PDA

View Full Version : Pauline sez Steelers trying to trade UP for...

Buzz
04-23-2024, 06:53 PM
...CB Quinyon Mitchell

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/pauline-steelers-trying-to-trade-up-for-toledo-cb-quinyon-mitchell/

think this is the same guy who said, just a minute ago, that they had their sights set on Graham Barton, so take it with a grain of salt

honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to this as long as we don't have to give up too much in the trade
still need to beef up a couple spots on the OL and snag a WR

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2024, 07:43 PM
Tomlin reportedly loved Quinyon Mitchell at the Senior Bowl.

would cost us our 1st and 2nd to move up to #12 in a trade with Denver:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/23/steelers-broncos-trade-nfl-draft-quinyon-mitchell/

WindyCitySteel
04-23-2024, 08:27 PM
I can imagine how important these guys must feel when team execs and insiders text them complete bullsquat that they believe is legit.

"And then we told him we're taking Malik Willis at #2 overall"

https://i.imgflip.com/mdmfc.jpg?a475872

SteelerOfDeVille
04-23-2024, 11:44 PM
I would imagine the team is sticking feelers out to gauge what it cost to trade and who would be open to trade.

I also would imagine they have not told anyone who they are trading up for.

My money is on offensive tackle. Fuaga and Latham are the targets, IMO. Dedicated and PROVEN right tackles who are agile enough to get to the second level, but are people movers.

If they are all gone and the team cannot trade up, that is where CB comes into play.

I think they grab a center in the third, hoping that SVP is still on the board, but i wouldn?t be shocked by a small move to secure him.

Oviedo
04-24-2024, 08:02 AM
I'd hate to waste the draft capital to trade up and get a CB. We have other needs and you can get a good CB later without wasting draft capital

The only Tackle I can see them trading up for is Fuaga. Despite the doubts, I'm very comfortable with Mims

Shawn
04-24-2024, 08:07 AM
This is complete nonsense. This will never happen. The Wiggins is the better DB and should be sitting at 20 if the Steelers roll DB.

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2024, 08:12 AM
I'd hate to waste the draft capital to trade up and get a CB. We have other needs and you can get a good CB later without wasting draft capital

The only Tackle I can see them trading up for is Fuaga. Despite the doubts, I'm very comfortable with Mims

Mims is an upside play, planet-theory guy. If we take him, we may have to suffer through another season of Dan Moore. Probably why we remade the QB room with guys who can escape a collapsing pocket.

Oviedo
04-24-2024, 08:49 AM
This is complete nonsense. This will never happen. The Wiggins is the better DB and should be sitting at 20 if the Steelers roll DB.

I hope it is nonsense

Iron City Inc.
04-24-2024, 08:55 AM

I like some smoke out there for us. Breath of fresh air.

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2024, 09:17 AM
It's smoke, look at the chart NC posted -- he didn't make it. This is coming from his agent or from Denver.

"BuzzNuter"
04-24-2024, 09:32 AM
Mims is an upside play, planet-theory guy. If we take him, we may have to suffer through another season of Dan Moore. Probably why we remade the QB room with guys who can escape a collapsing pocket.

I have a question I would like to ask. I am just trying to be logical. If Moore was so bad why didn't we move Jones to LT and let Okafor play RT?

I did not see Moore as being that terrible. Was is because we didn't think Jones was good enough yet? Why would say a Mims be good enough to play right away? I am curious how many Yinzers think Moore is bad?

This is why I don't think the Steelers are thinking an OT in Rd1. They have never let out that Moore is bad. I can see Barton at #20 because he plays LT but he can play Center. If that's the case, then we are bringing in all these OTS to put up smoke because the Bengals need an OT and Barton may be the next in line around 18 to 22 and we want him. I'm sure we play games like that. Remember the Bengals burned us when we picked Argue Burns.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-24-2024, 09:45 AM

I don't think that Mims as seen as a gateway to a full season of Moore, rather he will be seen more as a Broderick Jones play. His inexperience might keep him off the field week one, but at some point he'll be ready (hopefully sooner rather than later) and when he is they can make the move. They are just one season away from pulling this same move.

I'd be interested to know about the group dinner outing with Bulldogs players last year. Tomlin would have asked the question about who he should be looking out for this year. The year before the unanimous answer was Broderick Jones - and they traded up to draft him one year later. I wonder who they would have named for this year's class.

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2024, 09:49 AM
I have a question I would like to ask. I am just trying to be logical. If Moore was so bad why didn't we move Jones to LT and let Okafor play RT?

Because Okorafor made a snide comment about Tomlin's boy, Canada, and got benched and then exiled.

The Steelers aren't showing so much interest in OTs because they have faith in Moore. He's done.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-24-2024, 09:55 AM

I did not see Moore as being that terrible. Was is because we didn't think Jones was good enough yet? Why would say a Mims be good enough to play right away? I am curious how many Yinzers think Moore is bad?

