a year tied up in the center position and the guys playing the position aren't named Dawson or Webster.

Bad signing IMHO, now, the Steelers probably won't draft Pollack or Sullivan and what was the purpose of protecting Stapleton last year by not exposing him to the practice squad.

Geesh...I can't make heads or tails out of this one, but, it seems like wasted money to me.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Hartwig signed by the Steelers

It is confusing, the only thing I can hope for is that he plays like he did when he was with the Titans... The other positive here is they are trying to address areas of need on the team. Years have gone by and we've all known about the weak Oline and yet it wasn't addressed. I'm hoping this is some Tomlin influence and it extends as far as him thinking about a replacement for Hartwig in this years draft. He did say we need to get younger on the lines, time will tell I guess...
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

steeltownfan

Do you think this signing buys Stapleton one more year to develop into the Steelers starting OC?

I think the signing of Hartwig could be a temporary patch for Stapleton... thoughts?

steeld95

yeah, I think it is more of a patch signing. It was obvious that Mahan is just not going to get it done. He is too undersized to be playing center in the NFL. It is at least an upgrade, although not a long term fix at all. This is only a short term fix though, we are gonna have to address this position in the near future again.

Legend

User Info Menu

This signing is very concerning. First, Hartwig is a fuggin sieve. The guy gave up 3 sacks in one game last season. He was a bad center on a bad line. It speaks volumes about how the Steelers feel about Stapleton and Mahan. This signing means we are in deeper doo than I had originally thought. I have agree with Pappy...terrible signing.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownfan
    Do you think this signing buys Stapleton one more year to develop into the Steelers starting OC?

I think the signing of Hartwig could be a temporary patch for Stapleton... thoughts?
    I think I can be a number of things:
    1. Holding place for Stapleton
    2. Holding place for new draft pick
    3. or holy crap this guy is good let's sign him for 2 more years and worry about drafting one later.

I'm good with any of those options as long as we have a solid line again.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope Hartwig is merely a stop gap to develop a rookie or Stapleton.
    Trolls are people too.