This is why I don't think the Steelers are thinking an OT in Rd1. They have never let out that Moore is bad. I can see Barton at #20 because he plays LT but he can play Center. If that's the case, then we are bringing in all these OTS to put up smoke because the Bengals need an OT and Barton may be the next in line around 18 to 22 and we want him. I'm sure we play games like that. Remember the Bengals burned us when we picked Argue Burns.

Let's look at this another way. Dan Moore is a hard worker and I think a guy who the coaches like. However, what is his upside? I don't think that anyone believes he can be better than average to maybe slightly above average.

Last season the Steelers brought in an assistant GM from the Eagles, a team who went to the Super Bowl twice in a six year period, and enjoyed much more success recently than the Steelers. The Eagles have done that by building the trenches, especially Oline.

Given that Moore's upside is quite low, and a first rounder's upside is much higher, the best path forward for the OL is the higher upside guy, and if your focus is building the most dominant line you can then Moore is not your tackle of the future. The fact that he wasn't replaced by Chuks is irrelevant because he wouldn't be part of the line of the future either.

Oviedo
04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
I don't think that Mims as seen as a gateway to a full season of Moore, rather he will be seen more as a Broderick Jones play. His inexperience might keep him off the field week one, but at some point he'll be ready (hopefully sooner rather than later) and when he is they can make the move. They are just one season away from pulling this same move.

I'd be interested to know about the group dinner outing with Bulldogs players last year. Tomlin would have asked the question about who he should be looking out for this year. The year before the unanimous answer was Broderick Jones - and they traded up to draft him one year later. I wonder who they would have named for this year's class.

The challenge is if you start with Moore on the left and Jones on the right, you have to make a mid-season switch to insert Mims. Not ideal.

"BuzzNuter"
04-24-2024, 10:28 AM
Because Okorafor made a snide comment about Tomlin's boy, Canada, and got benched and then exiled.

The Steelers aren't showing so much interest in OTs because they have faith in Moore. He's done.

I never thought this way. If Mike Tomlin actually did act according to your logic, then he's been the HC too long.

In that case we aren't going to do anything until a person who operates like that is history. We won't do crap until we get new leadership.
I don't necessarily buy into what you're saying but if true that is a sad state of affairs.

Northern_Blitz
04-24-2024, 10:40 AM

They both got sacked a lot last season though.

I don't know how it's calculated, but PFR has a stat in adjusted passing called Sack%+. It compares guys across the league with 100 as the average number for sack rate. Higher numbers are better.

In 2023:

Kenny was around average at 102
Wilson was below average at 84
Fields was the worst of the three at 73

I think that all three of these guys had higher than average "time to throw" (at least I think I've heard that, but don't have a source).

Seems like sack rates are higher with the guys we got. But you also get more return on them holding the ball (i.e. TD passes, yards, etc).

I think we went with the guys we did because (1) they were cheaper, (2) our draft capital improved, and (3) the guys we got are more accurate passers than KP.

2023 Bad% / OnTrgt%

Kenny: 18.4% / 71.6%
Wilson: 13.2% / 77.9%
Fields: 16.8% / 73.0%

I think it's also worth thinking about in relation to intended air yards / attempt.

2023 IAY/Attempt

Kenny: 7.0
Wilson: 7.1
Fields: 8.0

Wilson was also in a throw short offense, but his play (TDs, accuracy, yards, etc) was better. Fields was throwing the ball downfield more.

I think we still won't ask a ton from our QBs. But I think they'll be able to do the things we ask of them better than we've seen recently.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-24-2024, 11:34 AM
The challenge is if you start with Moore on the left and Jones on the right, you have to make a mid-season switch to insert Mims. Not ideal.

Not ideal, but moving to the left side should work for Jones as he is going back to his natural position. Give him a little bit of time there during training camp and just get him back home once there is a RT worthy of the position. Not ideal but should be an upgrade.

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2024, 12:18 PM
I never thought this way. If Mike Tomlin actually did act according to your logic, then he's been the HC too long.

In that case we aren't going to do anything until a person who operates like that is history. We won't do crap until we get new leadership.
I don't necessarily buy into what you're saying but if true that is a sad state of affairs.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/reports-reveal-pittsburgh-steelers-chuks-okorafor-said-benching

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2024, 12:25 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/reports-reveal-pittsburgh-steelers-chuks-okorafor-said-benching

Chuks basically said that we should quit.

I would have benched his arse too after saying that.

feltdizz
04-24-2024, 12:30 PM

Because Chuks was more expensive and we didn’t plan on resigning him?

Plus I think Moore is a better run blocker than Chuks

WindyCitySteel
04-24-2024, 01:51 PM

DJ and Pickens literally quit on plays and Tomlin defended them.

"BuzzNuter"
04-24-2024, 01:59 PM

No, I think he implied that the team quit doing the same old thing, getting our a**es handed to us and expecting a different outcome.

If he said this to another player then just frustration, so what. I still stand by my post, you can't dismiss a player for the remainder of the season over what you overheard. Did he say it to Mike Tomlin, still , set him a game.

You mean we set our whole future draft philosophy and personnel decision making going forward by heresay by the head coach. We never moved Jones to LT and let Okafor play RT because of something that was said about an obviously inept Offensive Coordinator.

I don't buy it or should I say that If someone decided to act in such a manner and that someone was Mike Tomlin. I'm not buying it but if it's true if we fail this year then Mike Tomlin should be sh*tcanned.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2024, 03:20 PM
now there's a rumor our possible trade-up target is OT Joe Alt.

https://www.steelernation.com/2024/04/24/steelers-beaming-joe-alt

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-24-2024, 03:57 PM

Assuming this is correct....he is Chuks Okorafor. If he was Jonathan Ogden he gets a quiet talk behind closed doors and he is back out there next Sunday. Chuks did not lose his job because he spoke out. He lost his job because he is not important enough to speak out (assuming it is all true).

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Assuming this is correct....he is Chuks Okorafor. If he was Jonathan Ogden he gets a quiet talk behind closed doors and he is back out there next Sunday. Chuks did not lose his job because he spoke out. He lost his job because he is not important enough to speak out (assuming it is all true).

Agreed, Tomlin himself has admitted that he will tolerate you until he can replace you.

The Steelers were looking for an opportunity to insert Broderick Jones into the starting lineup, and Chuks gave it to them.

feltdizz
04-25-2024, 09:02 AM
DJ and Pickens literally quit on plays and Tomlin defended them.

if we had a #1 WR behind these 2 I think they would’ve been benched too.

DJ was shipped out.

I never bought the idea of Chuks being benched for his words. We weren’t going to extend him and had Jones waiting. It was bound to happen at some point this season.

I think pointing out that we didn’t bench other players for similar actions isn’t a sign Tomlin is a hypocrite, its actually a sign that it was about overall performance and inserting Jones when we thought he was ready.

feltdizz
04-25-2024, 09:21 AM
Agreed, Tomlin himself has admitted that he will tolerate you until he can replace you.

The Steelers were looking for an opportunity to insert Broderick Jones into the starting lineup, and Chuks gave it to them.

it was going to happen regardless if Chuks supposedly said something.

We didn’t move up to draft Jones to sit him all season. The idea that Chuks being silent would’ve kept him safe is ridiculous. We were trying to win games. This is why Jones was inserted and its why the running game took off once he was at right tackle. I think Jones whiffing on a few sacks at RT is also why he wasn’t inserted at LT his rookie year.

Oviedo
04-25-2024, 10:08 AM

Never happen. Would require too much draft capital. Now trading up to get Taliese Fuaga, that is possible although still expensive.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-25-2024, 02:03 PM
Never happen. Would require too much draft capital. Now trading up to get Taliese Fuaga, that is possible although still expensive.

I can't see the team trading up a second time for a LT. That would eliminate Alt and Fashanu. This year there are quite a few first round options at RT:

Latham
Fautanu (college LT)
Fuaga
Mims
Guyton

Assuming you are even thinking RT in the first, is the difference between these guys worth giving up maybe one of the third rounders, which could eliminate the pick of a CB, WR, DL etc? So, it could be a decision between Latham or Fuaga vs. Mims or Guyton + Devontez Walker, Brenden Rice, Malachi Corley, Johnny Wilson type.

Northern_Blitz
04-25-2024, 03:34 PM

You never know, but I think we have too many needs to trade up.

Buzz
04-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Yet according to the latest from Rappaport, Steelers are "one of a handful of teams" today who are making calls about trading up

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/rapoport-steelers-calling-teams-about-trading-up-in-draft/

personally, I think there might be better value in trading back a little ways in round 1

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2024, 06:48 PM
Yet according to the latest from Rappaport, Steelers are "one of a handful of teams" today who are making calls about trading up

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/rapoport-steelers-calling-teams-about-trading-up-in-draft/

must be for Bo Nix :p

Prowler
04-25-2024, 07:17 PM
All I have to say is I'll have a stroke for sure if they trade up for a CB. I have no confidence in this coaching staff developing a corner.

whatever
04-25-2024, 07:29 PM
All I have to say is I'll have a stroke for sure if they trade up for a CB. I have no confidence in this coaching staff developing a corner.

I don’t even want one at #20.

Barton at #20 or trade back for one of the other two Cs.

Prowler
04-25-2024, 07:37 PM
I don’t even want one at #20.

Barton at #20 or trade back for one of the other two Cs.

I agree 100%.